: 5 Gal. bucket rod holders

EricCO
12-05-2000, 09:40 AM
When I'm ice fishing, I normally just pile up some ice shavings to the side of the hole and lay my rod against it. Obviously this means the reel and rod are laying on the snow,ice,water which will have a negative affect in the future.

Does anyone know of any rod holders that will attach to a 5 gallon bucket or what to do about this?

Eyez
12-05-2000, 09:50 AM
There's several different styles of rod holders available that will do the trick for you. You should be able to get them at walmart, that's where I got mine. I use 2 kinds, one that sits on the ice (basically just a big bent wire, and another that hangs on a bucket. I can set a bucket between two holes, with a rod holder on each side. Works slick.

Dusty

crash
12-05-2000, 10:28 AM
I have a pair of Tite-Lok clamp-ons that I use. Just use a thin board to reinforce it and your good. Adjustable, swivel, just like having em on the boat.

AquaMan
12-05-2000, 10:31 AM
I just drilled a hole in the bucket near the top and set the rod handle in there. It keeps the tip up. However, I only set it in there to deal with tip ups, change minnows, light a smoke, etc. Otherwise the rod is always in my hand...jigging. I have lost too many fish when the bite was light and I missed the set.

If you really nead one though, most Holiday(Gander Mountain) Sports, WalMart, etc carry a variety of wire holders that will do the trick.

AquaMan~~~~~~~~~~~~~

--- "It all begins and ends at the water's edge"

REW
12-05-2000, 05:00 PM
A friend of mine gave me a design that I modified, and made many for Christmas presents.
The advantage of this design, as opposed to the typical wire holder, is that it comes apart for packing. When you throw everything in a bucket or similar - sometimes packing the rod holder is ackward.

Bottom line the design is as follows:

The rod holder is made from 1/8 inch plywood.
Cut three pieces of wood.
1- about 12 inches long by 3-4 inches high.
1- about 8 inches long by 5 inches wide.
Then this piece is cut so that the upper ;2/3 is about 2 1/2 inches wide with the bottom tapering out to the full width,.
Then cut a v in the top - to rest the pole. In the center of the bottom cut a 1/8 inch slot = 1/2 the height of the center piece ( the 12" X 3" piece ) In this center piece - cut 1/8 inch slots about 1 inch from each end -- = 1/2 the height -- both from the same side.

1 - about 6 inches long by 5 inches wide.,
Cut this one down the same as the 2nd piece and cut a v in the top and notch the bottom,.

Sand and put on a coat of waterproofing.

Basically you have a free standing rod holder - two end pieces standing vertically - with a v in the top (one end taller than the other to angle the rod) -- the bottom of each end piece having a 1/8 inch wide slot that is 1 1/2 inches long,
then you have a center piece that also has a 1/8 inch slot that is 1 1/2 inches deep that holds the two end pieces upright.

As I said in the beginnning - you can take about 20 minutes and make a rod holder for about $1 each. The advantage of these rod holders are that they can be taken apart and they lie flat in the bottom of a tackle box, or the side of a 5 gallon bucket.
Some folks drill one hole in each of the wood pieces -- about 3/16" diameter and string a piece of 1/8 inch rope through the holes,. This rope keeps all the pieces together - so that none get lost during transport.

A third advantage is that if it does happen to get kicked into a hole, it floats, as opposed to going to the bottom of the lake as happens with a wire holder.

Take care

REW

toofeweyes
12-05-2000, 06:43 PM
I just got done making one of your rod holders andit is really COOL AND SIMPLE to make.
Thanks a million.
I love this site.

ps you should patent it!!!

Brad/nd
12-05-2000, 07:50 PM
I made my own using 1/2" & 3/4" pvc tubing. The tubing is cut into 6 to 8" lengths using 90 degree (4) connections to make a rectangle shaped with 1 piece of tubing verical for the pole to slide onto. The poles fit snugly into the holder and acts as a single unit or just pop the pole out of the pvc to jig with. They work great on rough ice & heavy winds without tipping over. If anyone is interested in making some, I'll get the wife's digital camera & snap a couple pictures to look at. Just let me know.

