: dogs tail

TravisC
07-04-2005, 08:50 PM
my labs tail just went limp. he seems normal but his rear end seems a little soor when he sits down. he was in the water all weekend but hes always in the water. anyone else seen this.

vetspet.ind
07-04-2005, 09:06 PM
is the tail curled under his belly?....does it hurt if you lift the tail?....does it just hang as if no connection?....those would be my most important questions...also...what is his/her age?...steve...is he neutered?...

TravisC
07-04-2005, 09:11 PM
hes a year and a half, not fixed the tail does not go under his belly he can lift it a little but he doesent wag it anymore. when you try to touch it he doesent like it to much. he doesent like to sit anymore either. he was fine yesterday just noticed when we came home.

dewyg
07-04-2005, 09:13 PM
My lab has fractured her tail twice and you are describing the exact symptoms. Try Aspirin 1-2 tabs, I only usually have to give her this a couple of times. It will usually heal within 3-4 days.

rockpt
07-04-2005, 10:10 PM
My Australian Cattle Dog broke/severely bruised her tail twice. The first time she jumped up about five feet and landed on her tail. I could see the kink near the base of her tail. The second time my other dog, a German Shorthair Pointer, bit the ACD's tail and wouldn't let go. It took her a month before she could sit. Both times she couldn't wag it and it just kind of hung there like a limp dick until it healed. Nonetheless, it healed both times on its own and it works good now.

yellowdogs3
07-04-2005, 10:30 PM
Occasionally this has happened to my labs. I have been told it is called "cold tail" and is caused from overexersion. It seems to clear up in a day or two. Do a Google search for "cold tail" and you'll find several articles on it.

doubleheader
07-05-2005, 06:57 AM
Seems like every year my lab strains her tail after her first full day of swimming. The next day it's kind of curled down and usually for a couple days she only manages a very minimum tail wag. I used to worry about it, but she's 8 now and I've come to expect this every year.

vetspet.ind
07-05-2005, 07:10 AM
i doubt it is fractured as it would generally just hang there and be very painful...and other signs that i just dont think you are describing.....anal glands can be really tender and painful and are located on either side of the anus...my best buds lab...12 yrs old...just had pus and blood coming out of his anal sacs friday....much the same symptoms as you describe but this is only one of several things which may be occuring....i use the term "jammed" tail when a lab jumps out of the boat to make a retrieve and everything but the tail clears the gunwale of the boat...if you can picture this happening, all the weight is on that tail and this really hurts...these dogs need an injection of cortisone if that is what happened...the example of jumping out of the boat is only one way this type injury may occur...jumping over a log on a trail walking thru the woods could do the same thing....when you lift the tail , it really hurts...i would not use aspirin as too many side effects...have a dog trying to die as we speak, because a bunco game friend recommended alleve to a lady's dog and one tablet can literally kill a 40 lb dog...she had no idea it could be toxic to her dog...which is in kidney failure right after one tablet was given...tylenol and advil are also not safe for dogs...aspirin is relatively safer, but i'd consult your vet and recommend a cox-2 type pain med as the relative toxicity is much lower (altho all pain meds have the potential to cause liver/kidney problems)....your vet may want to give your pet a rectal exam to palpate the anal glands better, the prostate and just the rectum...i'm guessing this to be either an anal gland problem or a jammed tail....treatment would be different for each problem so getting a diagnosis is important...steve

TravisC
07-05-2005, 08:18 AM
thanks for the info guys. he seems better today not much. well see what the vet says.

Box
07-05-2005, 09:55 AM
Your dog has "rudder tail" :)

That happened to mine as well. Swimming or playing in the water with tail waggin' tha whole time. Mine wimpered when I would touch her base of tail, and i was totally nervous (first dog). Vet, looked at her, and smiled, and said she had rudder tail. Gave her some little deflamatory (?) to help ease it, and she good as new in about a week. Vet said the prob is that my dog is too happy ;)

Good luck, hope thats all it is.
-Box

http://www.walleyecentral.com/photopost/showgallery.php?cat=500&ppuser=103808

2BlackLabs
07-05-2005, 12:38 PM
>That happened to mine as well. Swimming or playing in the
>water with tail waggin' tha whole time. Mine wimpered when I
>would touch her base of tail, and i was totally nervous (first
>dog). Vet, looked at her, and smiled, and said she had rudder
>tail. Gave her some little deflamatory (?)

YUP!! Been there. Done that. Happens every time my dog is in the water for a long period of time. My vet calls it "drop tail". The water (even though the dog's coat is designed to shed water) will make the tail heavier. The dog gets a muscle strain after wagging the heavier tail a lot.

Discovered it the same way you guys all did.

When she gets it now, I feed her buffered aspirin for the pain and in a couple days it goes away. An anti-inflammatory would be a good idea too -- aspirin does some of that but not enough. DO NOT NOT NOT NOT give your dog IBU-Profen as an anti-inflammatory, however. That is POISON to a dog.

2BlackLabs
07-05-2005, 12:43 PM
Oh, by the way, we take bufferin or Ascriptin (our vet says Ascriptin is better but the ingredients on the label says they are the same) when we go on our trips to Canada or for a weekend fishing trip. We added it to our packing list after figuring out what was going on. Just a "heads-up".

Erie Drifter
07-06-2005, 06:16 PM
WE had the same thing happen to our shepard mix up north, he always kept his tail curled over his back like a chow or a mute.

One day after being down by the lake his tail was just dragging behind him, he would lay in the floor and all of a sudden let out a YELP and take off across the room like something bit him on the rump.

I tried to check it out but if I even thought about touching it he went on the offensive, I wrapped up an asprin in a slice of cheese and gave it to him but it didn't seem to help much.

A couple days later the curl was starting to come back and within a week he was back to normal.

Bill W. (BFN)