: Deer Hair Jigs

Tunadew
11-19-2003, 11:48 AM
I just started to tie my own deer hair jigs for walleye in Indiana, and I was wondering what are the best sizes and color patterns for walleye at this time of the year and throughout the winter. I have been getting a lot of walleye on white and chartreuse and gray and white. But recently I have not been able to hook up.

Any info would be great, thanks!

Tight Lines!

eyedoktr
11-19-2003, 12:15 PM
My two favorites for the lake I used to fish alot are brown with just a little yellow on a brown lead round head (1/8th or 1/4 oz). The second best was just black on a black head with maybe some yellow or red thread around the neck. same sizes as above.

mudpuppy
11-19-2003, 03:37 PM
Have to agree that the black with red thread is a good fall color . Have you ever tried tying one like a muddler minnow fly pattern ? It makes a bulkier jig that works well sometimes . Tie in a hackle tail , then bring your thread forward to about 1/4 inch from the head . Lay a tuft of deer tail on hook shank , then wrap your thread loosely around the hair 2-3 times , about 3/8 inch from cut end . Pull tight & it'll flare into a full bodied jig . Whip finish & trim . Natural Brown/Gray is my favorite in that pattern , but others will work . I've usually got a selection of 1/8 to 1/2 oz. to cover all depths .

Tunadew
11-19-2003, 05:21 PM
Hey thanks for the help fellas. I have to use a little lighter heads due to all the rocks in the Tippecanoe River, but i will tie up some patterns of those colors and give them a shot this weekend. Fish on!