: toilet recommendations

Boatnut
11-30-2007, 05:35 PM
I'm in the market for a new toilet. Dang kids are hard on them. Tired of plunging every week. I'm looking for a "high performance" model (i'm sure ya'll know what THAT means!) Went to Lowes and the had an Eljer "titan" model. Menards had one by Briggs called the "vacuity"..uses some kinda vacuum assist. Later I googled "toilet reviews" and seems like one made by Toto, called the "drake" was about the best. The "Vacuity" model got pretty bad reviews.
Anyone out there have any opinions/recommendations?
Mike (aka Boatnut)

"Many fish bites if you got good bait. I'm a goin' fishin', yes, I'm a going' fishin' and my baby's goin' fishin' too" Taj Mahal, "fishing blues"

tbomn
11-30-2007, 05:56 PM
:rotflmao: :rotflmao: :rotflmao: :rotflmao: I didn't know that there was a "high performance" model........"TURBO" toilet.....:rotflmao: :rotflmao: :rotflmao: those kids should eat more fiber..

tbomn
11-30-2007, 05:59 PM
:rotflmao: :rotflmao: ..............Sorry Mike, it just hit me funny.

bountyhunters
11-30-2007, 07:14 PM
plung????????????? sounds like your not geting enough water flow to flush things over the trap. theres holes under the bowl that get plugged up with lime take a clothes hanger wire and clean the holes out .

Dave34
11-30-2007, 07:26 PM
I have 2 of the Briggs Vacuity models in my house - they are a vacuum assist and work very well. I installed one in my mother's house and she is happy with it as well.

Dave34

Boatnut
11-30-2007, 07:37 PM
dave,
thanks for reply. most of negative comments about the vacuity seemed to stem from poor quality control. seems there are things inside that can cause paper to hangup etc. as well as they are difficult to plunge if they do get plugged. thanks though.
Mike (aka Boatnut)

"Many fish bites if you got good bait. I'm a goin' fishin', yes, I'm a going' fishin' and my baby's goin' fishin' too" Taj Mahal, "fishing blues"

Boatnut
11-30-2007, 07:38 PM
thats ok....but it really ain't funny! i suppose diet changes could help but man...hard to imagine .....oh well...won't go into details!
Mike (aka Boatnut)

Stormsearch
11-30-2007, 07:53 PM
What commercial was that where the guy was stuffing everything down the toilet to get the babe plummer to come by and fix it??? Unfortunately, the toilet flushed everything down.

My wife keeps threatening to get one of those for 1st floor where it gets "lots" of use.

RANGER
11-30-2007, 08:03 PM
Kohler, Cimmaron, Class 5 flush - it's what's going into our house!! I'm done with the "New" toilets (high efficiency) of American Standard and Crane that we have now - DONE!!

Toto's are supposed to be very good as well but I'm relying on my friend, who is in the business, for this "call"!

30inwalleye unlogged
11-30-2007, 08:43 PM
I've been in the business 15 years, installed more toilets than I care to remember, I would suggest getting Kohler. They work good and OEM parts are easy to get if you need them.
Just my .02

Hurrel
12-01-2007, 05:21 AM
I also got fed up with plunging stools, especially the 1 gpf models.
I bought two with the power flush system. Stool name is Gerber but the unit in the tank is a Sloan "Flushmate". It is absolutely some of the best money I ever spent!
Hurrel

jimmy4218
12-01-2007, 05:38 AM
My wife bought a Crane "toilet in a box" for my downstairs bathroom. It comes with the guts installed in the tank, wax ring and hardware. I thought it was a gimmick and was irritated with her for buying it. As usual I ate my words as it's been a great toilet. No plugs and really fast and easy install. I had the old toilet out and the new one in inside of 30 minutes- no joke. I liked that one so much I installed a second one in my upstairs bathroom.

KHedquist
12-01-2007, 05:55 AM
I bought a American Standard for downstairs from Home Depot, it was their high end model I think called the Cadet, so far so good.

Another one I think you are thinking of is the Gerber Viper.

Look for a glazed trap, large opening and fill.

I think Kohler also makes a good one.

Do a Google search on toilet comparisons, that is where I found alot of info

quoting Mr McNamara. A SKUNKED ANGLER SHOULD BE DELIRIOUSLY CONTENT TO GO FISHING AND ACCEPT HUMILITY:exactly:. moreyes <'{{^}}< :cheers:http://www.walleyecentral.com/photopost/showgallery.php?cat=500&ppuser=106750

KHedquist
12-01-2007, 06:10 AM
http://www.gerberonline.com/catalog.aspx?categoryID=2224&itemID=3684

quoting Mr McNamara. A SKUNKED ANGLER SHOULD BE DELIRIOUSLY CONTENT TO GO FISHING AND ACCEPT HUMILITY:exactly:. moreyes <'{{^}}< :cheers:http://www.walleyecentral.com/photopost/showgallery.php?cat=500&ppuser=106750

GF
12-01-2007, 06:11 AM
There are a lot of good toilets out there. We replace a lot of power assisted toilets with the GERBER VIPER. Here is a link to most toilet we recommend. I have videos on site of the GERBER VIPER IN ACTION AS WELL AS TOTO.
http://www.abatoilet.com
Keep in mind the more parts the more problems most of the MANUFACTURES use the same parts, they just have their name on them As Kohler uses a lot of Fluidmaster 400 A ballcocks they just have their name on it. Most power assisted use a SLOAN FLUSHMATE.
I Have installed over the years more toilets than I care to mention I have seen improvements over the years and TOTO was innovator of the first good flusher.
What I tell people is read the SPECS....Here is the main thing to look for the size of TRAPWAY..Most toilets have a 2 1/4" to 2 1/2". Toto Drake has 3 TO 3 1/4" NOT all TOTO'S DO as well as other MANUFACTURES now copy TOTO'S design. The MANSFIELD is a good reasonably priced toilet as well a good flusher NOT A FOUR FLUSHER.
:rotflmao:

