Walleye Message Central

Walleye Message Central (https://www.walleyecentral.com/forums/index.php)
-   WC Bone Yard (https://www.walleyecentral.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=10)
-   -   Ethical dilema (https://www.walleyecentral.com/forums/showthread.php?t=191870)

Situation 03-02-2012 05:28 PM

Ethical dilema

I have a co-worker who I share an office space with. We are in very close proximity and work by each other 10 hours a day. I also know that he is WELL over his possession limits on fish (walleye, crappie and bluegill) and pheasants. I know he had over 5 times the legal possession limit on walleyes (100 fillets + in his freezer) and I suspect the same on panfish. Would you turn him in?? How do you deal with the situation of seeing him everyday in the office??

gee whiz 03-02-2012 05:36 PM

OK

This is going to be very interesting....

Fish-er-man 03-02-2012 05:38 PM

Wow thats a tough one in my eyes. Have you tried talking to him about his over harvesting? Maybe letting him know your feelings about it. Have you asked him how often he is eating these items and how fast they leave his freezer? Does he give fish to his kids or parents in different households? Just to stick my neck out on the chopping block I have always felt if someone is going to take extra game like a deer without a tag to put food on the table for there family I would never turn them in. But I'm guessing this is not the case here. Curious to hear other people's feelings/beliefs on this one.

Duckjunkie194 03-02-2012 05:53 PM

Thats a tough call. Ive never been lucky enough to keep that many fish to be over my possession. When I have fish, i like to eat them. Maybe just talk to him about it, and if all else fails, invite him over for a fish fry for the company. You supply the beer, he brings the fish!

law is law 03-02-2012 06:09 PM

Nothing worse than a thief and that is what he is. Turn him in. He will not know you are the one who did it. The poaching program leaves your name out of it.

ret461 03-02-2012 06:16 PM

Let him know straight out but very calm your feelings about the subject and that you and the people you fish with would contact the dnr if you saw the violations or ever fish with anyone who would violate the limits.
Let him know you dont want it to effect your working relationship but you dont want to hear about it anymore and would contact the dnr. If hes half way decient he will understand and respect you for it if he dont its his loss. IMHO
Had a similar incident in Alaska where a guy we brought with was putting a fish in the cooler which would have put him one over for that species. Asked what he was doing he said thats the one I needed from yesterday..
Told him in no uncertain terms we dont allow it and release the fish, explained what the rules are with us. He did join us the next year without any problems.

Ned 03-02-2012 06:20 PM

Is he taking more than his daily limit each day? Or he just fishes alot?

anon 03-02-2012 06:22 PM

IMHO - let it lie. As long as the fish are getting consumed, it is a victemless crime in my eyes. They are just a few fish....nobody got hurt - and if they are getting consumed, so be it. The lakes will continue making more fish......

Lundexp 03-02-2012 06:42 PM

4 Attachment(s)
That's a very tough one. . Is he just keeping them for himself or giving them away, is he eating them or stocking up for a fish fry? Is he catching more than his limit in a day or just fishes alot and doesn't eat or give them away fast enough?

jarhead 03-02-2012 06:51 PM

:popc1: