: Alumacraft boats?

wondering
09-07-2004, 02:45 PM
Does anyone out there own an Alumacraft? Are they decent boats?

PTC
09-07-2004, 03:05 PM
I don't own one myself (I have a Crestliner) but as far as I am concerned they are as good as any aluminum boat out there.

Box
09-07-2004, 03:14 PM
Yes, they are good boats. I have one, and it is our third. In MN it is one of the "big three".

Do a search for "alumacraft" and you will find many opinions and much good info on them. You will also find some constructive criticism, as you do for other brands. I would get another Alumacraft, but I also like Lund and Crestliner, and would consider other brands as well. But I would give alumacraft a bonus if I was buying as we have had good luck with them.

-Box

http://www.walleyecentral.com/photopost/showgallery.php?cat=500&ppuser=103808

wondering
09-07-2004, 03:33 PM
Box,

Thanks for the info. Do you have a rough idea of how much a new Trophy 200 would cost?

Thanks in advance.

wondering
09-07-2004, 03:35 PM
This may be a stupid question...Is Alumacraft owned by a bigger holding company (like Genmar, Brunswick, etc)?

Thanks

Dodge1
09-07-2004, 03:37 PM
>This may be a stupid question...Is Alumacraft owned by a
>bigger holding company (like Genmar, Brunswick, etc)?
>
>Thanks

Nope, there one of the few remaining solo boat companies around.

Skis
09-07-2004, 03:50 PM
I'm on my second Alumacraft. My next boat (if I ever get rid of my current boat) will more than likely be another Alumacraft.

Schnauzer
09-07-2004, 03:52 PM
Just adding to that comment... they build their boats out of two locations, one here in Minnesota (St. Peter) and one down south. MN produces the deep V rigs while the southern plant produces the bass/crappie/jon boat type hulls.

I have always considered them among the "Big 3" in aluminum quality and know several people who are quite satisfied with their Alumacrafts.

I have been a Lund guy myself but may look at Alumacraft next time if it is a hassel to get a Yamaha on Lunds after the Lund ownership change.

wondering
09-07-2004, 03:53 PM
Skis,

What model(s) have you owned? How has the re-sale been?

Thanks

PaulFournier
09-07-2004, 04:10 PM
I'm on my second boat in 2 1/2 years. My first was the 185 Tournament Pro with a 90HP Suzuki tiller. Awesome boat that put in a lot of hours the last 2+ years from Mille Lacs to Leech Lake, the Mississippi River, Illinois River, and Bays de Noc.

Just last week, I picked up my new 185 Tournament Pro CS from the gang at Dan's Southside Marine in Bloomington, MN. The boat is loaded with a 200HP Suzuki, 9.9 Suzuki kicker with Panther lift, Wave Wackers, dual Lowrance X-15's and many other extras. These boats have worked very well for me and I look forward to the next couple of years using this new one.

These boats ride very safely on the larger waters and are extremely comfortable to fish out of.

If you have questions about any of the Alumacraft boats, options and/or rigging, I suggest you contact the gang at Dan's Southside Marine to get started in the right direction.

Good luck,

Paul Fournier

JIMJOHN
09-07-2004, 04:16 PM
Have a TS 175. Love the boat now. Had to send it to the factory for some issues. More problems with the dealer than anything else. Will not have anything to do with that dealer anymore, so that issue is over for me. Love the boat more each time out and I am out a lot. Would buy another in a hart beat, but with a different dealer.

Good luck, JIMJOHN

cost
09-07-2004, 04:19 PM
Paul,

That sounds like a nice rig...I was wondering what the cost of a rig like that would be? (I'm not asking how much you persoanlly paid, just a rough idea of the average retail cost).

Thanks

Koldfront Kraig
09-07-2004, 04:23 PM
I had a TP 175 tiller for 5 years prior to buying my new rig that is not an Alumacraft. Very solid boat. Practical layout and great standard features.

When it's time for a new boat, I will give Alumacraft a serious look again.

