: Carp minnows.

Wyo
03-09-2000, 10:33 PM
I have read several postings on shiner, and flathead minnows, I fish in utah and Idaho, and I have never heard of flatheads. Where are they found? Also, We have alot of carp in our rivers and reseviors, in the spring, we can trap alot of 2 to 3 in carp minnows, Would they be good bait for eye's? Also hows the best way to thread a live minnow onto a 1/4 oz jig?
Any help would be greatly appriciated!
Aaron

Toad
03-10-2000, 09:13 AM
Wyo,

Actually the "flathead" is a type of catfish, as in, flathead catfish. The minnow you're probably thinking of is the "fathead" minnow-- a very common species found throughout most of the lower US. It's one of the best walleye minnows you can use.

As far as carp minnows, I tend to believe that any forage species that's abundant enough in a given fishery is going to be keyed in on by walleyes. Depending on the region, walleyes have been known to feed on shad, shiners, ciscoes, alewives, smelt, madtoms, trout, suckers, bullheads, perch, crappies, crayfish, frogs and more! You get the idea.

If your yearling carp frequent some of the same areas as walleyes, all the better. The first question you might ask, though, might be, what forage species are most abundant in this fishery?
Either way, give live carp a try. They'll probably catch fish.

When casting a jig & minnow, most anglers hook the minnow under the chin, up through both lips and out in the middle of its lower crown. For vertical jigging, some folks prefer just running the hook into the minnow's mouth and lightly out the upper lip. Let us know how it goes.

-a friend called Toad

Fish-on
03-10-2000, 10:10 AM
I have to disagree with the above post on using carp for bait. First of all make sure you know your state laws about using them for bait. Secondly, be very careful about transporting them and using them. Carp have destroyed thousands of pristine fisheries in the US, and moving them from one body of water to another is probably illegal and certainly should be.

EAGLE EYES
03-10-2000, 10:12 AM
I think Toad answered you correctly. Just about any given species of minnow that is abundant at that time year in the water you're fishing, will be a target of eyes. Actually those species that are abundant will be the target for any fish higher on the food chain. Good luck! Give them Carp a try.

crash
03-10-2000, 10:39 AM
I agree that moving them from one lake to another can be bad, I don't know of any water that dosn't have regular carp though. Grass carp are real dangerous and sould never be transported. They will wipe a lake out real quick. 100 Grass Carp wiped out Lake Mahopac of all vegitation in one year. Most states allow you to use any fish caught in a lake to be used for bait IN THAT LAKE ONLY. But you better read up on it before you try it.

Gunga Din
03-10-2000, 10:47 AM
Fishing with live bait, other than worms, is illegal in Utah. Better make sure they're dead before using them here.

Frozen chubs are available in some tackle stores and work well.

Fish-On--I think Toad was referring only to "using" live carp minnows. He never mentioned transporting them.

Transporting any live fish from one body of water to another is also illegal in Utah (don't know about Idaho). These reg's are strictly enforced here, and violators should expect the maximum penalty.

wyo
03-10-2000, 11:08 AM
thanks to all the info. I understand the ramifications of fishing live bait thats forign to the water, however the lake I would be fishing is loaded with carp (to many). Also the lake is in Idaho, so Utah regulations wouldn't apply, However I need to check on the Idaho Regs, I don't want to break the law! Once again thanks to everyone!
Aaron

Toad
03-10-2000, 11:11 AM
Wyo & Fish-On,

I have to apologize. Didn't even occur to me about Utah and Idaho. You guys are right, of course-- any live minnow (whether you catch it directly from the fishery or not) is not legal in either state. As is the use of dead minnows in most waters.

You can still use your intuition about the presence of carp in your fishery to your advantage when it comes to catching fish, though.
Study the locational habits of both carp and walleye. In fisheries where the two co-exist, they absolutely cross paths during several portions of the season. Also, check stomach contents of a few walleyes you might catch & harvest.

Not always necessary to "match the hatch" in walleye fishing. During fall frog migrations, for instance, walleyes move shallow to feed on leoapard frogs. Over the years, however, we found that #13 Husky Rapalas or Sassy Shads seemed to consistently outproduced live frogs when we tried 'em (not exactly frog look-alikes)!
Here's to a great season to come.

-a friend called Toad