: Rules on crossing border if you have had a DUI / OWI

Lady Walleye Slayer
06-11-2004, 02:09 PM
My group leaves for Canada in 6 weeks, I just got word that one of the people in our group unfortunately got picked up for an OWI last night. I have heard that if you have had a DUI or OWI that you can not enter Canada, is this true? Please let me know what needs to be done and if there a website where I can go read up on it.

Thanks,
Lady Walleye Slayer

Lady Walleye Slayer
06-11-2004, 02:09 PM
My group leaves for Canada in 6 weeks, I just got word that one of the people in our group unfortunately got picked up for an OWI last night. I have heard that if you have had a DUI or OWI that you can not enter Canada, is this true? Please let me know what needs to be done and if there a website where I can go read up on it.

Thanks,
Lady Walleye Slayer

idapaul
06-11-2004, 02:41 PM
tell them to put off going to court untill after the trip and they won't have anything show on thier record. it should not be on record untill they are convicted.

idapaul
06-11-2004, 02:41 PM
tell them to put off going to court untill after the trip and they won't have anything show on thier record. it should not be on record untill they are convicted.

JohnG
06-11-2004, 03:18 PM
Actually, if it was in Minnesota, it will show up on his record as a revocation, for a dui since the implied consent part of a dui is actually civil, and is a seperate matter from the criminal act of dui. I know it's confusing and doesn't make sense, a lot of MN dui law is that way.

JohnG
Actually, if it was in Minnesota, it will show up on his record as a revocation, for a dui since the implied consent part of a dui is actually civil, and is a seperate matter from the criminal act of dui. I know it's confusing and doesn't make sense, a lot of MN dui law is that way.

just wondering
do they check the criminal record or your driving record? It will be on the DOT record sooner then 6 weeks. You can apply for a "waiver" cost a couple hundred. Index this site I'm sure it has info on the subject. Chance are they won't check anyway.

just wondering
do they check the criminal record or your driving record? It will be on the DOT record sooner then 6 weeks. You can apply for a "waiver" cost a couple hundred. Index this site I'm sure it has info on the subject. Chance are they won't check anyway.

Been There
06-11-2004, 03:28 PM
Use the search function type DUI and there is lots of info on the subject in this forum

Been There
06-11-2004, 03:28 PM
Use the search function type DUI and there is lots of info on the subject in this forum

JohnG
06-11-2004, 09:34 PM
Slayer-

We just went through this problem with a guy in our group, he got a DUI 11/1999, so it was just under 5 years, I called CDN immigration, they told me that we may or may not be checked at the border, if we are checked, my friend would be refused entry into Canada because his sentence was completed less than five years ago, if we weren't checked, and got into the country, he was then in Canada illegaly, which is definately not good. So in order to enter the country, he would have to have completed a rehabilitation application, and have it approved, which could take up to a year. Our only choice was to find someone else to take his place, he completely understood, and believe me, he regrets putting himself in that position back in November 99. If I were you, I would let your friend know the situation and try to find someone else to go, if they get upset, I guess it's their own fault for making a bad choice, the rest of your group shouldn't have to suffer because of it.

Been There
06-14-2004, 10:13 AM
Has anyone been refused entry this year? Where? How did they find your record? Was "rehabilitation" denied?

bander6
06-14-2004, 01:08 PM
We got turned back last week. One of our guys had a DUI 2 years ago. That year, as a random check on our way in, they checked our driver's licenses. His flagged, but after a 45 minute meeting at the border, he paid $200C/$135A, filled out some paperwork and was allowed to proceed. He was given more paperwork and told to read it and send in the application before he returned. He didn't read it or fill out the papers, but he figured he could just cross the border by paying the $135 again. NOPE! After an hour's wait this year, she finally got around to getting to us and got real snotty with him, saying things like "What have you been doing the last 2 years?" "Why didn't you read this stuff?" "What did you think you were trying to pull?" (All things we were thinking, too, but he's our buddy so we couldn't say anything) She told him if he proceeded into Canada there would be a warrant issued for his arrest, and he probably won't be allowed re-entry for 5 years after his infraction. She said we could go back to the US, drop him off, then reapply for entrance. Then she stopped traffic going south, and watched us all the way back across the bridge at Ft. Francis. Then we had to deal with the US guys, too. They started looking in our cupboards and bins on our motorhome. We explained we had only been out of the country for an hour, and why. They stopped searching then, and one of the guys commented about it being BS that we had to get turned back. He said if the US had to stop all the Canadians coming to the US that had DUI's the line would stretch half way to Dryden. Anyway, it turns out we caught the last 2 walleyes in Minnesota, on Wye lake in the arrowhead. Also, make sure your signature and name are CLEARLY READABLE on your driver's license. One guy had a problem with that, too.
Hope you all have better luck than we did.

Been There
06-14-2004, 01:39 PM
Thanks for the info What time of day did you try and cross? Did they ask for ID or drivers license? Was it a customs agent or immigration agent that asked for ID?

Been There
06-14-2004, 01:47 PM
How old was your buddies infraction when they let him thru 2 years ago?

onewayticket
06-14-2004, 02:28 PM
Simply have a bus or taxi cab on standby, make sure Mr.DUI is drunk out of his mind, not driving of course, whenyou get to the check point, be curtious and if they ask Mr DUI does he have any infractions, have him yak all over the officer, and tell them he has the flu. trust me they will not pursue the issue any further.

