: Bad Lac Seul Resorts

Jet
07-28-2002, 04:40 PM
I'm looking for a resort for a 2003 June fishing trip, I have read so many great things about Lac Seul, the fishing, and the lodges that I have decided to plan a trip to Lac Seul.
I have read so many things about this great lodge and that great lodge that I have begun to question the honesty of some of the posts.
We have all had trips that for one reason or another never quit measured up to our expectations.
Lac Seul has many, many fine resorts i'm sure, but I'm sure it also has a few resorts that should be avoided.
We all work hard and look forward to the big fishing trip each year. Money and vacation day's need to be spent wisley.
It could really suck to have planned, saved and anticipated a trip all year, only to arrive at a camp that is run by people that just want to collect money, keep the guests out of there hair, and provide less then what was promissed in their brochure our web site.
Lets help each other avoid this and send a strong message to the few lodge owners that have been getting away with this.
Since we are dealing with people's lives here (lodge owners) please be extremely honest and specific with any complaint, maybe this could help a lodge clean up it's act.

Walleye Wacker
07-28-2002, 05:48 PM
We have had one bad experience at a lodge on LS. But those owners were short lived. Other fisherman that I have talked to have had the same experience when they utilized a lodge that did not maintain an acceptble level of service...the owners were short lived. Dont forget running a Lodge is like running any other business if you dont deliver good service to your customers you no longer can stay in business. Time has a way of weeding out those who dont really want to run a business and a Lodge is definitly a business. Our group stays at lac Seul Lodge and I have stayed at their main lodge and their outposts. Both accomadations have been outstanding. The owner and his employees are up at the crack of dawn and are still working long after the guests have sat down to relax for the evening. The owner has improved his outposts every year with remoeling and upgrades in boats and motors. Im sure there are lodges on LS that are not up to all our standards but they will take care of their own problem....thats the way it always has worked and will continue to work.

Jigger1
07-28-2002, 09:24 PM
Jet - It's not cheap, but I challenge you to prove me wrong with Silver Water Wheel Lodge. It's worth every single cent and then some.

Fishhead50
07-29-2002, 04:19 PM
We fished Mahkwa for 3 years. The fishing got better every year and the service which started out good, got worse every year(American Plan). Last year the fishing was the best we have ever had anywhere. However, the service was so poor that we wrote a letter of complaint. Upon receipt of our letter, Mahkwa asked us not to return. Needless to say, we will be fishing elsewhere.

csm
07-29-2002, 06:17 PM
Cannot say anything about other resorts on Lac Seul because I have only stayed at one, but I have been at Silver Water Wheel Lodge and its terrific. It might be a little expensive on the surface, but the only costs not covered up front are only what you buy from the lodge (fishing lures, shirts, hats, etc). Everything about the resort is first class and the fishing has aways been super and the days its not, its not for everybody on the lake and the guides are working very hard. As to the costs, while it appears a little more than others, after they tack X, Y and Z onto your bill, its likely the same. I have been going to Canada since I was 10 years old and I am now 42, and this is the best run lodge, with the best equipment, with the best staff and owner that I have been at. Just got back from a trip to LOTW to a "premuim resort" and it was half as good as the trip I had the month before to SWWL. I rate that not on the fishing because weather, fish, ,etc. but on the equipmentm, guides, and committment of everybody to provided customer service that excellent. I hear ya on the reality of cost and limited vacations, which why again, cheaper is not always better. Low cost bids often seem great, but then they are low cost providers or tack on so many hidden costs that your hammered at the end.

best of luck in your search. If my fishing group would go to SWWL more than once a year, I would be there!...csm

Jigger1
07-30-2002, 11:44 AM
csm ---> ditto, ditto, and ditto again! SWWL is the only lodge I've stayed at on Lac Seul and wouldn't even think to look at another. We're booked for 2003 (fourth annual) with a party of eight and like you, if possible, would jump at the opportunity of making it a bi-annual trip. We fish the last couple days of June and first two or three days of July depending on how the dates fall. I fished Eagle and Lake of the Woods in my youth and not a one of them could lay a finger to the quality of the entire experience at SWWL & Lac Seul.

Woody
07-30-2002, 01:53 PM
If you can book in June without going for many years you will be answering your own question...............

woman
07-30-2002, 09:32 PM
Thought this was for bad reports but since its for good will give one Were here all summer and have seen the people at Lac seul Evergreen bed over back wards for there guest. The fishing, the service, the camp is top notch and the price is rite.

