: Using 4-wheeler to plow snow?

eyesgotu
06-05-2008, 02:43 PM
Anybody out there have a 4-wheeler in which they use to plow snow with? I have a Honda 450 Foreman and am considering getting a plow attachment to plow snow here in northern michigan and am curious what others think about it. Any suggestions on which plow, winch etc. to get? Just how much snow can i expect to push or is it just not worth it? I've been using my ariens snowblower for now, which works fine, but think i'm ready for a change. Let me know what you think.

eric

also
06-05-2008, 03:21 PM
I live in NE MN, and used a Honda 300 to plow snow for years. I have switched to a Yamaha 450. Both worked well.

walfshmn
06-05-2008, 03:40 PM
I had a Polaris 700 with winch and plow and I used it only 1 year and found it would not push any piles of snow off the road.
I plow 1700 feet of road and it is not flat and lots of trees along the side so it is hard to push the snow around the trees and it would not push piles of snow up hill so I now have a 29 hp. tractor with 4WD and it works great.
The 4 wheeler would be fine if you have fairly flat roads so you could get up some speed and throw the snow farther off the road.
If you get snowfall of 6" or more I don't think they work that good IMHO.

went522
06-05-2008, 03:56 PM
I have both a snowblower an atv/plow...the snowblower hasn't been used in 2 years. All I use anymore is the atv.

Push the snow a lot further than you think you'll need so in the future you have room to pile snow. If the storm is expected to dump a lot of snow, plow half way through the storm, then again after it's over. I find 6" of snow no problem for the atv, 8-10" can be interesting especially if it's wet snow. At that point I'll throw the chains on, don't really need them but they do help in the heavy, wet stuff.

I never enjoyed snowblowing, hated doing it! I enjoy plowing, look forward to the snow.

BIRDDOG

They are fun
06-05-2008, 04:30 PM
I bought the county plow to put on my honda Reubicon and it works well and it's fun to play around with. Make sure you have enough room where you will push your main snow banks back far enough. I oly use my plow on snow falls up to 6" otherwise I use my snow blower. My drive way is about 200 yards long and my snowblower takes only half the gas and about a half hour longer than the plow. I have an office job, so I enjoy snowblowing at night and the excercise. At first it's like a new toy and you will love it, but then you will find that the snowblower keeps the edges softer and neater and you don't have to go back and forth, back and forth, back and forth and that can get old. If you gots the extra cash, go for it and you will have fun with it.

Steve B
06-05-2008, 04:31 PM
I've plowed with my atv for years. Works great, and it's actually kinda fun. I have the manual lift on mine. I was hesitant at first about it, but after a few minutes, I was sold on it and realized that I didn't need the winch. You can literally lift the blade with two fingers with the manual lift, and it's a lot faster than using a winch.

went522
06-05-2008, 04:49 PM
I used the winch for a few days...hooked the manual back up. I also find it alot quicker.

BIRDDOG

eyesgotu
06-05-2008, 05:07 PM
Hey, i forgot to ask, but which brand of plow is a good one to get? Are any from cabela's any good? Are they fairly easy to install by oneself?

moose county plow
06-05-2008, 05:25 PM
since my machine is a bit bigger, it can push more so I went with the big daddy, Moose County plow. It was the biggest on the market at that time and it can push a lot. I have found that by putting an extra 100 pounds in my back rack allows you to push more snow since the tires won't slip. Also, if you make your bank a gradual slope, you will find it will freeze up between plow jobs, and you can drive up the slope and push over and I have had some banks at least 7 feet tall and driving up and pushing over them.

http://www.powersportsnetwork.com/accessoriesdetail/product=436238/levelcode=9653/catalog=3651/Honda+Licensed+ATV+Accessories+by+Moose/COUNTY+PLOW/accessories436238.htm

TEXAS PIGS
06-05-2008, 05:50 PM
I have the exact 4 wheeler and I have a manual plow on it, 4' wide cycle country brand. I have 2 80' x 35' driveways and with about 6 inches of snow I can be done in about 45 minutes with both. it also works great for sidewalks and patios. my neighbors have half as much driveway and I can beat them done, and have twice the fun. hope this helps!:rock-on:

Limiterr
06-05-2008, 06:48 PM
I live in NW Ontario and used an ATV for years. The quad will not handle big, wet snow. I plow about 150ft or so and in bad years run out of areas to push snow. I was damaging the grass pushing onto it. I bought an Ariens snowblower and love the unit. Good luck

