: camper markup

curt
02-01-2008, 02:35 PM
Just curious how much of a markup is on a typical camper. Am looking at 5 wheels, let's just say a $32,000 (msrp) dollar fifth wheel, usual options, how much is a fair price to offer a dealer? This would be a straight out, no trade. Now i don't have a problem with the dealer making a FAIR profit but I obviously wnat to make the best deal possible. Thanks in advance.

Phil T
02-01-2008, 04:43 PM
1. I don't know of any camper that's sold for suggested list price.

2. If they're used for even a couple months, their value is less than 1/2 suggested list. Dealers should have a "Blue Book" pricing guide of used RV's. Check out the almost new campers for sale on websites like RV.net. Obviously, Florida and Arizona are prime places to buy barely used.

3. Therefore, the markup must be substantial.

bountyhunters
02-01-2008, 05:30 PM
I:VE been pricing M/H in the 140k range ,salesmen knocked 20grand off without asking anybody. so I know they can deal some more.look up the rig on nada you;ll get some idea.

ffishman
02-01-2008, 06:04 PM
With the gas prices, I would imaging these guys are hurting. A couple of weeks ago, I got a flyer in the mail from a local RV dealer. On average, most of his stuff was 1/3 off. Some even more.

24 hours in a day, 24 cans in a case, you do the math

springers
02-01-2008, 09:22 PM
You should be able to get 30% off with no trade.

springers
02-01-2008, 09:22 PM
You should be able to get 30% off with no trade.

FisHn2DMax
02-02-2008, 02:38 AM
I agree with Springers....25% to 30% off MSRP. The challenge with RV's, unlike the auto industry, Most RV MSRP's are not generated and not standard from the RV maker; most MSRP's are actually generated /fabricated by the selling dealer.

The best way to determine if you're getting a good deal is to benchmark the make and model you like with Internet sources including www.rvtraderonline.com , www.RVwholesalers.com, www.RVdirect.com just to name a few. Using the benchmark data/pricing, you will be in a much better position to determine if you're getting a fair deal from your dealer. Don't be afraid to buy your 5'er from one of the Internet dealers and have it shipped to your home or you go and pick it up from the factory wholesaler. It's not unheard of to buy a RV from an Internet high volume dealer for up to 35% off what local dealers are asking.

Good Luck!

FisHn2DMax
02-02-2008, 02:38 AM
I agree with Springers....25% to 30% off MSRP. The challenge with RV's, unlike the auto industry, Most RV MSRP's are not generated and not standard from the RV maker; most MSRP's are actually generated /fabricated by the selling dealer.

The best way to determine if you're getting a good deal is to benchmark the make and model you like with Internet sources including www.rvtraderonline.com , www.RVwholesalers.com, www.RVdirect.com just to name a few. Using the benchmark data/pricing, you will be in a much better position to determine if you're getting a fair deal from your dealer. Don't be afraid to buy your 5'er from one of the Internet dealers and have it shipped to your home or you go and pick it up from the factory wholesaler. It's not unheard of to buy a RV from an Internet high volume dealer for up to 35% off what local dealers are asking.

Good Luck!

went522
02-02-2008, 04:14 AM
Yes, internet pricing can be very good. We ended buying ours off Ebay, new. It was from a large dealer in MI. We actually had the same camper on "hold" at the rv show. Came across the same exact one on Ebay that night...$2000 less, it actually had a couple more options. Shipping was like $500, saved $1500 when it was all said and done. And we felt the RV show pricing was good.

BIRDDOG

went522
02-02-2008, 04:14 AM
Yes, internet pricing can be very good. We ended buying ours off Ebay, new. It was from a large dealer in MI. We actually had the same camper on "hold" at the rv show. Came across the same exact one on Ebay that night...$2000 less, it actually had a couple more options. Shipping was like $500, saved $1500 when it was all said and done. And we felt the RV show pricing was good.

BIRDDOG

Phil T
02-02-2008, 12:35 PM
A news report last winter claimed that Winnebago couldn't keep up with demand for its highest-end RV's.
If you can really afford a $310,000 motor home, gas/diesel prices don't mean much.

pepe
02-02-2008, 01:53 PM
i live in nw indiana, and all i can tell you is that the rv manufactures are laying off a lot of people. they should really be dealing right now...pepe

Phil T
02-02-2008, 10:22 PM
A few years ago, a local retired couple bought a motor home for $216,000 and used it for one winter. Due to health problems, they couldn't use it anymore.
He went back to the dealership where he bought it, and learned its "high book" value was $90,000. It was valued at high book because it hadn't had smokers, pets, or kids in it. The dealership offered $85,000 cash.
the man tried to sell it for $100,000 as a private party, but had no takers after a month. I don't know what he settled for.

These things don't depreciate like cars, they depreciate like Japanese motorcycles. Buy used if possible.

jerry bark
02-03-2008, 10:49 AM
I bought a new travel trailer on friday, i paid 14,995 for a trailer with an MSRP of just over 22k in a cash deal. based on my shopping they don;t get much better than that. IMO if you can buy for 30% off msrp or less you've got their best price.

good luck,
jerry