Tom
07-30-2002, 09:49 PM
I think this whole string has been a bunch of political crap with the distinct possibility of doing harm to potentially innocent people's livelihood. I know from being in the business, that fisherman who stay at your camp hold you personally accountable for their fishing success whether they know which end of a pole to hold or not. Let's cut the crap and stay with what counts fishing, not slanderous conduct.

Walleye Wacker
07-31-2002, 06:33 AM
Tom, Good point. I think most of us that answered this question took a defensive position and waved the flag for the GOOD resorts we stay at on Lac Seul.

joe
07-31-2002, 10:58 AM
There is no need to hurt anyone's business, but one of the good things about a site like this is that you can share your experiences. I take it all with a grain of salt - the good and the bad.

All that being said, I'd be interested in how others experienced Lost Island Lodge on Lac Seul??

Wally Canuk
07-31-2002, 04:01 PM
I am from the area and most resorts on Lac Seul are very good. I recomend Silver Water Wheel. Great fishing and location. You will experience fishing of a life time!!

Good Luck!!

Jon
07-31-2002, 06:03 PM
I will tell you why Silver Water Wheel Lodge is so good. Mike Willems is the owner, and chief guide. He has set the standards that the other guides must adhere too. His standards are high, and he tells the truth.

Jim
07-31-2002, 08:44 PM
How are the cabins at Silver Water Wheel? Do they have full shower facilities and gas heat?. I noticed something on web page about wood burning stoves in cabins. Thanks.

Jigger1
07-31-2002, 09:48 PM
Jim - I'm familiar with about three of Mike's cabins. All are equiped with propane heaters. I know one or two of the cabins also have wood burning stoves. We've stayed in cabin #2 the last two years and it has two full modern bathrooms. Three years ago I stayed in the small cabin and it has a shower.

mty quin
08-01-2002, 09:42 AM
fishhead
we are trying the american plan for the first time this year. we have always stayed in the cabins until this year fue to the size of or group. what is so bad about their american plan service? you are scaring me. the fishing has always been excellent and i hate to get a bad taste in my mouth.

Jet
08-01-2002, 09:22 PM
Tom,
This request for lodge information is for personal selfish reasons.
I have been to lodges on other lakes that have failed to live up to their advertisment. I was just looking for some information on Lac Seul Lodges that I may want to stay away from, I don't have a history with any of them, I've never been to the lake before and wanted to make sure that I/we don't get burned!
In no way do I hold a lodge responsible for catching fish, this year our group had 2 guys that don't have much fishing experience and there results reflected that, They didn't get mad at the lodge or the lake, they took it as an opportunity to learn to fish.

BD
08-01-2002, 10:33 PM
I loged in before replying to this post. I noticed that there was one lodge that got a bad recomendation. Was fishhead50 being truthful? Is he a competitor or a former employee of that lodge with an axe to grind? Three lodges were recomended. Were the recomendations for these lodges from guests who were happy with these lodges or the lodge owners? Tom was worried about bad press. Maybe it has hurt his business in the past. He could become a member or member/advertizer and say I own a lodge, please give me the chance to host your party. Jigger1 IS A MEMBER and his is the ONLY recomendation I would consider. His contact info is available to others and if he starts giving out bad info a lot of people could get on his case. If you want others to take you seriously become a member. Don't hide behind guest user status.

"Angling: incessant expectation, and perpetual disappointment." --- Arthur Young (circa 1787)

sdyer
08-02-2002, 07:16 AM
BD,

I could not agree with you more. To many business/lodge owners come on this and other sites giving flase testimonials while they hide behind there guest user id's. i only listen to registered members on this site because they are visible and most often tell the truth. I wish everyone had to register to in order to reply or p[ost. Maybe we would get the truth 90% of the time. Sorry for the ranting here but it really bothers me when people spam this board becasue this board is awesome most of the time.

Jigger1
08-02-2002, 12:23 PM
Hey Guys - I'm just a regular Joe who absolutely loves fishing. I decided to do some research four years ago in preparation of taking my first teenager to Canada. I plan to do this with each of my kids individually when they turn 13. I had fished Eagle Lake and Lake of the Woods as a kid/teen and caught tons of fish, although I never broke the 24" walleye plain. In the last three years I've personally caught 40 walleyes over 24", 11 over 27" and that's in 12 full days of fishing.

