: Bringing wild game into Ontario

Hammerhead Herb
02-07-2007, 08:59 PM
We are starting to set up the menu for this years trip. One of the guys has had success pheasant hunting; we are thinking about bringing some of that pheasant meat up to Canada for one of our lunches (pheasant breasts on the grill).

Anyone know what the rules are for bringing wild game meat (pheasant) across the US/Canadian border

v-bay gord
02-07-2007, 10:31 PM
Looks like chicken to me.

Hammerhead Herb
02-07-2007, 10:35 PM
LOL

prov1900
02-07-2007, 11:33 PM
Deer is supposed to be a big negative. Never been asked about it at the border.

v-bay gord
02-08-2007, 09:49 AM
Seriously though, I did bring some pheasant back into Ontario this past November. They did ask me where I had been...pheasant hunting...and what I was bringing back....pheasants. They didn't ask to see them. My conclusion is that I would not volunteer the info but if asked directly (do you have any wild game?) I would say I had some pheasant breasts. Not a big deal....and I don't think it's a question you would hear very often. Perhaps bring along the appropriate licence that allows you to have the birds, just to be on the safe side.

retire55
02-08-2007, 11:41 AM
From a cursory look at the rules, there doesn't appear to be restrictions on bringing game meat into Canada on your trip. However, to ascertain the facts for yourself, take a look at the following site:

http://www.cbsa-asfc.gc.ca/general/other_sites/laws-e.html

T Mac
02-08-2007, 01:01 PM
Herb...
I shoot quite a few pheasants. Enough so that we have gotten to where we can most of them. This makes great sandwich spread. So a couple of years ago, I brought some along on my annual trip to Tobin L., Sk.
I had no problem taking them in.
Unfortunately on account of weather conditions, we came home early and had not eaten it all. The American customs agent confiscated the two pint jars I had left.
He said if it was meat and we did not have proof of purchase.....we could not bring it across.

alanexpup
02-08-2007, 02:51 PM
Hi. tmac. My wife and I are planning our first trip to tobin this comming august. its rare to find anyone going there. How long have you been going there, you must know the place like the back of your hand. we will be staying at tobin lake resort. can you tell me anything about it. my email address is. beckyalan68@earthlink.net thanks a lot alan

T Mac
02-08-2007, 05:14 PM
Alan,
Been going there on and off for over 25 years. Mostly "on".
However, the past 14 years it has all been in ths fall.
Summer is different.
In fall we have been staying near Nipawin (MacSwaney's cabins) and only fished the river. From Francois Finlay Dam to just down from Eagle Nest.
In summer we used to stay at Tobin Lake Resort, and we fished the lake. From Eagle Nest to the dam. There are also a couple other resorts now. All the usual methods work. We mostly jigged in summer.
There are decent maps available. Fish structure and weedlines...just like anywhere. :) Bring plenty of grub tails if you are gonna jig.
The locals are very helpful with information there.

walleyeduran
02-10-2007, 09:38 AM
It all depends on the mood of the custom agents. Don't volunteer the infomation that you have wild game, but if they ask, be honest with them.

I know of a group that had their venison steaks and moose steaks taken away from them last spring. the irony of it is, the moose was killed in Ontario, money paid to get it back into the US, and then confiscated at the border when they tried to take it into Canada with them on a fishing trip.

Apparently the Canadian customs doesn't like their moose returning dead.

Yankee
02-10-2007, 12:10 PM
That is a fact. I have had a few frustrating experiences by power tripping agents. It is extremely difficult when they simply will not allow you to explain that they are wrong. One US agent of rank loudly berated his underling in front of me and her peers as she simply attempted to explain that he, the boss, was misunderstanding the situation and that I was perfectly legal. He cut her off at the knees.
Finally, I had to turn around and get the head Canadian agent to come to the American building and explain my case to this egomaniac on the US side. Once he allowed the situation to be explained by a Canadian person of rank, I was on my merry way. Then that jerk made the female agent come outside and tell me I was fine and I could go.

In my many trips back and forth, what few problems I have experienced were almost always with US agents when coming back into the states.

If you cross the border often, you learn to avoid some potential problems from experience. I had a problem at one crossing point with the Candian agent. The man acted like an anal jerk the first two times I went through there. From then on, until he was reassigned, I simply avoided that particular crossing on my way into Canada.