: FISHING MOON RIVER

Tom
07-24-2000, 10:32 PM
ANY INFO. ON FISHING THE MOON RIVER AREA IN EARLY AUGUST. BEST LURE FOR PIKE AND BEST LOCATIONS FOR EITHER WALLEYE OR MUSKIE. WILLBE STAYING AT WOODS BAY LODGEIN THE LUXURY COTTAGE ! FINALLY , WHAT KINDS OF WATER DOES THE MOON HAVE . DEEP,SHALLOW , SHOALS , WEEDS . ???
THANKS, TOM

szopster
07-29-2000, 10:17 PM
Never fished the Moon but I have driven over it many times. I may be able to help you because I just got back from just north of where you are headed. When I fished for walleyes I primarily fished the Shawanaga, a river that flows into Georgian Bay about the same size as the Moon.

Here goes... For whatever reason, 19 to 25 foot deep flats with little or no current had the fish stacked like wood. Me, the wife & son used 1/4 fuzzy grubs, all colors worked, with 6 & 8 lb line to nail them. We tipped the jigs with crawlers hooked halfway between the ends, the Bob Probst/Mike McClelland way. These spots, and I found two produced all day with some bonus smallies to boot. Found the spots by drifting and dragging. The other thing about the spots is that they were a straight drop from the shoreline. Walleyes to use these "walls" to corner baitfish.

My southern Ontario fishing guide says the Moon is very clear and mostly under 30 feet deep. Sounds identicle to where I was.

Hope this helps.

Good luck!

Fuzzy
08-01-2000, 10:09 AM
Woods Bay Lodge is 'around the corner' from Blackstone Harbour. Start there. There is a reef on the SE end. Don't be surprised if you mark monsters. A 65 lb skie was taken there in the late 80's. Don't be surpised if fishing is poor. It is a tough area to fish when the bite is off. Very tough. You might have to troll Rapala's at night. Look for weedlines for pike and rock for smallies. There is also a untapped largemouth population there. Get a really good map and bring the GPS because there are zillions of islands and channels to troll and it is very easy to get lost. Also zillions of rocks just beneath the surface so be careful. The Islands and weedbeds out in the Bay (nearshore) can be good as well.