As I said, Iím kind of a fishing geek and watch fishing shows when I can. I had seen a fishing show on Lac Seul and became intrigued with what I saw. Monster after monster walleye being caught! I did my due diligence and researched about five lodges (sent each one and email) and only three responded. Mikeís response from SWWL was so dang compelling I had to respond. Keep in mind this was after just completing his first year of ownership.

Long and the short of it was I made the decision to go to Silver Water Wheel Lodge and my daughter and I had the absolute best time of our lives. I made a decision right there and then that I would be visiting this lodge every year for as long as Iím able. The following year I arranged a trip with three other guys, one of them a first time fisherman. They all had such a great time they immediately committed for 2002. This year we had a group of six and again all committed for 2003. We will grow the group to eight for next year.

I donít know what it is about the place, the lake, the fishing or what, but it is the most addicting thing Iíve ever been exposed to. I absolutely think of it every single day and canít wait for next years trip. Itís a retreat like there is no retreat. Iíve said it once and Iíll say it again ... Mike Willems is a first class fisherman who runs a first class resort. I would recommend it to anyone who wants to truly experience a fishing trip of a lifetime.

casey_doyle
08-02-2002, 07:41 PM
I want to go back up there next year.

would you please give me the email address of the lodge?
thanks

Jigger1
08-03-2002, 08:12 AM
Casey,

I don't know Mike's email address of the top of my head, but keep in mind he doesn't pick up email until after the fishing season. The web address is www.sww-lodge.com

rip
08-05-2002, 12:32 AM
just checked the prices,WHAT A RIP OFF!
Shop around!Don;t take the word of annonomus posters!

Trailerguy
08-05-2002, 06:37 AM
Rip
What excellent advice! (oh, but that means you too doesen't it?)
I have not fished Lac Seul, but have fish near there many times in the last 25 years. I can tell you that you often get just what you pay for. A quality fishing experience, like a beatiful face is in the eye of the beholder.

gary
08-05-2002, 08:24 AM
Which end of the lake are you looking at? West or East?
If you are looking at the West end, try Gold Pines Camp. Bill, Helen, Pete and Christa are top notch folks. Their prices are more than reasonable. They do not offer the American Plan. In June, many camps are making a run up to the West end because of the excellent fishing. You are never more than twenty minutes from prime fishing. However, like one of the other posts said, trying to book for June this late in the year can be a problem at times.

Outdoorzman
08-05-2002, 03:08 PM
I agree with Rip.... The pricing is crazy!
I live in Ontario north of Toronto and I make the trip to Sioux Lookout 2X per year, 1 for fishing the other for hunting but I wouldn't DARE pay those prices, especially in US Funds?? I think US pricing in Canada should be illegal but anyways......

Here is what I do, for all its worth :

I book a cabin at Deer Path Resort located on Big Vermilion Lake between Sioux Lookout and Hudson for not much more that a few hundred buck$ and I tow my boat up there like most people do, but I believe there are boats for rent.
Now Big V has some awesome lake trout/bass fishing, as well as a few lakes you can hike to for some great Brook Trout fishing, and should I want to hit Lac Soul for Walleye & Pike I only have to tow the boat 5mins and launch for free outside of Hudson.
Take it for what its worth, i've been going there for many years, 18hr drive each way and I doubt I spend anymore than $700-800/Canadian including food for over a week.

Deer Path Resort is owned by Rick Botham, if anyone would like the phone # i'd be happy to post it.

Outdorzman

Fred K.
08-06-2002, 09:27 AM
Jet,
I have fished Lac Seul for six years. One year at Silver Water Wheel( old owner) five years at Mahkwa. This year we fished second week of June. Eight guys in my group on American Plan . Over five years we average twelve guys , largest group sixteen with no problems. We take guides every day ( only for convenience). Things we like about Mahkwa :

1) Clean Cabins
2) Custom order your breakfast
3) Rough or bad weather ? Lunch in the Lodge.
4) Flex dinner time.
5) Evening fishing.
6) Satelite T.V
7)Screened Gazebo and six person Hot Tube overlooking the lake.
8)Around the corner from Vaughan Lake.(Spawning Area )
9)BEST WALLEYE FISHING IN 15 YEARS OF FISHING IN CANADA !!!!!
Where ever you decide to stay ? Make sure it's on LAC SEUL !!!
NOTE: FISHHEAD please give me the name of the person who told not to come back!!

