: Ranger VS1780 Aluminum DeepV

Fenterspooner
01-11-2014, 06:35 PM
Saw this online today and looks very nice. Should rival Lund in quality and probably exceed them. Looks like I'm going to St Paul to get a look at one of these.

Fenterspooner
01-11-2014, 06:39 PM
Saw this online today and looks very nice. Should rival Lund in quality and probably exceed them. Looks like I'm going to St Paul to get a look at one of these.

Here is a pic

bassin08
01-11-2014, 07:13 PM
Looks really nice!

bluchaser
01-11-2014, 08:04 PM
what picture?

ozarkeyes
01-11-2014, 08:42 PM
Here's some pics from their Facebook page

Ohio Joe yo
01-12-2014, 06:19 AM
Well, based on the pics I see absolutely nothing appealing, ground breaking, or flashy about the Ranger what-so-ever. It does NOT look well defined but in fact very simple, almost bland and bare bones. The only thing I see that would even give a single "wow" factor would be the Ranger decal on the side. If you want to pay extra for that go ahead. Looks like a snoozer to me. I doubt it will sell well at all. I'd put my trust in the established Aluminum deep-v manufacturers like Lund, Alumacraft, and G3 way before that Ranger.

Fenterspooner
01-12-2014, 09:03 AM
http://www.anglersportmarine.com/boat_detail.php?inv=541

Here is a link to many more pics. I'm not saying its a great boat but Ranger does build quality products so it will be interesting to see if that transfers to these. It looks similar to the Lund Impact series but this boat is welded.

I don't own a a Lund or Ranger but I think it's great to see more options for us aluminum boat guys.

Ohio Joe yo
01-12-2014, 09:37 AM
After seeing even more photos I still say, "meh". Bow storage bins are too small for anything. Bow area itself is boring and bland. I see no bow cargo netting or bow motor trim. Where's the radio? Not enough cup holders either. I would never want a deep-v with carpet so it should have marine vinyl instead. Dont like the dash or the bland gunmetal color. Good luck getting riggers and larger rod holders on those skinny gunnels. Don't want a welded hull. Hopefully you can get your choice of motor. If it's priced to sell at $25K then it will do ok on name recognition alone. If it's anything higher then that for what I see you can forget it ........ try again.

kliph
01-12-2014, 11:47 AM
After looking at the pictures I see NO rivets.
But I do see welds. Oh my!:D

If Ranger wanted to be like Lund it would have put 1000 rivets in the
hull. Maybe it wants to be like Crestliner and not worry about leaking
rivets in the hull.

Besides, what is the dead rise?

wiredog
01-12-2014, 12:03 PM
Looks like a Triton with Ranger decals. :huh: Wiredog

kliph
01-12-2014, 12:24 PM
Looks like a Triton with Ranger decals. :huh: Wiredog

Owned by the same company as Triton, Platinum Equity LLC.

http://www.platinumequity.com/PBH-Marine-Group

Fred 407eyez
01-12-2014, 01:28 PM
If Ranger wanted to be like Lund it would have put 1000 rivets in the
hull. Maybe it wants to be like Crestliner and not worry about leaking rivets in the hull. .... and maybe it'll end up with weld isssues like tracker. Rivets are easy to fix while welds not so much ...... If they are good enough for airliners then that's good enough for me. I fear cracks and cracks are whack!!

kliph
01-12-2014, 01:35 PM
.... and maybe it'll end up with weld isssues like tracker. Rivets are easy to fix while welds not so much ...... If they are good enough for airliners then that's good enough for me. I fear cracks and cracks are whack!!

What happens when an airplane lands on the water.......it sinks.
That's why ships are welded.

Fred 407eyez
01-12-2014, 01:57 PM
What happens when an airplane lands on the water.......it sinks.
That's why ships are welded.Ultra high grade aircraft aluminum isn't easily weldable thus the rivets. A pressurized and stressed airframe would crack at the welds if done so and down you go. I'll take my chances sinking in an airplane vs. it coming apart in midair with a weld! :D Ships also have steel and I'll bet that Ranger doesn't. The navy is having quite few problems with weld cracks in their new ships from what I have read over the past couple of years. But tomato, potato, tit-for-tat I guess.

NEBRASKA JOHN
01-12-2014, 05:11 PM
Looks like a Tracker with 5 thousand dollar decals.:shocked:

Jigem
01-12-2014, 05:14 PM
My boat, rivets, no leaks. My brothers, welded several cracks and leak. Think I'll keep my rivets.

kliph
01-12-2014, 05:31 PM
My boat, rivets, no leaks. My brothers, welded several cracks and leak. Think I'll keep my rivets.

