: Wow, we're getting a lot of Rain!!

Mac
04-07-2001, 12:38 AM
Got almost 2" of rain at Watertown, SD in the last 6 hours (as of 3:30 am). That ought to guarantee a runoff into all our "new" lakes on top of all that snow. Now just so we don't get a bad flood.

Terry/JNR
04-07-2001, 04:56 AM
We're getting hit here in northern WI, too. I'm hoping for some normal high water, not severe flooding but, we need it to clean out the rivers from the last several years of low water. Clean the sediment off the spawning beds and open up some of the river mouths again. A couple we used to be able to get into from the big lake are filled in and most of the smaller ones are just trickles. The low spring water levels have hurt our spawning the last couple of years.

smiley
04-07-2001, 05:20 AM
It rained pretty good here last night too. We really don't need it either. They have already blocked off the roads to a town near by and the river by my house is too full the way it is. Lightening hit close last night. The thunder that followed was so loud that it knocked stuff off our walls.
NO MORE RAIN!!
Have a great day.
Lisa

Backwater Eddy
04-07-2001, 05:22 AM
NOT GOOD, We don't need to hear that here in Wahpeton.

The Red is on the rise fast.

Backwater Eddy

GaryA
04-07-2001, 05:57 AM
Mac I'm about 60 miles east of you and looking at the radar I see there's more heavy stuff moving up from the south. We definitely don't need another '97. About an 1 1/2" here overnight.

AquaMan
04-07-2001, 06:44 AM
I hear yar BE. The Minnesota River is rising fast. I have been watching the flow of deadwood all week and it has increased to one solid line of debris (Big 60' trees) mixed with the ice from up river. The Black Dog Power Plant has added sand bags all around it and has built a huge levee all the way around the the cooling ponds and the plant in anticipation of a big flood. The road will be under water this weekend.

However, all this rain means a faster melt on the lakes. Silver lining on this cloud. ;-)

AquaMan~~~~~~~~~~~~~

. --- "It all begins and ends at the water's edge"

Hawgeye
04-07-2001, 07:22 AM
I am in Fargo ND and have been fighting water in the basement since 5 this morning. It stopped for a little while but more is coming. I finally got ahead of it for now.

Last June I had $8k damage to my basement and am putting on the final touches of a long winter of remodeling my basement. That damage earlier was from sewer backup. This time it is coming in my window wells because there is still frost in the ground and it tends to run toward the house. RAIN PLEASE STOP! I Dont want to go through it again. (4th year of fighting water in the basement)

reddog
04-07-2001, 07:46 AM
Not so much rain here (Ia.) but heavy wind damage all over town. Tons of shingles flying all over, dumpsters spread across town. I lost the cover to my hot tub this morning, and it took a large section of my soffit out from underneath, and a recessed can. Needless to say , it broke the bulb, but I have yet to find any parts of it in the tub, Hopefully the wind drove the glass away before it could fall into the water. If not, its gonna be a long drawn out deal to drain, clean and refill. Had white caps blowing across tha hot tub. Blew enough water out of the tub that it wouldnt run anymore. I finally went and picked the top up from the neighbors yard, and got it put back on with the help of a cordless screwdriver and some nylon tie downs. I was heading to Chamberlain last nite with the motor home, but decided that I didnt want to drive in the wind, so that was a good decision. I met a couple boats headed that way regardless of the weather, and can only wonder how rough the weather and water is out there. Maybe just a day trip for tomorrow.

Backwater Eddy
04-07-2001, 09:44 AM
LAST EDITED ON Apr-07-01 AT 11:03AM (CST)[p]Sand baggers are desperately needed at the Breckenridge MN fire hall.

Doran MN is in emendate danger of being flooded over!

If you can help with the flood fight please report to the Fire Hall ASAP!

http://nd.water.usgs.gov/public/realtime/data/current/s.05051300.gif

Thank You

high and dry
04-07-2001, 10:04 AM
not trying to be a smart #####,but why do people persist in living in a flood plane? especially after 97 in the red river valley! werent they gonna build some kind of special flood protection for that area? on a small scale,i have a creek across the road from my house and last night it was well within it's banks,this morn i cant tell where the main channel is. it is all flooded. amazing what one night can do.

Hawgeye
04-07-2001, 11:18 AM
Sorry but 99% of the Fargo area is not in the flood plain. It is a flat area for hundreds of miles so when we get excessive amount of rain in a short period of time, it tends to bring up the water table which causes seeping. The run off is slow. If you would so kindly buy me out, I would be happy to move as would about 150,000 other "idiots". Unless you have a clue about what you are commenting on, please keep your smarta$$ comments to yourself!

Mr T
04-07-2001, 12:41 PM
We sure could use some of that rain a few hunred miles west of you guys. Here in Montana, Fort Peck is down about 30 feet from a couple of years ago. We're hurting for water bad.

high and dry
04-07-2001, 12:44 PM
wow,we're thin skinned! so are you saying the real estate market is dead in fargo? nobody has a chance in ##### at selling their home and moving somewhere dry?

Backwater Eddy
04-07-2001, 01:40 PM
That has to be the most insensitive idiotic comment I have ever seen on a WC board!

I hope you never have a natural disaster befall you, and obviously you have not the intelligence, intestinal fortitude, nor the compassion to reach out and help your fellow man in need.

Backwater Eddy

Eyez
04-07-2001, 02:19 PM
Total here in Watertown overnight was 4 inches, and north of town here it was near 6 inches from what I keep hearing. The big sioux is supposed to crest in the next hour, and we're still doing pretty well, so it looks like most of us will make it ok here.

I hope you guys up north come out of this ok, I know we don't need another flood, and you need it even less. Good luck to all of you.

Eyez

Hawgeye
04-07-2001, 04:20 PM
Sorry about blowing up on a past post. I am a little thin skinned right now as are many others in this area. You frequently hear of flooding in this area but it seldom is houses and big $$$'s. The last 5 years are as wet as we have had on record so being in the flood plain is not an issue. I am sure that anyone with basements and receiving several inches of rain in a short period of time would experience some water problems. I guess I have lived through some disheartening experiences, not as much as many, but enough to be a little short tempered when someone makes comments and I apologize. I would rather be sitting in a boat on the water than using a pump to move out the water.

Backwater Eddy
04-08-2001, 06:45 AM
Hawgeye--I hope you didn't read my angry response as a jab at you, it was not, as it was intended for "High and Dry".

Apparently he does not understand that the bulk of ND's population and jobs are now near the Red River?

Backwater Eddy

Hawgeye
04-08-2001, 08:27 AM
BE,

No, I knew who it was intended for. I know better than to "blow" a fuse at some of the people on this board. I would say 90% of the posters are a great asset to this board and give great advice, comments and even constructive criticism. The 10% or less that feel they need to make statements showing that they are the kings of the world and that everyone else must be idiots are the ones that I need to just let slide off my back like that old mudhen in the duck slew.

I took your post as a defense of me since I know you are fighting a bad situation in Wahpeton. People dont realize that dikes do not solve flood problems. When you have 300 miles of flat valley, what do they think we are going to do, build a dike on each side of the river all the way up to Winnipeg?!?!!?

Good luck on your flood fighting efforts and thanks for the defense.