Here is also my main website if can't find video on VIPER.. THERE is also videos on TOTO'S. espmetro(dot)com. :rotflmao:

KHedquist
12-01-2007, 06:11 AM
http://www.espmetro.com/esp/gerberviper.html

GF
12-01-2007, 06:12 AM
:thanks2:

chadk66
12-01-2007, 08:08 AM
I have briggs vacuity toilets in my house because they were readily available and I have had good luck with them in the past. They work fine. However, I have an uncle whom was the head of personnel for the Kohler co. for 40 years and another uncle whom was the national sales manager for TOTO. Both will agree TOTO is the best toilet money can buy. They'd flush a football down. I have installed several TOTO's for relatives and they are unbelieveable.

Apple Guy
12-01-2007, 10:22 AM
I put in a Briggs with the special plastic designed apparatus in the tank in about 6 years ago. It still has issues with anything other then the thin cheap toilet paper. I was doing research on toilets and found there was a design flaw in the Briggs from sagging clay in the casting process. I am going to be replacing it in a year or two with Toto Drake.

I found a carpet store that had a Toto in it's bathroom and stuffed big globs of toilet paper down it to try to clog it and it did not clog. I sent a whole rolls worth trying to clog it. Looks like it passed at least that test in a real world environment.

We use the ultra paper so that will be the real test. I am going to have to take the testers word that it is the best non powered flusher because I can't get myself to bring a roll of the ultra over to the carpet store and try to clog their toilet up! :rotfl:

Boatnut
12-01-2007, 10:35 AM
dang Imac, best be careful....you might find yourself on "wanted" posters around town!
Mike (aka Boatnut)

Footdoc 1
12-01-2007, 12:32 PM
Put 5 Toto Drake toilets in our new house and so far they have been very reliable with no problems. We decided to get the handicap height toilets and are happy with that choice. In the previous house, we had Eljers and they were not at all reliable and even were the old type with like 5 gpf or something ridiculous. I have the Gerber power flush units in my medical office and they have been great for the past 7 years. Yes, they were a little pricey and they are also noisey but very effective.

Footdoc 1
12-01-2007, 12:32 PM
Put 5 Toto Drake toilets in our new house and so far they have been very reliable with no problems. We decided to get the handicap height toilets and are happy with that choice. In the previous house, we had Eljers and they were not at all reliable and even were the old type with like 5 gpf or something ridiculous. I have the Gerber power flush units in my medical office and they have been great for the past 7 years. Yes, they were a little pricey and they are also noisey but very effective.

Box
12-01-2007, 03:51 PM
This was a great episode :) and on topic here too ;) I wish I could find one of those Fergusons!

http://www.poopreport.com/Intellectual/Content/Ferguson/ferguson.html

-Box

Box
12-01-2007, 03:51 PM
This was a great episode :) and on topic here too ;) I wish I could find one of those Fergusons!

http://www.poopreport.com/Intellectual/Content/Ferguson/ferguson.html

-Box

GC 54
12-01-2007, 07:12 PM
Put Totos in at our home. Unbelievable performance. Spend the little extra and save on the frustrations. Afterall, how can that many Japanese be wrong. Uses very little water!
Get the enlongated bowl for the front wipers. lol

GC 54
12-01-2007, 07:12 PM
Put Totos in at our home. Unbelievable performance. Spend the little extra and save on the frustrations. Afterall, how can that many Japanese be wrong. Uses very little water!
Get the enlongated bowl for the front wipers. lol

tly
12-01-2007, 07:17 PM
This site has finally turned to xxxx!!! This is in jest, couldn't resist help him out.

tly
12-01-2007, 07:17 PM
This site has finally turned to xxxx!!! This is in jest, couldn't resist help him out.

Boatnut
12-01-2007, 08:37 PM
footdoc,
just curious why you went with the handicap height? easier on the knees when standing back up? or just more comfortable in general.

you can sure tell winters here....when threads like this get so much attention! :)
Mike (aka Boatnut)

Limiterr
12-01-2007, 09:13 PM
I replaced a Crane unit with the TOTO. Great performance. You will never have to flush twice again......

GF
12-02-2007, 04:51 AM
ADA Toilets(handicap) are becoming more and more popular in homes they are 3" higher, elongated and better in my opinion. I have used handicap toilet for myself since 1980.
Yes they are easier on knees, and easier to hit...:rotflmao:

Boatnuts kids
12-02-2007, 07:42 AM
Geez Dad! Talking about our movements on the net? So emberassing! And that picture in my mind of you taking the whole roll of toilet paper, squating and wiping your butt with it to prove your point was not necessary! In front of our friends too! I`m gonna need therapy.

Boatnut
12-02-2007, 10:41 AM
>Geez Dad! Talking about our movements on the net? So
>emberassing! And that picture in my mind of you taking the
>whole roll of toilet paper, squating and wiping your butt
>with it to prove your point was not necessary! In front of our
>friends too! I`m gonna need therapy.

Dang! they busted me!!! ;)

Mike (aka Boatnut)

RKG
12-02-2007, 04:11 PM
Another vote for Mansfield. Inexspensive and they work. I have four of them in the house for seven years, only used a plunger a couple of times, usually on my kids B O's. They store it up for days.............!!!

RKG

rspahr UL
12-02-2007, 08:52 PM
My Mother has the TOTO. It is a good one.