: Where to mount compass in tiller boat?

Rather Be Lucky
02-11-2003, 09:49 PM
I would like some input from some "tiller" guys as to where to mount a compass for easy, out of the way, reading. I had one on the port side of my old boat (tiller) and it was hard to read being off to the side. Now my new boat (tiller) is really wide so would like to know what others do. Thanks in advance. Swede

David/MN
02-11-2003, 10:52 PM
Starboard side on the floor, that way I can look down at it, have it point forward (direction the boat is traveling), and because its on the floor in the dead space between the seat and the side storage its out of the way.

dw

Bigfish
02-11-2003, 11:00 PM
Compass - That's the extra I was forgetting on my new boat. I think that's everything.

Including the Blue holders.

Bigfish

Stormsearch
02-12-2003, 05:54 AM
You are going to want it mounted in front of you or on the starboard side. My first boat it sat on top of the small rod locker on the starboard side. My buddies boat has it installed off the seat pedestal in front of him. My current boat I have it vertically mounted directly in front of me on the drop between the bow and the aft part of the boat.

Eyecon
02-12-2003, 11:08 AM
Flush mount it on the starboard gunnel, its out of the way, protected and easy to see.

Catfishkiller
02-12-2003, 02:11 PM
If mounting in a lund I recommend mounting it in the nose along the vertical portion where the tackle box access and the troller power hookups are. This way you'll have a straight shot, or slightly elevated veiw in rough water (no sore neck from looking down). In addition, it will stay dry as you travel through waves on windy days. I've found with my 17 foot that anything located beyond halfway back in the boat takes a bath and becomes hard to focus; your depthfinder screen for instance...

My two bits...

BD

Ohio fisherman
02-12-2003, 03:21 PM
Hi Rather: In my tiller boat, there is no good place to mount a compass. For many years I have used a wrist compass. It works well and is always convenient. Can't remember where I bought it many years ago.

Good fishing, Ohio fisherman

slip_bobber
02-12-2003, 06:46 PM
I've done a couple on RAM mounts ahead of the driver on the floor. You can take it off when you don't need it.

GLO
02-13-2003, 09:00 PM
I'm not sure of all the nautical aspects of boat description, but most experts agree the compass must always be at the north end of your boat.

Dave
02-20-2003, 10:01 AM
I bought a Compass from Bass Pro thats made for Tiller boats. Its called a "Tillerman". Its made to sit on the port side and it gives the proper direction your boat is heading but the compass is facing you. Its really cool and is very practical.

Rather Be Lucky
02-20-2003, 03:57 PM
Dave, thanks for the headsup on the Tillerman compass. Guess I saw the compasses in the catalog but never read up on them, thinking they were normal compasses just different mfg. Will definately look into them.