Walleye Message Central

Walleye Message Central (https://www.walleyecentral.com/forums/index.php)
-   Canada (https://www.walleyecentral.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=7)
-   -   Fishing Lake Evans, Quebec via Americree (https://www.walleyecentral.com/forums/showthread.php?t=179364)

retire55 04-24-2011 03:01 PM

Fishing Lake Evans, Quebec via Americree

Two weeks ago, I received an invitation to participate in a 2012 fishing trip to Lake Evans in north western Quebec. I recently started my due diligence on Americree Ltd, an outfitter on the lake. While the primary target is trophy northern pike (catch and release only), the secondary target is walleye to help provide sustenance during the week. While I have read past posts on this site, there appears to nothing on this site about Lake Evans nor Americree since 2009.

I'm aware of the controversy between current principals and former principals associated with domain names. As well as sharing your experiences/recommendations with the lake, the fishing, the accommodations, the locations of the outpost camps, etc. I'd appreciate learning about your experiences/recommendations with Americree Ltd. as well, the new outfitter/owner since 2008.

I've sent PMs requesting information to a couple of guys who posted about this lake back in 2008 and 2009. Whether you post in response or send me a PM, all information will be much appreciated. Thanks in advance.

deputy dog 04-24-2011 06:18 PM

retire, pm sent!

phishfearme 04-25-2011 05:55 AM

crow bay

we did a trip to what was then north american bushman's crow bay camp on lac evans. not sure who runs it now. here's some thoughts off the top of my head:
- camp manager who's sole role as far as i can see is to drink all your beer and eat all your food
- this is a james bay lowlands lake. in some places you will only find 3-4 ft of water, flat featureless bottom for miles and miles - we thought our sounder was stuck but dipping a paddle in confirmed depth. this is NOT a canadian schield lake
- no water at the cabin, had to haul lake water about 1/4 mile
- you will get trophy pike just by trolling around but we found the walleye fishing sparse
- very expensive for what you get and a long drive to metagami
- outfitter forced us to put three guys in a boat - would not permit one guy in a boat except for another few hundred dollars
- at a spot called the "truck stop" all the trucks were gone but there was a huge school of 19inch whitefish that were fun to catch on practically anything
- some people love this lake - we did not rebook - much better deals and much better pike and walleye fishing in NW ontario.

good luck,
phish

retire55 04-25-2011 01:53 PM

[QUOTE=phishfearme;1298961]we did a trip to what was then north american bushman's crow bay camp on lac evans. not sure who runs it now. here's some thoughts off the top of my head:
- camp manager who's sole role as far as i can see is to drink all your beer and eat all your food
- this is a james bay lowlands lake. in some places you will only find 3-4 ft of water, flat featureless bottom for miles and miles - we thought our sounder was stuck but dipping a paddle in confirmed depth. this is NOT a canadian schield lake
- no water at the cabin, had to haul lake water about 1/4 mile
- you will get trophy pike just by trolling around but we found the walleye fishing sparse
- very expensive for what you get and a long drive to metagami
- outfitter forced us to put three guys in a boat - would not permit one guy in a boat except for another few hundred dollars
- at a spot called the "truck stop" all the trucks were gone but there was a huge school of 19inch whitefish that were fun to catch on practically anything
- some people love this lake - we did not rebook - much better deals and much better pike and walleye fishing in NW ontario.

good luck,
phish[/QUOTE]

Thanks for the feedback Phish. Besides your post above, I reread your comments posted back in 07 or 08. It was disappointing to read that your experience fishing walleye on Lake Evans (Crow Bay) was unsatisfactory. I would have thought that the walleye fishing would have been much better particularly where ever the rivers flow in. Like you, I'm much more used to fishing walleye in Canadian Shield lakes.

phishfearme 04-25-2011 06:25 PM

crow bay

the fact that the broadback river enters lac evan near the crow bay camp is why we chose crow bay over the other two camp options. although the situation looked excellent where the river comes in, walleye were few and far between. my buddy and i actually hauled a boat and motor above the falls to fish the untouched river there - we got one 22 inch walleye all day up there - an incredible bummer.

another river inlet - the teodat river which was a two hour + ride from the cabin did produce good numbers of walleye - but were all less than 18inches - usually MUCH less than 18inches.

some guys say they get large numbers of walleye - maybe when you only catch 2 or 3 large pike all day, catching a dozen walleye seems like great action. not by NW ontario standards though.

i just like the structure associated with schield lakes - we did trips to two other james bay lowlands lakes (kesagami and lower detour) and will not be going back anytime soon.

to each his own though.

phish

retire55 04-26-2011 02:27 PM

Just wanted to publicly say thanks to the guys who shared information via PMs. Very much appreciated guys.

5 of Diamonds 04-26-2011 05:17 PM

Bushland\Americree

Been to Crow Bay 2009 & 2010. Never had a bad/questionable experience w/ any of Bushlands caretakers/guides/managers ever. Never hauled water (there is a water pump @ the Cabin that feeds 2 sinks and a hot shower). Lund boats (w/ boat seats that have backs!), Yamaha 4-stroke motors (started the first time every time w/ no fuel mixing), Hummin' Birds and camp has Honda generator.

Caught and released trophy pike up to 48" @ the 'Truck Stop' on both trips. One can expect to catch and release on average 2-4 40" class Pike per day. I wouldn't tout this as a trophy Walleye destination as the largest we caught was 6#'s.

Our groups have always felt the trips were worth the money given our expectations of the water as well as the equipment @ our disposal.

HookNlines 04-29-2011 09:21 AM

i to had tried to do some reseach on this last year , but go nowhere. say there was some logging being done. 5 of diamonds; where do you fly from , understand it is not Matagami anymore, and what aircraft is used? how were the guides at Crow bay.

duffitdad 04-29-2011 07:07 PM

evans lake

sir - i fished evans 2 years ago and met the operator Jim Saari. Even though I was fishing a time period that is not my favorite (mid july) I caught very nice pike and walleye. The camp caretaker was VERY good and everything went very well. I am taking my sons back to evans this year the first week of june and my ONLY concern with the trip is the possible late ice out. I have no reservations about recommending Evans lake. Assuming we can get the ice out in time for my trip I am anticipating a wonderful experience for my sons and I.

vteye 04-30-2011 06:41 AM

Ice out

Ice out will close to your trip this spring. Quebec had a long cold winter. We had cold weather (snow) up until Easter this spring in VT.