How did I know this was going to happen? :boxing:

Yarhcaz
01-12-2014, 05:34 PM
This is crazy...people can be so dense. Guess what in the real world sometimes rivets come loose and leak...and sometimes welds crack and leak. Now that Lund and Crestliner are owned by the same people I would think that some of this would go away. Hey I know solve the problem and get a glass boat :D

I_Just_Fish
01-12-2014, 06:00 PM
Looks like the seats are comfy. Has those fancy pop-up tie downs. Wondering if the fuel tank is in the bow, seeing the filler is up front. Think I'll run up to Warsaw this week and take a look at it.

Sprinklerfitter
01-12-2014, 06:09 PM
This is crazy...people can be so dense. Guess what in the real world sometimes rivets come loose and leak...and sometimes welds crack and leak. Now that Lund and Crestliner are owned by the same people I would think that some of this would go away. Hey I know solve the problem and get a glass boat :D

Then you gotta worry about cracks and spider webs in the gelcoat.:eek::D

Yarhcaz
01-12-2014, 06:22 PM
Just get all white! My favorite...and those don't take on water :D

Then you gotta worry about cracks and spider webs in the gelcoat.:eek::D

basscatcher89
01-13-2014, 08:04 AM
I dont think it was meant to be flashy with all the wow factor that some are disappointed in seeing. They wanted to enter the aluminum deep v market with an affordable boat. If you want flashy and ranger go buy a 620.

Jason Minnesota
01-13-2014, 10:23 AM
If it was meant to be affordable then why can't I seem to find a pricepoint for this model anywhere on the web? If it was going to be a "entry level deal" why are they not promoting this affordable deal? I think it is going to cost plenty based on the Ranger name but not worth it in this case. Anyone got a $$$ amount on this boat? I've been able to scope out between 25K on one site and upper 30's, near 40k on another.

T Mac
01-13-2014, 10:24 AM
. Now that Lund and Crestliner are owned by the same people I would think that some of this would go away.

Just so you know....They have been owned by the same company for decades. It used to be Genmar.
Now they are both owned by Brunswick.

basscatcher89
01-13-2014, 02:50 PM
If it was meant to be affordable then why can't I seem to find a pricepoint for this model anywhere on the web? If it was going to be a "entry level deal" why are they not promoting this affordable deal? I think it is going to cost plenty based on the Ranger name but not worth it in this case. Anyone got a $$$ amount on this boat? I've been able to scope out between 25K on one site and upper 30's, near 40k on another.

Going to have to wait until Ranger updates their website for actual numbers but I've been told low 20's. I think 70 or 90 is the biggest motor you can put on one. And so far they only have plans for a 16 foot and 17 foot model.

Jason G3
01-13-2014, 03:17 PM
Going to have to wait until Ranger updates their website for actual numbers but I've been told low 20's. I think 70 or 90 is the biggest motor you can put on one. And so far they only have plans for a 16 foot and 17 foot model.I'll bet it's more then that! The one in the previously posted attached picture is a 17.8" with a 115 Merc on it so it'll push the price point easily to $25K+ ....

crappieman
01-13-2014, 03:20 PM
Jason could very well be right, their foray into the new aluminum bass boat market are lower 20's for 17 foot 115 hp motors.

2sac
01-13-2014, 04:58 PM
Jason could very well be right, their foray into the new aluminum bass boat market are lower 20's for 17 foot 115 hp motors.
The RT188 with the 115 is roughly 22k

COOLERKING
01-13-2014, 05:47 PM
Looks like a glorified Tracker, Skinny side Gunnels ... Have not seen in person
and would like to see before passing judgement! Also did the transom look like
it had room for a kicker? Ranger is top notch, worth a look!

Jack

Jason G3
01-13-2014, 06:21 PM
The RT188 with the 115 is roughly 22k What is your source? Link?

crappieman
01-13-2014, 06:30 PM
Jason, I saw that pricing on the ranger website under aluminum models. They are crappie and bass boat models only though. The new one here is not on their site that I could find.

greyghost
01-13-2014, 06:34 PM
Looks to be lacking storage IMO lots of wasted space. Fit and finish looks ok,

2sac
01-13-2014, 06:36 PM
What is your source? Link?

There's a ongoing discussion on bass boat central in the tin boat forum. Guys are paying between 19 and 25 depending on motor and equipment

crappieman
01-13-2014, 06:38 PM
here the price from their site of the 188C couldn't get the pic

2014 Tournament RT188C
with Evinrude® 90DPL BLUE
and Trailer

Priced To Be Yours®
$20,095*U.S. Learn more
Built to be Yours
Boat Package: $ 20,095*
Optional Features: $ 0
Your Price: $ 20,095*

mudpusher
01-13-2014, 06:57 PM
Rivets, welds or glass ? Leave them in the garage and they will look like new when I die. My boats have all been in places they shouldn't have been. New boats are BIG $$$, fishing with my dad and my sons ... priceless !

