: Alumacraft Lunker 16

Bret N
12-15-1999, 10:56 AM
Have been looking at new boats and wondered what you guys think of the Lunker, particularly the base one w/ the bench seats. I think it's the same hull as the lunker ltd., but much more affordable on my limited budget. How will one of these perform w/ a 25 or 30 hp motor. Any reason to max out the hp on this boat (40 hp)? I would prefer to run a 25/30 as it will save me about a grand. I usually fish by myself or with one or two people at the most. I usually fish rivers or small lakes and the calmer side of mille lacs. Any input appreciated. Thanks Bret.

Steve (IA)
12-15-1999, 02:37 PM
Bret, I own a 9 year old 16' Lunker LTD. I run a 30hp Evinrude tiller off the back. I'm not quite 200 lbs... fishing alone -- no problem.... 2 of us fishing -- still no problem.... add a 3rd adult -- you better allow ALOT of time to get where you're going!!! If you offered to swap my 30hp for a 40hp at no charge -- I'd jump in a minute... but like you, I'm comfortable with the 30 and haven't found it limiting to my fishing. BTW, I often run 10 miles or better to get to my fishing. Steve (IA)

Bob H
12-15-1999, 06:38 PM
I have a 7 year old Lunker with a 25. It does OK with two people but with three good sized people it has difficulty getting on plane. I wish I would have gone with a 30! For the smaller lakes that I typically fish, that would be enough.

Mike
12-15-1999, 08:47 PM
Bret, I had a 30 Yamaha 3 cylinder on a Lund S-16 Deluxe (very similar in size) and I have a fishing buddy who also has a 30 Yamaha on Lund Rebel both of these boats are rated @ 40 but preformed well with the 30, however I have tried both of these boats with a 25 OMC (Johnson/Evinrude) and in both cases there was a big differance in performance (not nearly as much zip)

Lunker LTD
12-16-1999, 08:12 AM
Bret:

If I were you, I would look at a used boat, or a cheaper new boat that has pedestal seats and a floor. I think you'd be much happier than having to deal with those bench seats and the noisey, cold aluminum bottom. Plus you usually get bilge, livewell, and electric with the upgrade.

I bought a used 1992 Lunker V16 LTD with a 20 hp, trolling motor, depth finder, rod holder, etc for half the price of a new rig. Great fishing boat and the 20 hp pushed me along at about 19 mph. Problem was, the 20 hp just couldn't push the boat good enough to get past the spray and I would get soaked when the wind picked up. So last year I upgraded to a 40 hp with power trim. Now I run about 30-32 mph and the ride is pretty dry. If I get caught in 3-4 foot waves I am a lot safer than with the 20 hp.

I bet that if you looked around you could find a used lund/alumacraft/crestliner in great shape with a 30/40 hp motor, depth finder, trollin motor, and pedestal seats for $4-6K. These boats will last a long time.

Chill
12-16-1999, 03:52 PM
Well I have run a brandnew '98 v16 ltd. with a '98 30 Merc and it had adequate power. This boat had the pedestal seats and livewell, etc. The plain lunker will be lighter than this boat. So 30 hp will do it just fine, It will probably be fairly fast. Alumacraft boats are lighter than comparable boats of different makes, including lunds. This will give you more speed, but it won't handle as well in rough water.
If you want just a plain 16' v-hull boat, then I'd consider the Lund SSV-16. In my opinion, the overall fit and finish is nicer than the alumacraft. Will also be more durable. This boat paired up with a 30 would be a good match.

Flip South Dakota
12-16-1999, 04:03 PM
I have a 1980 Lunker Pro 16 footer. This was one of the first boats that Alumacraft set up with the Bass fishing dude in mind. Raised decks and seats instead of benches. The boat is 16' 4" long 72 wide at the beam and weights 515# light. I have a 1995 Johnson 3cyl 50 on it with tilt and trim. Top speed is 42 mph on a gps. It is a scary boat to operate at that speed. It runs better when its full of pepople and stuff. I really think that you might want to look at nothing more that a 40 on your rig may be even a 30 wouldn't be bad.

The boat it self has held up to everything I threw at it. Never had a problem, no leaks, and caught all kinds of fish out of her.

My boat was rated for a 70 BIA and I don't want to think how it would have operated had a stuck one of those on it.

GOOD LUCK

Bret N
12-16-1999, 04:36 PM
Thanks for all the input. I have been kicking back and forth the idea of new vs. near near but used boat for some time. I just got out of an old alumacraft runabout and am tired of owning someone else's problem, so I'm leaning towards new or just about new. The price of a lund ssv-16 w/ 4 bench seats is the same as the lunker 16 ($2000) w/ floor live well and two bench seats, so I'm leaning towards the lunker. I figure for about $5000 I can get into this package w/ 30 hp and trailer. Or I can use the same amount and get a bigger faster used boat. Either way, it will be a good year before I get another boat. Will make do w/ the 12' lund duck boat and 6 hp motor till then. Then again... I could just get a new 15 hp for that to bide time to save for what I really want... The obsessing never ends. Thanks guys. Bret

charles
12-17-1999, 04:11 AM
Flip,
I noticed your comment regarding the speed of your 50 Johnson and was wondering what pitch prop you are running? I have a similar rig with a '96 50 Merc tiller w/a 13 pitch ss prop and can only get about 33 mph? Any advice?

Flip South Dakota
12-17-1999, 11:05 AM
I was running a 17 inch pitch SST prop on her. Even wiht that prop on she ran on the high side of the RPM scale. The dia was 13 3/4 inch.

I really needed 3 people in the boat to be able to run her at WOT. I think I had way to much motor for the boat. By the way I have a new Lund 1700 Fisherman coming with a 115 Johnson. The dealer said I should be getting around 45 with that set up and a 19 inch prop.

On the Alumacraft with just me and my wife in her I had to stay around 1/2 throttle because the boat would just get scary. I was running one time at WOT and 3 people in caught a crosswind and did a 90 degree turn. It took about an hour to clean out the boat and about 3 days to get rid of the smell.

Other than that it ran great. I didn't have to work the motor to hard, I guess that was a good deal.

KEEP YOUR LINES TIGHT!!