Das Boot 3
09-07-2004, 05:08 PM
Here is a example for price for a full rig.
2004 Demo boat Alumacraft tournment sport 185 with suntop and snap cover, 2004 Johnson 200 4stroke with sst prop,Shorelandr roller trailer with brakes,swingtongue,guide ons,spare tire and bracket. Option list: T-8 yamaha kicker tiller motor with electric start and powertrim.Wavewackers,on-board charger,Vexilar edge on dash with lowrance 330c color gps,vexilar fl-18 by kicker with a lowrance lms480 gps next to it,bow has a 74lbs autopilot with cordless co-pilot. Vexilar fl-8se flasher on trollingmotor with a lowrance lms-480gps next to it on bow. Vhf radio with 8'whip full warranty. $31,500.
I found it on a local dealers website.
DB3

Skis
09-07-2004, 05:10 PM
My first boat was a 1998 Lunker 16' Tiller with a 40 horse Merc. Sold it after 3 years for $1,600 less than I paid for it (if I remember?).

My current boat is a 2001 Magnum 175 CS with a 125 horse Merc.

bladerunner
09-07-2004, 06:03 PM
Mine is an older Trophy 175 w/a 75hp Merc. I'm sure when it was new it was comparable to the Starcraft deep V. Hull & motor are still in great shape & when handled properly, it can take some of the Lake Erie rollers easily. I would prefer it to be a little wider though.

UP_walleye_5
09-07-2004, 07:49 PM
I own a "99" trophy 185 with a 125 merc. Very nice boat soft ride and
plenty of room (wish it was alittle wider like the new ones). fish mostly the U.P. of Mich. lake michigan/baydenoc. Would buy again and
recommend them. Also max out horse power wish i would have.

curious
09-07-2004, 09:22 PM
I wonder why you don't see more of them in the PWT? Do they have a pro staff?

troutaholic
09-08-2004, 07:47 AM
My current boat, which is my first boat, is a 1984 Alumacraft Deluxe which I bought in 1985. I have never had problems with the boat whatsoever.....from Rainy Lake to Lake Michigan and countless Minn/Wisc lakes in between. Canadian trips also include L.O.W., Red Lake and Dryberry Lake...again, it held its own on all of them

I use it for duck hunting, and fishing throughout the year here in Minnesota. I've dropped it off onto the ice and pushed it into the open water. Talk about popping it out of the open water onto the ice - now thats fun!!

Alumacraft is a quality boat with a solid CEO at the helm. Several years ago, when a Tornado ripped through the Alumacraft Finished Goods, the insurance company wanted the company to hold a scratch and dent sale. The CEO said no and brought in a chipper company. The chipper company wanted to truck the bent boats up to their facility. Again, the CEO said no because he did not want one "bad boat" escaping the chipper as I am sure several would have. All the boats were destroyed on-site and under the watchful eyes of Alumacraft officials. Of course, there several canoes that were wrapped around a couple trees that I do not think they got to - at least the last time I saw, the boats were still up there in the trees!

Alumacraft took a hit in the pocketbook for all of this, but they raised themselves in stature in my opinion.

Just Rip Lips and Keep a Tight Line

JIMJOHN
09-08-2004, 07:57 AM
I think there is 2 PWT sponsored pros using Alumacraft. Cost a bunch to do that and if you compare prices to LUND as I did before I bought, you will see a price difference and maybe as good or better boat in Alumacraft.

JIMJOHN

sambo
09-08-2004, 08:38 AM
I believe that is the main reason why Alumacraft boats are a touch less expensive then Lunds. They don't sponsor the whole world, and you rarely (if ever) see ads in mags or tv.

They are slowly building their reputation by word of mouth.

JMW
09-08-2004, 08:50 AM
I have a 2004 Tournament Sport 175 which is an excellant boat. I have put a lot of hours on it fishing and it has met all of my expectations. The fit and finish is very nice. Very good rod storage and easy to fish out of. I plan on keeping it along time. I purchased mine at Marine Pros in White Water Wi.. If you are from the area I would give Frank at Marine Pros a call. I did price out the boat at two other Alumacraft dealers. They did a real nice job of rigging my boat. There service has been good.

well
09-08-2004, 11:18 AM
I think you're a little misinformed about the costs of sponsoring a pro...Most boat comapny's make a higher profit from their pro staff sales than they do through dealer sales...It's actually a business model in and of itself and a major part of their revenue...Boat comapnies that "sponsor the world" make a ton of money at it. Most pros pay dealer cost or more...with the exception of 1 or 2 guys on each boat company's pro staff.

mr_pcb
09-08-2004, 05:00 PM
I bought a Alumacraft Lunker 165 a few years ago. It was quite a step up from my last 2 boats. One was a Mirrocraft 14' and the other a Smokercraft 14'. I've been happier than a hog in slop with this Alumacraft. Most likely do another Alumacraft next time.