Jason G3
01-14-2014, 02:29 AM
There's a ongoing discussion on bass boat central in the tin boat forum. Guys are paying between 19 and 25 depending on motor and equipmentYou guys are not pricing the boat being discussed in this thread or the new deep V model in the original post and picture. This boat just came out ........

Box
01-14-2014, 03:39 PM
Rivets, welds or glass ? Leave them in the garage and they will look like new when I die. My boats have all been in places they shouldn't have been. New boats are BIG $$$, fishing with my dad and my sons ... priceless !

:rock-on:
Heck, my walleye boat has duck blood in it even ;)

I think the new alum Rangers look nice. I do get a kick out of glass boat companies saying glass is best, better than alum, and then they start pushing alum... and vice versa. But it's all about trying to get a piece of the pie. I am a fan of sticking to what one is good at, however.

I guess that is why I fish for pleasure and not for a living... I would starve! But I do have fun :)

queenswake
01-14-2014, 04:41 PM
:rock-on:
I do get a kick out of glass boat companies saying glass is best, better than alum, and then they start pushing alum... and vice versa. But it's all about trying to get a piece of the pie. I am a fan of sticking to what one is good at, however.
:)

I think it has to do with how certain boat brands dominate certain areas of the country. While Alumacraft, Lowe, and Crestliner do sell outside of the upper midwest and north east, they primarily sell the jons or modified jons in those areas. Ranger is hoping their popularity down there will make people consider the deep v aluminum.

No different than upper midwest's darling Lund getting into the fiberglass market.

But yeah, it is funny how both Lund and Ranger have joined their respective dark sides. lol

ib_jigged
01-15-2014, 05:17 AM
It looks good, not a lot of storage, but what is with the sparkly console? Us tin guys, don't like sparkles!:laugh:

MERCONLY
01-15-2014, 10:31 AM
As a Volume Lund Dealer Im not worried at all....Now the Tracker, Crestliner and Lowe dealers should be worried.....but then price will happen....NO WORRIES...

BroadwayBill
01-15-2014, 10:53 AM
Pretty sure Ranger hasn't spent all this time trying to build their name to lose it in the aluminum department. In case some don't know this these aren't the first aluminum deep v boats produced by Ranger unless you don't remember the Cherokee. ;)

I like the sparkly counsels.

Bill

Sprinklerfitter
01-15-2014, 10:59 AM
As a Volume Lund Dealer Im not worried at all....Now the Tracker, Crestliner and Lowe dealers should be worried.....but then price will happen....NO WORRIES...

If I was the manufacture of the brands you mentioned I'd be more concerned with the Kingfisher brand of boats moving east if they wanted too from their location out west than any tin model ranger comes up with. This new bunch of ranger tin models will probably go over as well as the last tin models did some years back. They were the latest greatest and poof they were gone. As everyone knows you can only do so much with tin regardless of how well you dress it up. And when it comes to money most people want to get the most boat they can at the cheapest price and I don't see the new tin rangers filling that void in the markets where most of them will try to be sold and I doubt if that area is the upper midwest. I hope I'm wrong and they sell like hotcakes to keep people employed and this post is my opinion only.:cheers:

Waxy
01-15-2014, 11:33 AM
It looks good, not a lot of storage, but what is with the sparkly console?

It's not the sparkles that I don't like, it's the lack of room to put any kind of a decent sonar unit on the console. That would be a real stumbling block for me.

Overall it looks OK, and the quality will likely be pretty good. I'm sure they'll sell a few of them. Time will tell.

Waxy

2sac
01-15-2014, 11:51 AM
It's not the sparkles that I don't like, it's the lack of room to put any kind of a decent sonar unit on the console. That would be a real stumbling block for me.

Overall it looks OK, and the quality will likely be pretty good. I'm sure they'll sell a few of them. Time will tell.

Waxy

That's something I don't get either. You can buy a Ranger 'glass and flush mount a 8 or 9 series HB in the dash, and the tin is limited to the size an X4

Hot Runr Guy
01-15-2014, 12:24 PM
That's something I don't get either. You can buy a Ranger 'glass and flush mount a 8 or 9 series HB in the dash, and the tin is limited to the size an X4

I've got to think that you could remove those 4 screws, pull the entire center panel out, and start with a fresh piece of Starboard to put a much larger graph in,,,,,,,,,

HRG

Waxy
01-15-2014, 01:21 PM
I've got to think that you could remove those 4 screws, pull the entire center panel out, and start with a fresh piece of Starboard to put a much larger graph in,,,,,,,,,

HRG

Regardless, you're forced to flush mount the graph on the dash where it's going to be hard to see from anywhere but the driver's seat, because there's no place to properly mount it with an adjustable Cisco or RAM mount.

