Walleye Message Central

Walleye Message Central (https://www.walleyecentral.com/forums/index.php)
-   General Discussion (https://www.walleyecentral.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=5)
-   -   Cocked and locked or DAO? (https://www.walleyecentral.com/forums/showthread.php?t=23583)

Mark_AZ 02-04-2003 08:06 PM

Cocked and locked or DAO?

I just renewed my concealed carry permit here in AZ and I'm going retire my big, heavy, rusty (from sweat), worn-out Ruger P-89 9mm pistol.

I've vowed not to make the above mistakes again! My new gun will be compact, S.S. or composite, and 45 cal. (I feel I've outgrown the 9mm caliber and want to try the .45). I also want better reliability.

I've already narrowed my choices down to essentially 2 candidates. Here's where I need help. FYI I'm left handed.

Canidate #1.

Kimber/Colt .45 compact single action (SA). Relatively high end with factory slide/trigger job, nice grips, ambi safety, etc. What you would typically get for $800 over the counter.

Canidate #2.

Glock compact .45 Double action only (DAO). They all come the same way and cost a little over half price of the above gun (~$475).

My delima is this. I can work the (SA) Kimber/Colt mechanism like a Vegas dealer shuffles cards. I love it! The pistols feel graceful and point naturally in my hand.

The Glock is world renowned for reliability. And the price is the best deal in town. However the gun is ugly (IMO), I'm not as accurate with the DAO, and they don't feel "right". Also I don't trust the action. Sure it's great for people who know about the mechanism, but what if somebody with straying fingers handles it? My wife or neighbor might handle/move it and carelessly stroke the trigger and BOOM! No external safety and a very light DAO trigger pull, like ~4.5lbs.

Has anyone had this delima (Die hard 1911 guys) and chosen the Glock? Were you happy with the decision?

IMO the Glock seems VERY unforgiving (Yeah I know all guns are) to a novice like my wife who will invariably end up handling it. I'm pretty well trained and I do believe that the Glock is the safest pistol there is provided you keep your finger off the trigger. It's just that everyone doesn't know this and that scares me about owning one.

Please lend me your knowledge if you've had similar experiences? Also I don't want to argue the merits of .45 vs. 9mm vs .40. :)

Thanks

Mark

GJN 02-04-2003 08:23 PM

RE: Cocked and locked or DAO?

That's not a decision anyone can make for you. They are both excellent choices and both will get the job done. Pick the one YOU feel most comfortable with and the one you shoot the best. That being said,I prefer the Glock.

JohnF 02-04-2003 08:33 PM

I agree, pick the one that picks you. They are both fine weapons. Don't try to convince yourself that the Kimber isn't safe. It is a very good and time proven design.

Like GJN said: That being said, I prefer the Kimber.

(I own a Kimber and am left handed)

John
Flaherty

Mark_AZ 02-04-2003 08:43 PM

Yeah the Kimber/Colts sing in my hand. But the Glock price turns my head. My problem in a nutshell.

appleye 02-04-2003 08:47 PM

As I tell all the guys I work with and most of them carry Glocks (I'm a deputy sheriff). Life is to short to carry an ugly gun and all agree. Both are great guns, I still carry a 1911 I like the way it can point and shoot for me. I've shot a lot of glocks and they all shoot well, they just don't feel the same. Having seen the affects of most calibers on the market. The .45 is still the best for a one shot stop.

Scott Appley

1911 fan 02-04-2003 08:56 PM

i own both a 1911 1991a1 and a glock 27(.40 cal). althouth i'm more accurate and feel smoother with the colt when it came time for personal protection i chose the glock. the reasons, weight, c&l isn't a safe carry condition even if you're experienced, 10 round capacity. dao is some thing that you have to get used to and with time on the range you will. if you have a shop near you see if they will rent you a gun to shoot a league. kimber makes some very nice pistols but it sounds like you're somewhat skeptical. if i could make a suggestion, check out the para ordinance c6 .45 lda they came out with it about a year ago. 1911 controls in a compact frame 6+1 capacity. paraord.com

1911 fan 02-04-2003 08:59 PM

one last thing, don't let price be a factor in the carry gun that your going to depend on to save your life

Mark_AZ 02-04-2003 09:10 PM

That is the primary reason I want to s-can the Ruger. I can now afford to better equip myself. The Ruger always fed "Wal-mart" ammo just fine. But was always real picky about defensive HPs. The only ones it would feed consistently were Hydroshock 124grs. I had repeated jams with CorBon 115's. I've always worried it would get picky at the wrong time.

Democrat 02-05-2003 12:26 AM

Now I just know somebody's going to fry me for my old-fashioned ways, but I've got a Colt Lightweight Commander .45 with Pachmayr grips, beavertail, a fixed iron sight designed for quick draw, ambidextrous safety, and throated and ramped to feed hollowpoints (I like the Federal stuff). I have about a thousand bucks into this gun.

I trained to shoot equally well left or right handed because the bad guy probably won't honor my request to shoot at me only when I'm behind right-hand corners. I don't need a sight. If you shoot a guy far enough away that you have to aim, you're gonna have legal problems. I renew my permit but rarely carry, if I do it's chambered and c&l. You aren't going to have time to work the slide, and what good is an unloaded gun? If you're not comfortable with that, stay out of dark alleys.

If you put an ambidextrous safety on your gun like I did, it's a lot easier to accidentally rub it to the "off" position, so you better think about that gun all the time and not get absent-minded or you may need serious butt surgery. If you can't trust yourself or the people around you, forget the gun and get a big dog.

FROGMAN 02-05-2003 04:24 AM

If you sre strictly limited to the choices listed my vote goes to the Kiber/Colt .45! If you are still open for choices consider the Springfield Armory "Loaded" models. They come in blue or stainless, and several sizes. Some specifically with short barrels for concealed carry.

I carry the full sized "loaded" model and love they way it fits, feels, and most of all they way it put's em right where it counts!

You will get many different opinions, and most all will be valid. The point is I don't think you can go wrong with any of the .45's for carry except maybe one of the plain jane originals that are not too inducive for carry.

Good Luck!

Keith Segar
NPAA #260