Take care,

Brad

EAGLE EYES
12-06-2000, 07:51 AM
EricCO,

They make little plastic rod holders that clip on top of a 5 gallon bucket. I've owned a couple for a few years now. I don't recall the name of them at the moment, but I will try to find them for ya. They are small in size approx. 3"x1" and clip on the rim of a bucket. They are sweet! Everyone that sees them is envious. They cost me a whopping 2 bucks a piece. When your done with them for the day, just pull them off the rim and toss in the bucket. Dang it! Which I could remember the name of those buggers! I'll get back to ya!

vetspet(ind)
12-06-2000, 08:48 AM
i use two of my swivel rod holders from my boat and screw them into the top of my 5 gal bucket...one on each side...works really nice..get the exact angle i want....wont lose a rod...i lost a brand new rod last yr loaning it to a young fisherman who came over to watch me catch a large catfish...when he returned to his hole my rod and reel...never used...was gone....so anchor those rods....steve

scottcny
12-06-2000, 12:42 PM
Those rod holder that clip on the bucket are from TACKLE TAMMER. you can find them at wally world. they are red and look like the ones you mount on your boat.

AquaMan
12-06-2000, 07:57 PM
REW, very, very very slick. I just got in from putting one of these together myself and it is GREAT! I second the oppinion that you should make a slug of these and sell them at the shows. I would bet you could even bring some to a fishing derby and sell them for about $5-$8. It was nothing to make this once I got the basic idea figured out. It goes to gether like the cardboard that separates wine bottles. SLICK WICKET there Rewind!

This is my vote for the best gadget to date.

AquaMan~~~~~~~~~~~~~

REW
12-07-2000, 01:30 AM
Aquaman,
A little hint.
The last bunch that I made for my friends was made on my band saw.

I rough cut the blanks out of 1/8 inch plywood.

Then I stacked them up -- 20 at a time, clamped them together, and then cut the outline, and slots at the same time on the bandsaw.

When you are careful, you can get a perfect cut on the slots so that you get a perfect fit.

Once your pattern is made -- you can make 20 in nearly the same time as it takes to make one.

Then I took an aluminum pan and put a couple of Thompson's waterproofing in the pan.

I dipped each piece of the holder in the waterproofing -- and threaded the pieces through the 3/16" holes that I had drilled in the pieces -- on a 1/8" rod.

I had the wire hanging from the ceiling and suspended over the pan of waterproofing. This allowed the excess to drain off without wasting any.

Because the holders are often sitting in slush and or even in water -- waterproofing is a quick and easy way to extend the life of the holders, and keeps them in good shape.

Take care

REW

AquaMan
12-07-2000, 09:15 AM
LAST EDITED ON Dec-07-00 AT 11:16AM (CST)[p]I was going to use my table saw to get a clean slot cut. If I stacked them and run the "blocked" stack down the table one way and then turn the work and run it the other, I should get a perfect 1/8" slot. If the stack is too big, my band saw will travel in the middle of the stack creating a larger slot on those.

Either way, its your product and I will only make a few for the reli's.

Happy Holiday's to you, bud!

AquaMan~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Sprinter
12-08-2000, 09:20 AM
Contact Tiger Tackle Systems @ 515-265-7989. They offer a bucket style holder as well as a free standing unit. I think they retail for $4 and $9.95 respectfully. Dealer prices are very attractive as well.
FYI
Sprinter

GORD
12-08-2000, 12:25 PM
what i find that works good is entering ice fishing derbys. get there early, then just walk around looking for ideas. it's amazing all the things that guys invent and throw together. you can often improve on what they have. even the rediculous stuff can spark good ideas.

Lund_Dude
12-08-2000, 02:23 PM
I agree with you Gord, I do the same! Is there any group that is as clever as ice fishermen? We must have waaaaay to much time on our hands during the cold winter...