: looking for grill seasoning/rub for walleye

cjb
06-27-2005, 11:22 AM
Does anyone have a favorite rub or seasoning mix they use to grill/pan fry walleye or perch? I have one of those cast iron grill/griddles that is flat on one side and has raised ribs on the other. I made a tasty batch of walleye on the "grill" side of it for dinner yesturday by seasoning the fish and spraying a light coat of olive oil, then fonnished it off by brushing on some garlic butter and a sprinkle of fresh lemmon. It was great, but a little bland on the seasoning (just season salt and peper). does anyone have a secret spice blend, or store bought mix that they like?

Eyez
06-27-2005, 11:36 AM
I guess I cook walleye one of two ways. Either fried in butter and pepper, or breaded in shore lunch breading. Both are excellent.

Dusty

perchjerker
06-27-2005, 11:48 AM
Do what you are doing but add some Old Bay seasoning, some fresh basil and fresh garlic, and maybe some cumin or cayenne if you like it hot. Dont overdo it on the seasoning or you wont taste the fish.

perchjerker
06-27-2005, 11:48 AM
Do what you are doing but add some Old Bay seasoning, some fresh basil and fresh garlic, and maybe some cumin or cayenne if you like it hot. Dont overdo it on the seasoning or you wont taste the fish.

Boatnut
06-27-2005, 11:52 AM
Walleye has such a delicate flavor, I dont like to over power it with too much spice. Usually a little lemon pepper. Here is a link to some spices I've used by "penzey's spices". excellent products. First one is their "florida seasoned pepper" which is really good on walleye. http://www.penzeys.com/cgi-bin/penzeys/p-penzeysfloridaseason.html
They also have a good "jerk" seasoning that i've tried on walleye as well. http://www.penzeys.com/cgi-bin/penzeys/p-penzeysjerkchickfish.html.
I usually prefer to grill my fish using Reynolds non -stick foil and a VERY hot grill.

bon appetit!

Boatnut
06-27-2005, 11:52 AM
Walleye has such a delicate flavor, I dont like to over power it with too much spice. Usually a little lemon pepper. Here is a link to some spices I've used by "penzey's spices". excellent products. First one is their "florida seasoned pepper" which is really good on walleye. http://www.penzeys.com/cgi-bin/penzeys/p-penzeysfloridaseason.html
They also have a good "jerk" seasoning that i've tried on walleye as well. http://www.penzeys.com/cgi-bin/penzeys/p-penzeysjerkchickfish.html.
I usually prefer to grill my fish using Reynolds non -stick foil and a VERY hot grill.

bon appetit!

GMC Jon
06-27-2005, 03:07 PM
I grill them after marinating them in Zesty Italian dressing. Just put the fish and dressing in a ziplock bag for a couple of hours prior to cooking. Use one of those cooking surfaces for fish on top of the grill so they don't fall thru and use some no-stick spray on the surface.

Boneless chicken breasts are also good grilled after marinating in the dressing.

5Alive
06-27-2005, 06:38 PM
Rub or brush the filets with butter, then sprinkle on as much "Paul Predommes Blackened Redfish" seasoning. Ooohhh, it's so good!

EyEDream2
06-27-2005, 07:25 PM
If you're looking for a good fry seasoning try "Louisiana Fish Fry." You can't go wrong with the taste and it doesn't overpower the fish. http://www.louisianafishfry.com/

Gilligan
06-27-2005, 07:55 PM
Emeril's Bayou Blast...BAM!

Find it in your local grocery store or go to the food network and do a search, you can get the recipe there and its alot cheaper.

sandmanmike1
06-27-2005, 08:32 PM
I use the chef paul prudhommes MAGIC seasoning salt New Orleans blend on everything. It is in a green container with a guy that looks like Dom DeLoise on the front. I use it on fish, burgers, steak, chicken, fries and hot dogs. It is really changes the flavor of the hot-dog. He makes a bar-be-cue seasoning that is good also. Let me know how you like it.

Tracy
06-27-2005, 08:49 PM
I'll second 5Alive's reccomendation on the blackened redfish magic only I use Olive Oil and then sprinkle the the fillets until evenly covered. They won't stick to the grill and they don't fall apart, but I always roll them over instead of trying to turn them over. The backstraps off of 5# and larger fish are awesome fixed this way. Be carefull not to overcook.

Tracy

Birddog
06-27-2005, 08:51 PM
I like Tony Chacheres (sp?) Creole seasoning. Has a nice little kick.