Tom
08-06-2002, 09:47 AM
I have not visited Silver Water Wheel but have heard great things about the place. My only statement to Jigger is if you have never stayed at any of the other resorts on Lac Seul, your opinion regarding Silver Water Wheel is fine but you don't have any qualifications to say if it the best, median or worst lodge on the lake.

Again, I have heard Silver Water Wheel is a great place but if jigger hasn't experienced others, you have no reference point.

I have stayed at Gold Pines, Scout Lake and Lac Seul Lodge. They were all very good places to stay.

Jigger1
08-06-2002, 01:00 PM
Tom,

I donít believe Iíve made any reference to SWWL being the best on Lac Seul with any of my comments. I donít have a frame of reference so how could I? What I have done is shared my opinion regarding my experiences which have been exceptional. I have issued a challenge for someone to prove me wrong because I feel theyíll be hard pressed to do so. Iíve also pointed out with previous postings that itís not cheap but feel itís worth every cent ... again based on my experience.

Bottom line ---> Ladies and Gents I humbly suggest you do your own due diligence. Write or call the owners like I did and pick the one thatís right for you.

I hope you all find your fishing nirvana. Iíve found mine! Best of luck to everyone and let the big girls go!

Jigger1 ---> out on this topic

Duane
08-06-2002, 02:28 PM
I have NEVER been to Silver Water Wheel. But the outfitter that I have fished with on Lac Seul for the last 13 years told me that the Silver Water Wheel runs a first class operation. My outfitter also runs a first class operation and I was pleased to hear him recognize one of his competitors for the effort it takes to run a great fishing Lodge. PS...For those non-believers ...I dont own a Lodge and non of my relation does....I just love to fish and be treated well by a class outfitter.

Old Bill
08-06-2002, 03:21 PM
It's been established in this forum that Lac Seul Lodge is a first class operation. I'm thinking of going there in early June. I see that they are located in one of the smaller bays. Since I've never fished the lake I'm hoping that'll be some protection from the wind. But---how far will we have to travel in June for the best fishing? We'll probably be running a 17 ft Lund with 50 hp. I'm thinking the lake might be too big for me. Any comments?

Walleye Wacker
08-06-2002, 03:33 PM
Lac Seul Lodge owner Dan Mcdonald will send you straight across the lake to Sunlight and in early June you will be in Walleye Heaven. In your boat it is about a 25 minute run and well worth it. I have had some great days in Sunlight (two fisherman 200+ Walleye) . Dan even has a outpost in Sunlight....GOOD LUCK

Larry
08-06-2002, 04:32 PM
i have come to the conclusion that this board is becoming some sort of chamber of commerce advertisement for local lodge owners. i recently stayed at one of the most inexpensive lodges on lac seul. everything was great. the toilet flushed. the refrigerator kept the food and beer cold. the boats started and ran ok. there were plenty of minnows. the oven worked. water was hot and plentiful. screens kept the bugs out. beds were clean and comfortable. what more could you ask for? we made our own meals. who has time to eat? we were our own guides. if you cannot find fish on lac seul, you have a serious problem. i may be naive, but to spend $800-1000/week on guides seems a waste of money. and to pay for 3 meals a day? who has time for that? i guess some folks have a lot more money than me. but, i doubt it. i'm retired and a little tight. i fished with a bank president, a corporate vice-president, an independent insurance agency owner and a business consultant and they were all satisfied. a wonderful trip was had by all. we all have about a grand more in our pockets today than many of you that went first class. to each his own, i guess.

Walleye Wacker
08-06-2002, 05:48 PM
Larry,Larry,Larry, Dont get so uptight. We are simply discussing the Lodges that we stay at. I dont see the harm in letting interested fisherman hear about our experiences at the Lodges that we like or dislike. You obviously enjoyed the Lodge you chose and that is great. I do agree with you that if a fisherman knows anything about fishing getting a guide on Lac Seul is like taking a six pack into a tavern. The fish are everywhere and can be caught with some very simple tactics. the Lodge we stay at cost us $500 per man per week including boats and motors. We eat our own cooking (when we can stand it). By the way if you dont mind telling us WHERE DID YOU STAY ???

