: Salting my roof down, good idea or not?

Headwaters
02-04-2004, 06:50 PM
I wanted to spread a bunch of salt around on my roof to help protect the shingles and keep the snow down some. Mainly protect the shingles from ice damage. Good idea or not? would salt harm or eat at anything??

perchjerker
02-04-2004, 06:56 PM
Use calcium chloride or a non salt melter. Salt is not a good thing for you house and will kill all your landscaping as well.

A snow rake is also good to prevent the buildup in the first place.

cnags
02-04-2004, 07:01 PM
NO,NO,SALT!!!! It will eat right through your shingles. Go out and buy some calcilum chloride it will do the best. I work for a Union Roofing Co.

CI_Guy
02-04-2004, 07:05 PM
Calcium chloride can kill your landscape plants and grass too.
Pat K

Kolby
02-04-2004, 07:44 PM
Adequate ventilation through soffit/gable vents and roof vents will keep temperatures consistent in your attic and outside. Insulation which is at least 10 inches thick (I think R-38) will prevent excessive heat rising into the attic causing melting/refreazing to occur, which are basically the dynamics of ice dams.

Headwaters
02-04-2004, 08:31 PM
Wow, I am sure glad I asked before I did this one! Thanks.

FisHn2DMax
02-05-2004, 08:39 AM
I'm sure glad you did too. You would have had done permanent damage to your asphalt singles. It would dry out the oils in the shingle and create white streaks. BAd Idea to use salt on a roof!!!

Fuzzy
02-05-2004, 09:04 AM
Oh - I thought this was another recipe post - a little salt, lemon pepper and butter sauce - make those shingles very tasty

shadowman
02-05-2004, 10:23 AM
headwaters theres a product ( ice melter ) called Pritts i buy it in 50 bags at 8.99 a bag its not salt and will not hurt grass or or flowers or pets or roofs, at least thats the claim on the bag, i use this stuff at home and at my bussiness and love it, the stuff works great and as fast as i ever seen anything work and faster than most, PRITTS Ice Melter.