Good Idea
06-14-2004, 02:33 PM
Well that goes without saying. Any idea why they wanted to check your ID's

Canadian Guy
06-14-2004, 04:59 PM
Rules are rules weher you agree with them or not. It's not your country. A lot of my buddies can't visit yours because of recreational drug convictions 15 years ago when they were kids. One guy lied about a drug conviction and had false ID trying to go to a party in International Falls. He got caught, his car was impounded and sold. Our rules are tame compared to yours.

Canadian Guy
06-14-2004, 05:02 PM
Oh..The US guards words when they found his real wallet under the seat was...."Boy you just made my day". This buddy has about 50% native blood in him........

Trailerguy
06-14-2004, 06:47 PM
[font color=green size=3][b]Gee, false ID, now why would that make his day? And being a native should make it all OK right? Want some cheese with that whine?

zpeters73
06-15-2004, 09:43 AM
This scenario at the border some of you are describing really puzzles me. I just returned from a trip to Canada and after a few quick questions about where we were from, where we were headed, what we had with us (a few cases of beer and bottle of vodka), and whether we had brought our own bait, the guy just waived us ahead without even asking for ID of any kind, asking to look through the vehicle, or asking us to get out of the vehicle. Perhaps we were lucky to not have to deal with such a hassle, but as I recall, every time we have gone to Canada the circumstances have been similar. As a rule, I have been told that you should be polite and friendly, take off your sunglasses, turn off the radio, and answer all questions without volunteering extra information.

Just as an editorial aside, it seems to me that those in charge of permitting entry into the country ought to take a stiff shot of realism. Without basing my theory on any empirical evidence, it isn't a stretch to suggest that the thousands who head north every year to catch fish have a positive effect on Canada's economy. Bearing in mind that a DUI conviction is not all that uncommon among average citizens living in the states (including the "leader of the free world" G.W. Bush), it is of some curiosity to me that the resistence at the border has not been softened in order to grease the proverbial wheels of commerce. Perhaps this $200 border fee that was mentioned is their answer. In any event, I do not write this out of criticism to the Canadian government or to suggest that DUI is not a serious matter, but rather to suggest that, pragmatically speaking, fishermen are not generally hardened criminals, but often times carry lots of spending money when they vacation up north. It hardly seems like these are the people you want to keep out.

Wooglin
06-15-2004, 10:00 AM
Well said. We were also told to answer all questions loudly/clearly, no beating around the bush, take off your hat/sunglasses, don't lie about bring alcohol/tobacco and don't go overboard in answering questions. They don't want to chit-chat, they want their answers and thats about it. If you are courterous, they'll probably let you just go on - unless you are the randomly picked person to search.

I have been to Mexico four times, as you go into Mexico you have to hit a button. If the green light goes on, you are free to enter the country. If red goes on, you get a full search of your luggage prior to entrance. This is similar to entering Canda - if they randomly choose you, oh well...you gotta deal with it. This is what North America does as a procedure to monitor who is entering their countries - I am more than happy to oblige by their rules, if it makes the US/Canada/Mexico a safer place.

As for DUI's -, hey, its the law....its another thing you just have to remember when you are at your pals house, slamming Milwaukees Best Light playing poker, when you have a Lac Seul trip planned in 3 months.

>This scenario at the border some of you are describing really
>puzzles me. I just returned from a trip to Canada and after a
>few quick questions about where we were from, where we were
>headed, what we had with us (a few cases of beer and bottle of
>vodka), and whether we had brought our own bait, the guy just
>waived us ahead without even asking for ID of any kind, asking
>to look through the vehicle, or asking us to get out of the
>vehicle. Perhaps we were lucky to not have to deal with such
>a hassle, but as I recall, every time we have gone to Canada
>the circumstances have been similar. As a rule, I have been
>told that you should be polite and friendly, take off your
>sunglasses, turn off the radio, and answer all questions
>without volunteering extra information.

Been There
06-15-2004, 11:08 AM
10-4 I guess they are right alchol does cloud ones judgement. As my wife is found of saying "What were you thinkin about"

idapaul
06-15-2004, 12:49 PM
seems to me the 200 is to grease the proverbiable wheels of government. or as the us coast guard used to say just one seed is all we need to make you bleed.

Bander6
06-15-2004, 08:54 PM
When our buddy got his DUI in 2002, I think it was in March. We crossed the border in early June. Again this year, we were crossing the border around 10AM Friday, June 4th. They asked for our driver's licenses both times. Made it sound like it was just routine. 2 of our guys have been crossing at IF/FF for about the last 25 or so years. They have been crossing with this vehicle for about the last 16 years. I've been crossing with them for the last 12 years. We have been asked for driver license a couple times in that time span, pulled in and looked through a few times. Nothing really different each and every time. I suspect this post-9/11 era is the real culprit.
We're not bitter, just sad & fishless. Hope this helps.

Bander6
06-15-2004, 08:54 PM
When our buddy got his DUI in 2002, I think it was in March. We crossed the border in early June. Again this year, we were crossing the border around 10AM Friday, June 4th. They asked for our driver's licenses both times. Made it sound like it was just routine. 2 of our guys have been crossing at IF/FF for about the last 25 or so years. They have been crossing with this vehicle for about the last 16 years. I've been crossing with them for the last 12 years. We have been asked for driver license a couple times in that time span, pulled in and looked through a few times. Nothing really different each and every time. I suspect this post-9/11 era is the real culprit.
We're not bitter, just sad & fishless. Hope this helps.

Been There
06-16-2004, 07:50 AM
Thanks I've been going up for several years and been searched a time or two but they have never requested my license. Thanks for the info Good Luck on future trips

Been There
06-16-2004, 07:50 AM
Thanks I've been going up for several years and been searched a time or two but they have never requested my license. Thanks for the info Good Luck on future trips