: Do you keep your minnows?

Chots
08-21-2004, 06:29 PM
Ive been keeping my minnows that I dont use and finding out its a lot of work changing water and all that to keep the tank clean thinking of just tossing them in the yard next time. Do you keep and re-use your bait?

sevenmmm
08-21-2004, 09:38 PM
Nope, never was much good at keeping minnows alive, so I always dumped the left overs out on the ground.

But come to think of it, those mud minnows kept pretty well in the winter.:-)

Terroreyes
08-21-2004, 10:59 PM
I keep an old 29 gallon aquarium in the garage during the spring with a cheap $10 filter on it. Keeps the left over minnows easily till the next trip. At $3/dozen for shiners, it paid for itself in the first few weeks. In the summer..... forget it. Too warm.
[br][div align="center"][br][center][br][font color="#3300CC";font face="Roman"; size="+2"][b][br][br]Terror - [font color="red";font face="Webdings"; size="+3"]NN

Lazy Ike
08-22-2004, 06:40 AM
Maybe you can pipe over to a beverage fridge to chill the water. Mine has a grid for the in the door water, like a heater core, to chill it. Won't my wife like that idea. Could be a new item in your next Cabela's catalog.

jcass
08-22-2004, 07:52 PM
I've been using minnows a lot for crappie lately and I keep them in one of the minnow buckets that have a trap door with holes in it. I just put the end of my garden hose (we have well water - no clorine) under the handle and let the water trickle down over the door. I can hear the fresh water dripping into the container and it keep the minnows just fine. Uses very little water.

j9f
08-23-2004, 05:40 AM
I keep mine right at my dock if there are enough left over. It works as long as you do not trailer.

DaneVike
08-23-2004, 06:59 AM
We have an old refrigerator in the garage that we keep them in. This has been the best way that I have found. Change the water every day or two and you can keep them for weeks.

zpeters73
08-23-2004, 12:42 PM
The place I buy minnows gives me enough to fish with for 2 or 3 trips to the lake (for about $1.25, I literally end up with about four dozen minnows when they dump that scoop in the bucket), so I generally will keep them around for a week or so during the cold months - especially ice fishing. It's nice to skip the bait shop if you know exactly where you're going and you already have the bait. Then again, for $1.25, a guy really can't be faulted for tossing out the minnows after every trip and getting fresh ones each time.

zpeters73
08-23-2004, 12:42 PM
The place I buy minnows gives me enough to fish with for 2 or 3 trips to the lake (for about $1.25, I literally end up with about four dozen minnows when they dump that scoop in the bucket), so I generally will keep them around for a week or so during the cold months - especially ice fishing. It's nice to skip the bait shop if you know exactly where you're going and you already have the bait. Then again, for $1.25, a guy really can't be faulted for tossing out the minnows after every trip and getting fresh ones each time.

MoWalleyeguy
08-23-2004, 12:53 PM
Ive kept Minnows as long as 3 weeks just by using a small aquarium pump with a air stone. I also feed them once every 2 days using tropical fish food. Its simple and saves money in the long run. During really hot weather they won't last near as long but the air stone will still help.

MoWalleyeguy
08-23-2004, 12:53 PM
Ive kept Minnows as long as 3 weeks just by using a small aquarium pump with a air stone. I also feed them once every 2 days using tropical fish food. Its simple and saves money in the long run. During really hot weather they won't last near as long but the air stone will still help.

marbli
08-23-2004, 01:26 PM
depending how long you want to keep them, cheap large styro foam coolers will keep minnows for quite some time in any weather. Fill cooler with good water, drop you minow buck in cooler and put the lid on. Keeps them happy for 3 days easy. Some cooler will seep water so need to be in a place that this is not an issue. No changing water, no expense, don't know how much longer you need to keep them but this works great for camping week ends.

marbli
08-23-2004, 01:26 PM
depending how long you want to keep them, cheap large styro foam coolers will keep minnows for quite some time in any weather. Fill cooler with good water, drop you minow buck in cooler and put the lid on. Keeps them happy for 3 days easy. Some cooler will seep water so need to be in a place that this is not an issue. No changing water, no expense, don't know how much longer you need to keep them but this works great for camping week ends.

MarkG
08-23-2004, 09:40 PM
A buddy of mine just keeps a 33 gallon garbage can filled with water and uses a cheap aquarium aerator to blow bubbles into it.Seems to be able to keep them in pretty large numbers for as long as he needs,using his well water. When I am camping and fishing, I transfer my leftovers into a 5 gallon paint bucket. Keeps them fine for the next day as long as not overcrowded. I usually will only have to change out the water once,just before bedtime so they last til morning,unless an animal of somesort gets to them. I do not put the cover on,so there is at least some oxygen. I dont know for sure if the water supply from my campground has chlorine or any other treatment or not,but they seem to like it. Not sure how heavily treated tap water would effect them.

Pitts
08-24-2004, 06:56 AM
Minnows are a tough keep in the heat of summer. Even with the areators going at max timing and a large livewell full of fresh water it is tough to keep them overnight.
Cold weather is fairly simple use non chlorinated water and an air pump and a stone.
Hot weather an old fridge with the airpump and stone is about the best.
I use a seven gallon plastic bucket with a snap on lid to keep from spilling in the winter for ice fishing which works very well.

Pitts

Kevin B
08-24-2004, 09:12 PM
I salt and freeze them. For jigging they work fine.