Waxy

MERCONLY
01-15-2014, 01:47 PM
I remember the Crestliner/Ranger Cherokees, and I remember how succesful they were.....I know aluminum boats, im not being cocky, but Ive sold Alum for years, the Ranger Deep V looks JUST LIKE the Triton DV series from yesteryear, and that makes since....So I hope no one is thinking that the Aluminum Walleye Boat business has just seen a Game Changer......It may be a let down....Im glad Ranger did this though, it will force some to Lower pricing...

rschoening
01-15-2014, 02:17 PM
Yeah, that would be great if Lund drops their price.

2sac
01-15-2014, 02:32 PM
Yeah, that would be great if Lund drops their price.

When fishermen are willingly paying upwards of 50k-80k for boats, I don't see anyone dropping their pricing. They'll keep pricing competitive with the competition. I bet that Ranger optioned out will go close to $30k

COOLERKING
01-17-2014, 04:04 PM
Every dealer from Cinn to Cleveland has no information
on this boat as far as Price, Availability, or Site! The boat
does exist, but still in a " preliminary stage"?? Whats up
with that?? Would love to see one....????

Jack

NEBRASKA JOHN
01-17-2014, 04:13 PM
Every dealer from Cinn to Cleveland has no information
on this boat as far as Price, Availability, or Site! The boat
does exist, but still in a " preliminary stage"?? Whats up
with that?? Would love to see one....????

Jack
Ya gotta remember, they only build them 1 at a time.

MN-eyeguy
01-17-2014, 04:30 PM
Ya gotta remember, they only build them 1 at a time.Somehow I don't believe that old Ranger saying applies anymore. They'll make aluminum boats in the same manner as all other manufacturers. I guess if it makes the potential buyer feel special then ......

Hot Runr Guy
01-25-2014, 01:13 AM

HRG

Here's one with a larger dash mount.

HRG

Jason G3
01-25-2014, 05:13 AM
Here is the first informative video of the boat I could find:

http://walleye.outdoorsfirst.com/videos/01.16.2014/6654/Rangers.NEW.VS.Deep.V.Aluminum/

Also, found a dealer with one in stock that actually listed the sale price: http://www.frankiesboats.com/inventory_print_item/index/pid/1381/i/new-2014-ranger-boats-vs-1780-wt-d820d6900d7f1cfbbf869640dbb84ce2

$25K (sale) with a 115 Merc. The price point seems to be good and geared more a basic entry level boat. It will definitely sell. I'm sure that price will climb around 30K once you add tax, prep and freight as well as a 150 on back.

kliph
01-25-2014, 06:10 PM
http://walleye.outdoorsfirst.com/videos/01.16.2014/6654/Rangers.NEW.VS.Deep.V.Aluminum/

Also, found a dealer with one in stock that actually listed the sale price: http://www.frankiesboats.com/inventory_print_item/index/pid/1381/i/new-2014-ranger-boats-vs-1780-wt-d820d6900d7f1cfbbf869640dbb84ce2

A few comments: It's 17' 8" not 18' 8" like the Specifications have it from Frankies.
No other info like: dead rise and draft and depth.
I'm sure someone has it.

I like the no wood part and any outboard you want.

Also it's welded and a bunk trailer. Any guess why?
Maybe they will come out with other, longer/bigger, models in a few years.

DXO
01-25-2014, 07:02 PM
I like the no wood part and any outboard you want.

Also it's welded and a bunk trailer. Any guess why?
[/B]

By design, a riveted hull must flex or break. Wood floors allow flex with riveted hulls. Are there any riveted hulls with aluminum floors?

A welded hull is designed for minimum flex, and the all-aluminum welded floor is an integral part of the design.

Today, I brought home my custom-built aluminum boat. It is a tank, built by commercial fishermen.

It will not break, flex or rot. It rides on a custom-made bunk trailer, just as a commercial boat.

glraasch
01-26-2014, 08:21 AM
Back in the 90' Ranger had aluminum boats, at that time Crestliner, Lund, Lowe, and Ranger were all part of the Genmar Group, and Crestliner made the boats for Ranger. I worked for Lowe Boats and we made all of the aluminum bass boats for Crestliner and Lund.

I owned a Ranger Cherokee Deep V in the mid 90's, but it was made in Little Falls, MN.

Genmar sold the aluminum boat group to Brunswick, and I see Ranger is offering aluminum bass boats again, so someone in the Genmar group is probably making them.

It used to be that you could look at the Coast Guard tag in the boat and it listed where it was made, such as Crestliner, Lebanon, Missouri which was Lowe Boats. But now I believe they will probably show Flippin, Arkansas.

They changed the rules, so you cannot tell who is making he boats.