BIRDDOG

Top seekert repcipee
06-27-2005, 10:38 PM
Shhh, don't tell anyone this.......

Use olive oil in the pan, not real hot either, you aren't blackening these fillets o Walleye.

Rub-
three parts Emeril's Southwest seasoning
one part garlic POWDER
one part onyon powder
one part sea salt (seasoned salt Optional instead)
one part black pepper

rub the fillets on both sides if you are smart and take the skin off
then let them set for about an hour in the fridge, lay them on waxed paper and do not set them one atop the other!

Fry the fillets in the olive oil, just enough to keep the pan coated and not stick the fillets

You teflon pan types, you can also use olive oil, or some silly spray but the fillets taste the best with olive oil

dont kerrect my spilling, I am jest being a smert ask

Hawg Tracker
06-27-2005, 10:38 PM
The very best Walleye coating is made by "Shore Lunch"....it is absolutely outstanding.it's available at most big food stores and even some bait shops carry it. Here's how you make the fish....
(1)...Wash the filets in cold water
(2) Pat dry with paper towel.
(3) Dump filets in a bowl with the dry mix
(4) When all the fish are coated with the dry mix, blend the remaining mixture with your favorite Beer until it becomes like pancake batter
(5) Dip the filets in the batter until they are fully coated.
(6) Invite me to dinner....
Make sure you get the "Original" the spicy is too spicy and ruins the delecate flavor of the fish.

BIGGRAY
06-28-2005, 09:02 AM
What hawg tracker said I agree with. The shore lunch is great. What I do to cool it down a little is mix the cajun with the original. My wife doesn't like it real spicey. I don't think it is that hot but she does. It's the best.

cjb
06-29-2005, 11:28 AM
thanks everyone.

I am looking for tasty alternatives to the baked or fried breaded standard than many do with Walleye and Perch. It isn't that they aren't good eating in their on rights, I just want to branch out a little from the norm. I will try the old bay and/or Emeril seasonings next since I have them in the cupboard, but will work down the list till I find one or two options that really pop.

My favorite breading mix is 1/2 bread crumbs, 1/2 schredded hard italian cheese (parmisian, asiago...). Seasoned to taste with Salt, Garlic powder, Parsley flakes, fresh ground pepper, and a dash or two of red pepper. Do the egg dip then coat routine, then Pan fry in olive oil and butter, or spray a mist of olive oil to coat and bake in a hot oven.

perchjerker
06-29-2005, 11:31 AM
Tonys is a staple in my kitchen.

Use it in all kinds of dishes. Great on a bowl of plain, white rice.

NateW
06-29-2005, 12:41 PM
I have to second the post that recommended lemon pepper. I recently sauted some fish in olive oil and lemon pepper and it was fantastic. I'm thinking about doing this in our camp this year just for a little change. I believe Schilling also makes a very good garlic & rosemary mix that would also be excellent. I use it on grilled chicken and it's great.

Just remember that sauted fish is done pretty quick. Be careful or it will dry out on you. Glad I ate before reading this post--I'd be salivating on my keyboard....Good luck!

Birddog
06-29-2005, 05:25 PM
"Tonys is a staple in my kitchen." Yep...right next to the salt and pepper!

:cheers:

BIRDDOG

Birddog
06-29-2005, 05:25 PM
"Tonys is a staple in my kitchen." Yep...right next to the salt and pepper!

:cheers:

BIRDDOG

Jakeye
06-29-2005, 07:36 PM
Crushed Saltine crakers and a egg wash with a touch of Tabasco in the egg wash. If you have one run the satline crakers through a food processor to make them real powdery.

tly
06-29-2005, 08:24 PM
Yet another good solution.
This kind of competes with the shore lunch crowd but is infintely less expensive and adaptable to own tastes.

Base of yellow corn meal (1 pkg- they generally come in x oz like
oatmeal)
to taste:
black pepper (coarse)
white pepper
cayenne pepper (for cajun)
1/2 cup corn starch
parsley flakes for effect
dash of garlic powder (not too much, these are delicate fish despite
the various pepper ingredients)

This makes a batch good for several meals. Use it just as shore lunch or similar. Wet dish, dredge in covering and fry in oil of choice.

It may take a couple tries to get the mix you are happy with but well worth it. Original recipe came from Sliz' on Long Lake (Sarona WI) many years ago and has not failed us on many trips we have had.

Even finnicky kids have converted!!

TLY