Hawgeye Unlogged
06-06-2008, 06:37 AM
Last winter was the first year for me. I have a 400 ATV Arctic cat and moved snow with a manual lift just fine. I use the plow about 80% of the time and the snowblower the other %20 of the time. Works fantastic and a little enjoyable compared to the trudgery of the snowblower

eyesgotu
06-06-2008, 10:48 AM
Are chains also necessary with getting the plow? Any other good brands of plows out there and are they fairly easy to install by yourself? The dealer near me said it would be $200 to install. To #### with that i said. Oh and how about mounting brackets for the plow? Any suggestions here and lastly is the plow easy to take on and off? I hear that some mounting brackets are a realy pain when hooking and unhooking the plow. Sounds like heavy wet snow is the enemy with the plow, but overall it seems like they work fine.

eric

eyesgotu
06-06-2008, 10:48 AM
Are chains also necessary with getting the plow? Any other good brands of plows out there and are they fairly easy to install by yourself? The dealer near me said it would be $200 to install. To #### with that i said. Oh and how about mounting brackets for the plow? Any suggestions here and lastly is the plow easy to take on and off? I hear that some mounting brackets are a realy pain when hooking and unhooking the plow. Sounds like heavy wet snow is the enemy with the plow, but overall it seems like they work fine.

eric

witt734
06-06-2008, 10:52 AM
I have been using a Kaw 400 praire 4x4 for 4 yrs and yes it can push alot of snow. I have a 200 x 60 drive way and it can push out 12" n about 1-1 1/2 hrs. uses about 1 gallon of gas in doing so.

cabin10 - unlogged
06-06-2008, 12:20 PM
I have a Polaris 700 with the Warn plow and winch. I've been using it for about 5 years. It really does take care of most any snowfall. I guess the biggest thing is to push the first few snowfalls far enough away so you have room to push it as the winter progresses. I still use the snowblower on the cement apron - like to get down to the cement so it melts off quicker.

My only problem with the setup is the roller guide setup. I think it isn't supported enough and bent down. So now, the cable rubs on a cross bar on the warn winch and is wearing it out. Have to come up with something different or else that's going to be problem.

Let it Snow
06-06-2008, 07:27 PM
I have the same four wheeler as you. I use a 4' Moose plow with the manual lift. Friends of mine had a electric winch and they were never happy with them, too slow.

SoDakMac
06-07-2008, 08:25 PM
>My only problem with the setup is the roller guide setup. I
>think it isn't supported enough and bent down. So now, the
>cable rubs on a cross bar on the warn winch and is wearing it
>out. Have to come up with something different or else that's
>going to be problem.

Cabin 10 - I must have the same setup you have. The newer winches have an additional support bracket on the top. I accused my dealer of not installing the winch correctly and found out it was a design problem with the earlier winches. I just put a small block of wood under the roller and it works fine. I live in the country and have a lot of driveway and have found the ATV to be very effective plowing snow unless it is really wet. Wet snow will cause the machine to spin out. Snows of six inches and more are somewhat problematic but just take more time to deal with. I also have a tractor/loader if it gets really deep. I have never seen a need for chains.

Pokey Fisherman
06-08-2008, 03:28 PM
I have a older ATV, a Suzuki 500 Quadrunner and had a manual lift for years but didn't like it. It wouldn't lift to high so when you would back up it would drag some snow back with me. This year I bought a winch and had to weld a bracket on to mount it. I was able to use the winch without the roller guides and its fast and now my arm doesn't get sore. I have to use chains since the earlier machines where lighter and had smaller tires, I also need them for ice fishing.

dewyg
06-08-2008, 04:30 PM
I have a polaris sportsman 400 and live in NW Ontario, I plow my 1/4 mile driveway with a steep hill up and down never a problem in 5 years. You do have to start wide in the fall no question there but I ended up plowing 4 driveways now because it is easy and fun to do, my wife enjoys it as well. The really heavy stuff is a little troublesome but the 10 inches of wet snow we got in April/May was no real issue.

The Old Mud
06-09-2008, 08:37 AM
This year was my first year using an ATV to plow the snow in Chassell MI. We average over 250 inches a year. My Suzuki Vinson 500 with an eagle plow worked great. I bought the cab enclosure from cabelas for added comfort and I have a warn 2500 pound winch. If you get a winch I recommend buying the extra rope and put that on for plowing. I haven't tried it but my ATV dealer says it holds up better than the wire rope for plowing. The machine worked so well I plow both neighbors houses as well, you will be surprised on how well it moves snow.

Chuckunlogged
06-11-2008, 09:11 AM
Been plowing with ATV's for years, since 1990 with our first Kawi 220 2WD. That didn't work so well, but have had plows on several ATVs thereafter plowing lots of snow. Long, remote driveways it worked great.

I have a Honda Foreman 450 and it plows TONS of snow. I keep a plowed road going to my fishhouse all winter to get the shack on/off the lake and keep the drifts of snow to a minimum around the shack all winter.

I have aftermarket oversized tires, and they greatly improve performance.

We had 2 major storms in April this year with over 12" of heavy, wet snow and the ATV plowed with ease...