: Bait shops in Dryden or Vermilion bay

cougar
02-16-2007, 08:33 AM
Looking for baits shops in the Dryden or Vermilion bay area, any info would be appreceated.

Rocky

dewyg
02-16-2007, 09:19 AM
Bobby's in Vermillion. Village corner? in Vermillion. I was suprised at the lack of quality bait/tackle shops in Dryden, I live in Kenora and always like to check out tackle shops when I'm in different towns and Dryden has nothing in the way of tackle.

dragonfishing
02-16-2007, 01:17 PM
Great to hear that you will be in the area. I work as a guide in Sioux Lookout which is north east of Dryden and I make the hour 15 minute drive to Bobby's Corner in Vermillion Bay to get a lot of my tackle. They have the best selection of musky baits west of Kenora, and they have decent prices. They also have an extensive selection of bass baits, plastics, crankbaits, jigs, fillet knives and sunglasses and fishing reels.

P.S. I'm not getting paid to send you there, I just appreciate their good service and selection. You have a great season.

Skylane
02-27-2007, 04:58 AM
Dragonfishing, do you work with a lodge or are you independent?

audrey
03-21-2007, 10:48 PM
bait shops are all listed on www.pwtdryden.com
Just click on the bait, tackle marine dealers for all your information.

Rat
03-29-2007, 07:35 PM
I've been using Bobby's forever up there. Any kind of tackle you could imagine.

dragonfishing
04-02-2007, 09:30 AM
I work for Anderson's Lodge in Sioux Lookout. Looking forward to another great season on the water. Just got back from the Northwest Sports Show in Minneapolis. Hit up Cabela's in Rogers, and Gander Mountain on the way home. Couldn't pass up Thorne Bro's either. They were very helpful, even got a discount.

Have a great one!

Bad dog
06-04-2011, 07:24 AM
I was in Dryden last week of May and there is a great new tackle shop between the beer store and liquor store it's called QSL Tackle
lots of stock, good prices, and live bait.
Awesome tackle shop:grin:

NARDA 1
06-04-2011, 12:23 PM
Bobby's in Vermillion. Village corner? in Vermillion. I was suprised at the lack of quality bait/tackle shops in Dryden, I live in Kenora and always like to check out tackle shops when I'm in different towns and Dryden has nothing in the way of tackle.

Village Corner burned down last September and has not reopened.

Skywagon
06-04-2011, 01:02 PM
Bad dog, I have to call you on that one. What is your relationship to the shop? QSL "awesome", I don't think so, there is not that much there. It is always pathetic when people get on here incogneto and pump their lodge or business.

The shop with the most tackle in the area is at Vermilion Bay.

Blue Lk
06-04-2011, 02:43 PM
Bad dog, I have to call you on that one. What is your relationship to the shop? QSL "awesome", I don't think so, there is not that much there. It is always pathetic when people get on here incogneto and pump their lodge or business.

The shop with the most tackle in the area is at Vermilion Bay.

I agree 100%

Bad dog
06-04-2011, 05:55 PM
Skywagon, Sounds like you're pumpin Bros.

NWwalleye
06-04-2011, 08:33 PM
Bobby's Sport Shop !!!!

None better ..............:cheers:

Golden Eagle
06-04-2011, 09:12 PM
I have better prices in my garage and I'm nicer than Allan.

Skywagon
06-05-2011, 05:54 AM
Golden Eagle,
As you know, i'm not promoting that business, I agree on both counts, but they still have more tackle than anywhere in Dryden and probably even more than your garage. As far as prices, bend over, it's Canada, the economics of scale, or lack of and we don't even want to talk about taxes.

Did they let you back in the US, or are you still up here in God's country? If you are running a blue light special on your garage sale, bring me some jigs when you come back up this summer. I don't need any of those huge lures you use, with all the tooth marks.

Golden Eagle
06-05-2011, 08:04 AM
I don't sell from my garage, just collect and collect and collect tackle.

My first stop at Bobby's Corner was August 1972. Our party of 8 bought lots. We were given free samples of Twister Tails and jigs. That seemed to work out okay. One of our guys fell for the double or nothing offer and ended up paying well above retail.

Skywagon, I arrived at Little Vermilion Lake May 13 and left May 28. Those 15 days don't count against me.

One guy was traveling with me May 13 and entered Bobby's alone to buy his 2011 fishing license. 10 minutes later he came back to the van and requested I join him inside so I could prevent a fight. I explained the whole situation to him on the ride up Red Lake Road.

NWwalleye
06-05-2011, 08:16 AM
Fight ????

I agree, Alan can come across as an "A" hole when you first meet him.
It's all an act he puts on ..
I think the first time he did it, the guy's thought it was great !!! Now, it is a habit for him ..

GIVE IT BACK TO HIM !!! He likes it when you do .. Shuts him up and slows down the Alan wisdom , when you do ..

Outside of the Shop life he is a very different person ..

v-bay gord
06-05-2011, 08:56 AM
I like Alan. He is a character but that is his "Bobby's persona". I'm sure their are those that can't take it....but overall I think it is a reason for their success in business. As far as price, well when you need something they usually have it, and that is worth something to me.

Thirty or more years ago I stopped at the original Bobby's store and borrowed $30 off of Bobby (Alan was there too) so I could take my date to the Bayview Hotel for a few beers. Those two old grouch's were happy to help me out......I've been a Bobby's fan ever since.

Skywagon
06-05-2011, 10:47 AM
Those are the types of things that mean a lot and are never forgotten. You would never pull that off at Walmart.

NARDA 1
06-06-2011, 06:26 AM
I like Alan. He is a character but that is his "Bobby's persona". I'm sure their are those that can't take it....but overall I think it is a reason for their success in business. As far as price, well when you need something they usually have it, and that is worth something to me.

Thirty or more years ago I stopped at the original Bobby's store and borrowed $30 off of Bobby (Alan was there too) so I could take my date to the Bayview Hotel for a few beers. Those two old grouch's were happy to help me out......I've been a Bobby's fan ever since.

You took her to the Bayview Motel for a couple of beers???????? I know, that's your story and your stickin to it...... lol

v-bay gord
06-06-2011, 07:00 AM
No the Bayview HOTEL.......not motel. At that time I had my own "pad" above the boathouse at North Shore Lodge.......ahh, yes, fond memories! Life was so much simpler back then. The anticipation at the beginning of the season when the new waitresses would arrive............:)!!!

Blue Fin
06-06-2011, 12:46 PM
So the bait shop on the corner in Vermillion Bay burned down? We stop there every year on our way to Pakwash/Gull Rock to get something. I guess we will have to change our routine if they didn't rebuild. Any story behind what happened?

NWwalleye
06-07-2011, 09:39 AM
Yes, burned down .. Not opening anytime soon ..

A routine change is in order ...

crappiecat
07-19-2012, 10:03 PM
Looking for a long green handle skillet used by fishing guides for shore lunches.

davenathe
07-20-2012, 07:10 AM
How about something on topic...

What are the bait shops in Dryden? How is the quality of crawlers right now?

wallydave
07-20-2012, 08:19 PM
Dave if your heading North on the 105 you could stop at 4 Seasons in Ear Falls. Or bring crawlers with you if they are in bedding not dirt.