: Sat May 1 WBSFA club "meeting" Catawba Island State Park / Port Clinton

FreeByrd
04-20-2004, 07:30 AM
We had talked about having our summer "meetings" on weekends close to where the fish are biting so we can take advantage of a lot of us being out on the lake. We are going to give it a shot and see how it works - Sat May 1 at 6PM at the Catawba Island State Park. This will be an informal get together. I'm fairly certain there are charcoal grills available to use at the park if anyone wants to grill some burgers / dogs. Any volunteers for this?

I will be busy helping out South Shore Marine with their Sea Trial Event (from 9-5 at the Catawba Island Club - contact me if you are interested in a Sea Trial of the Contenders) and also trying to get in some prefishing for the Gander Mountain GNWC tournament that goes out of Catawba Ramp on Sun May 2. Gary Bowman will have the Gander GNWC tournament trailer at the State Park during this time doing registrations. I know several club members willl be fishing this tournament. He will spend a few minutes speaking to the club about the Gander Moluntain GNWC.

Also anyone that is up there with their boat and it is convenient to trailer it over to the state park please bring it - we'd like to do a little "boat show" of our own to give club members the opportunity to see how different people set up their boats and check out the electronics, rodholders, storage, etc. It would also be nice to get to recognize club members boats for when we see each other on the water.

The Walmart RCL Walleye Tour final is also Sat May 1 and the final weighin will be around 3:30 - 4PM at the Walmart on Route 53. There are several club members fishing this tournament which starts Wed April 28th. Everyone fishes Wed and Thurs and then only the top 20 Pro's and Co Anglers make the Semifinals on Friday. The top ten advance to Saturdays finals - let's hope we can get a club member or two into the semis and finals.

I talked to Marc early this morning - the wind is still blowing in Winnconne but he has been able to catch some fish while practicing for the PWT that starts tomorrow. I've also made arrangements to do a club event some time at the Huron Boat Basin once the fish move that way. We may even do another informal deal towards the end of the month there or just target June for that.

We can continue the meeting at a local tavern for anyone interested in having a few chilly ones afterwards. The Point (over by Miller Ferry Dock) is a big place to accomodate a lot of people. Decent bar & grill food. Also the Catawba Inn - small place next door to The Point. Another Big place would be Nick's Roadhouse - doesn't get too crazy till later on in the evening and they have several pool tables. Z's Tin Goose on the main drag in Port Clinton, and Bells Mells Pizza joint would also be decent choices along with the Mr Ed's on Lake Shore Drive on the west side of the Portage River

Steve Carlson
steve199132@yahoo.com

FreeByrd
04-20-2004, 07:30 AM
We had talked about having our summer "meetings" on weekends close to where the fish are biting so we can take advantage of a lot of us being out on the lake. We are going to give it a shot and see how it works - Sat May 1 at 6PM at the Catawba Island State Park. This will be an informal get together. I'm fairly certain there are charcoal grills available to use at the park if anyone wants to grill some burgers / dogs. Any volunteers for this?

I will be busy helping out South Shore Marine with their Sea Trial Event (from 9-5 at the Catawba Island Club - contact me if you are interested in a Sea Trial of the Contenders) and also trying to get in some prefishing for the Gander Mountain GNWC tournament that goes out of Catawba Ramp on Sun May 2. Gary Bowman will have the Gander GNWC tournament trailer at the State Park during this time doing registrations. I know several club members willl be fishing this tournament. He will spend a few minutes speaking to the club about the Gander Moluntain GNWC.

Also anyone that is up there with their boat and it is convenient to trailer it over to the state park please bring it - we'd like to do a little "boat show" of our own to give club members the opportunity to see how different people set up their boats and check out the electronics, rodholders, storage, etc. It would also be nice to get to recognize club members boats for when we see each other on the water.

The Walmart RCL Walleye Tour final is also Sat May 1 and the final weighin will be around 3:30 - 4PM at the Walmart on Route 53. There are several club members fishing this tournament which starts Wed April 28th. Everyone fishes Wed and Thurs and then only the top 20 Pro's and Co Anglers make the Semifinals on Friday. The top ten advance to Saturdays finals - let's hope we can get a club member or two into the semis and finals.

I talked to Marc early this morning - the wind is still blowing in Winnconne but he has been able to catch some fish while practicing for the PWT that starts tomorrow. I've also made arrangements to do a club event some time at the Huron Boat Basin once the fish move that way. We may even do another informal deal towards the end of the month there or just target June for that.

We can continue the meeting at a local tavern for anyone interested in having a few chilly ones afterwards. The Point (over by Miller Ferry Dock) is a big place to accomodate a lot of people. Decent bar & grill food. Also the Catawba Inn - small place next door to The Point. Another Big place would be Nick's Roadhouse - doesn't get too crazy till later on in the evening and they have several pool tables. Z's Tin Goose on the main drag in Port Clinton, and Bells Mells Pizza joint would also be decent choices along with the Mr Ed's on Lake Shore Drive on the west side of the Portage River

Steve Carlson
steve199132@yahoo.com

Trophy
04-20-2004, 07:48 AM
Steve:

This may sound stupid but are the ramps closed down to the public during the rcl event? I was wanting to fish May 1st, and usually launch at Catawba.

Trophy
04-20-2004, 07:48 AM
Steve:

This may sound stupid but are the ramps closed down to the public during the rcl event? I was wanting to fish May 1st, and usually launch at Catawba.

FreeByrd
04-20-2004, 07:56 AM
Kevin,
I don't think so, but don't honestly know. It would only be an issue during the Wed and Thurs with 160-170 boats getting ready to launch. On Friday Semifinals there are only 20 RCL boats and on Sat finals only 10 RCL boats and maybe a camera boat. That is one reason they do the big tournaments like the RCL and PWT during the week to minimize clogging up a public ramp on the weekends.
Steve

Fish_on
04-20-2004, 08:17 AM
No, I have never known a boat ramp to be closed to the public during a tournament. We have a policy on the GNWC that we put non-tournament boats to the front of the line so they don't have to wait to launch.

Fish_on
04-20-2004, 08:23 AM
I carry a small portable gas grill with me so a couple people are welcome to put something on my grill. This should be fun I'm looking forward to it! The Spring issue of Walleye Wisdom magazine just rolled off the press so I'll bring a few complimentary copies to hand out.

FreeByrd
04-20-2004, 09:00 AM
Thanks Bernie - I talked to Bo about the trailer and saying a few words to the club members yesterday. I forgot that you would be there too so we will look forward to seeing both of you.
Steve Carlson