Larry
08-06-2002, 06:14 PM
wacker, i said i was tight. didn't realize i was uptight. i'm gonna remain faithful to my original premise and not mention the lodge. i don't want to fight for next year's reservations with guys reading this board. i'll be glad to share any other info, just not the lodge. i do think that some of these posts are illegitimate, especially those about that one "special" lodge. unuptight larry

Walleye Wacker
08-07-2002, 06:37 AM
Larry, Sorry about the uptight comment...didnt mean it badly. You are right there is no one special lodge. In close to 50 years of Walleye fishing and probably 20 different lodges I only had one bad experience and many awesome memorys. Good Luck fishing and remember catch and release for the future.

Kaz
08-07-2002, 08:59 AM
Joe: I have stayed at Lost Island Lodge several times and each have been eceptional!! Jim Hayes is a excellent host. The cabins are kept very clean and are fairly new. They are seasoned owners and the the guides, if you want one, are not the young kids some resorts have. Basil, the head guide is on top of the game and will put you on fish. Good spots are within 5 minutes of the lodge and the lodge is only 10 minutes from the landing. Each eveing a bunch of guest gather at the big deck and swap the day sucess. Jim and his wife are always around to be available for anything you need. They even vacume the carpet daily, that how clean it is!! I would highly recommend Lost Island. I don't stay they anymore because I now have my own place at LOTW, but if I didn't I would surely go back again. I GIVE IT AN A+++...Kaz

jimmy
08-07-2002, 05:31 PM
have fished LS for 25 years. Would be glad to give you my honest impressions. Just email me at giometta4@msn.com

The BADGER
08-07-2002, 10:55 PM
KAZ,
DOES LOST ISLAND LODGE HAVE AN ADDRESS OR WEB-SITE? I HAVE NEVER KNOWN HOW TO GET IN CONTACT WITH THEM TO CHECK THEM OUT.

THEY WON'T FORGET THE DAY THE BADGER CAME OUT TO PLAY.

Arkie eye jerker
08-07-2002, 11:34 PM
Try this link: http://www.lostislandlodge.com/

I think its what your looking for. If you hook up with them let me know how it is. I'm planning on a trip to Lac Seul next summer and have not made up my mind for sure which place to go.

Joe
08-08-2002, 04:00 PM
Thanks Kaz! Wasn't sure I was going to get a comment on the place. Here's hoping the lac stays hot through September!!

Joe

Kaz
08-09-2002, 05:51 PM
Badger: Arkie is "Right On" about the web site. I didn't know about it!!! It's the right one and Jim Hayes is the owner... You can't go wrong there. Say to Jim and Basil for me if you go. Tell him the "Shampoo Man" said HELLO....Kaz

tim jias
09-21-2002, 05:53 PM
no bad reports.just good to say about outpost camps in armsrong area.have trip booked for june 2003 and need some fishermen to fill in trip .15 mile long lake system all to yourselves.100 fish per person per day with stable weather.if interested contact bigfoot99@msn.com

Big Tim
10-02-2002, 06:44 AM
The 3 bays (3 miles & several off shoot bays) between the lodge & the main lake offer plenty of protection on windy days & hold many fish. Your boat is perfect for the lake. As far as 25 min. run to Sunlight & broad lakes---more like an hour unless your boat can do 65 mph. The 17' lunds with 40 hp 4 strokes that dan rents top out @ 29.9 mph,(on my GPS) & it takes a good hour to make the trip, but ,MAN , is it worth it! (4guys/ 1 day = 352 walleye!)
From the reports of Silver water wheel lodge, it sounds like they run a class opperation. Dan is a second generation lodge owner & really takes great care of his guests & all his property. The biggest diff. I see is in the services offered, Lac Seul Lodge does not have food services, you cook your own , when & how you like.
If you don't mind doing your own cooking you can't go wrong with Lac Seul Lodge. If you can book any time.

Old Bill
10-02-2002, 03:14 PM
Big Tim, thanks for the information. That's exactly what I was hoping to hear. Now I can rest easy.

Curt
10-03-2002, 11:53 AM
Most of these posts are just a bunch bashing by guys that probably can't catch a cold, get drunk and try to disrobe the cabin girls, and puke in there beds. I am gone, forever. I am tired of it. Don't you guys have anything better to do.