: Troll-master Installation

NPV
08-26-2003, 07:39 AM
Most of the feedback seems to be positive with this system so I am considering buying one for my 15 hp four-stroke Merc. The description in Cabelas website is that it installs "easily". Has anyone installed Troll-Master themselves and if so how "easily" was it installed? My expertise with outboard motors would be rated as low.

Thanks in advance for any feedback.

perchjerker
08-26-2003, 07:54 AM
I have one on the same motor. It was pretty easy. The only thing is if you have remote controls for the motor, you will need a "shift kit" that is not included or mentioned in the instructions. You will have to call Trollmaster and order it, you will get it very quickly.

I did a page on it on my website with a pic of the installation, heres the link. http://perchjerker0.tripod.com/trollmaster_remote_electronic_ki.htm

It should explain it pretty well for you.

bobberal
08-26-2003, 10:21 AM
The best addition to my boat except the GPS with lakemaster.

I have a 9.9 Yamaha and it works great. Keep tabs on the wiring, mine did originally pick up interference from my marine radio.

Al

The best all around fishing boat is owning two boats....

"We own the night"

Tom (mich)
08-26-2003, 10:36 AM
I am mechanically challenged to put it mildly. I have trouble making toast in the morning without reading the manual. I installed a Trollmaster on my Yamaha T8 in about two hours, and it may be the single best $200 investment I ever made in the boat. Granted, every time I turn it on both livewells run in reverse...(kidding)

JRD
08-26-2003, 01:09 PM
I installed one but have an issue. Once I get a speed set at say 2 mph the unit sometimes will not back off. When I hit idle it does not do anything. If I just adjust the idle down with the knob it still does not lower the rpm's.

Did you ever have this problem when you installed your system?

perchjerker
08-26-2003, 01:20 PM
Actually, I did have a problem like that. I found that the link arm for the shift kit was rubbing against the plastic arm for the remote controls. I had to file the plastic arm slightly. So I would look real close and see if the linkage is sticking. What I did was turn the unit on while the boat was sitting in the driveway (with the motor off). I set it and left it for 10 minutes or so and looked at the link while I turned the unit off, and saw the throttle plate wasnt backing off, but the trollmaster was moving. I could push the linkage back with my finger. After a few tries, I found out where it was hanging up. You might have the same problem if you have a Merc with the remote throttle. I dont know about other setups, though.

Red River
08-26-2003, 05:30 PM
To JRD, Check to make sure the power toggle switch has not been turned to the off position, your speed dial and idle toggle are inoperational if power is off. In between setting hooks, grabbing nets. rebaiting hooks my power swith is turned off at least 2 or 3 times every time I go out

NPV
08-27-2003, 07:32 PM
Thanks for the replies. I did purchase the Troll-master, those Cabelas bucks were burning a hole in my pocket. One more question, will I be able to still use the tiller on my kicker with the unit installed?

Thanks again for all the great responses!!!

perchjerker
08-27-2003, 07:34 PM
Yep. Wont intefere at all with it.

NPV
09-16-2003, 08:02 PM
Thanks again to all that posted, the troll-master unit was easy to install and works awesome. Easy to use and precise speed control. Just make sure you have some along with you to pull start your kicker and attach the tie bar and you will be set.

One small problem I have is that the wiring seems to interfere with my marine radio in my Ranger 620 as one post suggested also. Is there any way to fix this without re-running the wire?

Thanks in advance for any advice.

Prchjerker, if you respond - Thanks for your responses to my original post and Sorry to hear about your accident. My wife and two kids were in an accident this weekend also; luckily everyone was ok. I got the call from the north side of Green Island on Green Bay. The only good thing to come out of the experience is that now I can get a vehicle to match my Ranger since my Expedition was totaled.

perchjerker
09-17-2003, 04:21 AM
NPV-

Very sorry to hear about your accident.

Prchjerker is a different guy than me. We both have similar names, I have recieved a bunch of email from well meaning people about his accident, thinking it was me.

About your interference- I dont know any fix to it other than to re route the wiring. You might call trollmaster, they are very helpful.