: Easiest way to move boat/trailer around

Badger Redd
04-22-2007, 04:43 PM
OK guys, I finally upgraded to a bigger boat package, but now, I'm wondering how to make it easier to hook up the boat/trailer and then push it back in the garage when done without needing hernia surgery? The trailer jack helps but pushing/pulling the 3000 lb rig isn't easy for this Grandpa. Any suggestions before my wife or the neighbors have to call 911? :banging: Thanks !!

bigfish1965
04-22-2007, 04:50 PM
Put a hitch on your front bumper if your vehicle can take it.

Reelmn
04-22-2007, 06:19 PM
Go to Menards and purchase their 2 wheeled trailer dolly for $40. It is same one Cabela's/Bass Pro sell for $150.

flemij1
04-22-2007, 06:26 PM
If you have some spare change this might be the ticket:
http://www.powermoverinc.net/htmls/pmaccarts.html

I am seriously considering this to maneuver my Reata into my side entry garage. I have a 5% slope into the garage and 2 inch clearance on both sides.

I have heard that the standard trailer dollys are OK for moving on flat grade but a bear with any slope.

REW
04-22-2007, 06:28 PM
Badger,
You don't say where you live, but if you have a snow blower, you can hook a ball on the front of your blower and easily manuever the boat around. It is remarkable how much power a blower has and how easy it is to move the rig.

Or you could go with an electric power mover - which simply plugs in and works very well indeed.

http://www.powermoverinc.net/htmls/pmaccarts.html

http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/All-Wheel-Drive-AC-Powered-Trailer-Dolly_W0QQcmdZViewItemQQcategoryZ50073QQihZ016QQit emZ260108860747QQrdZ1

http://www.powercaster.com/products.html

If you are handy, you could take a manual two wheel trailer dolly and add an electric motor with a switch to make your job easier.
You should be able to do it quite a bit less expensively than the typical $1,000 or so for a commercial unit.

Take care
REW

jimmy4218
04-22-2007, 06:40 PM
I move mine around with my ATV. I have a hitch on the back of it and it makes quick work of it.

SILVER SHAD
04-22-2007, 07:23 PM
I use the two wheel dolly .look around you can find it a lot cheaper then cabela's mine has the inflated tires I think its rated for 600#?.

SEE YOU ON THE WATER

Badger Redd
04-22-2007, 07:24 PM
I may stop at Menards or Tractor Supply and look into the dollies. I'd hate to have to fire up the snowblower during late night/early morning fishing trips to put away/get ready to go. How much easier is the hand dolly in moving the boat & trailer around?(slight incline into the garage) Thanks for the tips !!

Bono Joe
04-22-2007, 08:13 PM
I bought a trailer dolly at harbor freight and salvage on inflated tires for $29 on special that works great for moving trailers around but I have not tried it on a 3000 lb. rig. That being said a friend of mine has a back problem and can not lift any weight at all. He has an 18' Lund on a trailer that will just barely fit in his garage at an angle. A friend of his made him a hitch with a ball mount on the FRONT of his 12 hp lawn mower that enables him to move it very easily into the tight fit required. Being on the front he is able to see exactly where he is going with it and makes it very easy to do the job.

curt
04-23-2007, 07:29 AM
Just curious, i will be buying a riding mower soon (first one), will a ball of the back of this work to move the boat?

2 DOGS
04-23-2007, 09:35 AM
Possibly, I was able to move one boat that way with my John Deere, hitch will be pretty low and may take some modification. Also, depending on the weight you may have to leave the jack wheel down or you'll be doing wheelies. I solved my problem with an old CJ5 and put a hitch on the front. It gets driven about a mile a year now.

2 DOGS
04-23-2007, 09:35 AM
Possibly, I was able to move one boat that way with my John Deere, hitch will be pretty low and may take some modification. Also, depending on the weight you may have to leave the jack wheel down or you'll be doing wheelies. I solved my problem with an old CJ5 and put a hitch on the front. It gets driven about a mile a year now.

driftersifter
04-23-2007, 11:13 AM
I would have my mother in law move it.

driftersifter
04-23-2007, 11:13 AM
I would have my mother in law move it.

T Mac
04-23-2007, 12:21 PM
Whoa....COOL!

T Mac
04-23-2007, 12:21 PM
Whoa....COOL!

Tyee Guy
04-23-2007, 12:32 PM
Redd,
I bought a Power Mover 3 years ago when I upgraded and went to a much larger boat with tandem axle trailer...The best move I made...I can now handle the garaging and hook up without a coronary.....Expensive yes, but I felt my back was worth it. They are awesome!!!!!!!!
Not sure where in WI you are, but if in the Eau Claire area, would be glad to demonstrate it for you.........

Tyee Guy
04-23-2007, 12:32 PM
Redd,
I bought a Power Mover 3 years ago when I upgraded and went to a much larger boat with tandem axle trailer...The best move I made...I can now handle the garaging and hook up without a coronary.....Expensive yes, but I felt my back was worth it. They are awesome!!!!!!!!
Not sure where in WI you are, but if in the Eau Claire area, would be glad to demonstrate it for you.........

popo
04-23-2007, 01:18 PM
I use a old CJ5 also. Paid $500 for it, and have been using it 5 years.

popo
04-23-2007, 01:18 PM
I use a old CJ5 also. Paid $500 for it, and have been using it 5 years.

Burr
04-23-2007, 03:22 PM
Not to be too sarcastic, but I'd think about learning how to back up trailers better prior to spending $500 on something. Do you have a new parking lot with clean fresh lines painted on to use for practice?

The only reason I can back up well is cuz I spent some time and learned how. Nobody is 'born' with it. 2 inches on each side should be plenty.

Other than that - the slickest thing I've seen, is a good sized lawn tractor with a 3 point hitch. That way you can back up, and just lift the 3 point to hook up to the boat. But these are the kubota diesels, 4 WD ones, and are rather expensive.

perchjerker
04-23-2007, 03:34 PM
I painted some lines on the floor of my garage at strategic locations. As long as I line up the driver's side tire with them Im perfect every time backing it in with my truck

REW
04-23-2007, 04:50 PM
Both of my neighbors use a ball mounted on the back of their riding mower to move their boats.

They work well and have no issues.

One of the neighbors had to put about a 4 inch extension on his hitch to make it taller. Other than that, no issue.

Take care
REW

rspahr UL
04-23-2007, 05:55 PM
If you can back up my boat into my garage you have a new job! You can't get in the yard though.

BadgerRedd
04-23-2007, 07:42 PM
I can back the boat INTO the garage some of the way but I need to angle/swing the boat once in the garage so that it fits(yes it's that tight, about 1 inch from wall and an inch or 2 from the garage door). I bought the boat used and I'm looking for a swing tongue but this is what I have right now. I'm hoping the trailer dolly will help save me from injury or going thru the wall. Thanks for all the suggestions !! BadgerRedd