Walleye Message Central

Walleye Message Central (https://www.walleyecentral.com/forums/index.php)
-   Canada (https://www.walleyecentral.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=7)
-   -   NW Ontario ice out predictions?? (https://www.walleyecentral.com/forums/showthread.php?t=163125)

JayM5209 03-10-2010 10:27 AM

NW Ontario ice out predictions??

I know it's early yet, and I know that anything weather related is very unpredictable - especially after last spring/summer!! - but I'm wondering if any of our friends from NW Ontario have predictions on which week ice out will occur, given the depth of the snow pack, thickness of the ice, etc.? Also, given current snow and ice, any guesses as to what water levels will be on May 15 in the Vermilion Bay to Ear Falls area?

Enid Elizabeth 03-10-2010 12:16 PM

warm weather for March up here

Well as of March 10, there is lots of ice and so little snow. It is raining in Red Lake. This morning on the radio, MNR is talking a busy fire season because of so little snow. If this keeps up, ice out will be early.
BUT>>>>>> from experience I know that ice depends on what happens from here....I'll try to keep you up to date. I write a [URL="http://viking-island.blogspot.com/"]blog[/URL] and at this time of year I'm thinking fishing and ice out...so I'll post pictures from Red Lake.

Golden Eagle 03-10-2010 12:32 PM

There's plenty of time to make more ice. I'll be there May 13.

2746 03-10-2010 01:31 PM

We have fished opening week for many years, first at Eagle and more recently Gullrock. After a couple of close calls with the ice in the last 2-3 years we finally moved our date to the second week of the season. That's probably enough to get the ice out early this year. :)

BenBeattie 03-10-2010 01:34 PM

At this rate ice out will be early... especially compared to the last couple seasons. But, I still don't think winter is over yet.

Like elizabeth said, lots of ice and little snow. Feels like spring here this week in Sioux Lookout.

Glenman12 03-10-2010 01:42 PM

Elizabeth

Do you do the blog for Viking Island Lodge?

Outfitter17 03-10-2010 06:18 PM

I was just out on Lower Manitou Lake today and there is about 3" of slushy snow and standing water everywhere, some places its 2" of water some 7-8". I saw 2 small holes in the ice where water was running down, in a day or two they will be 2-3' in diameter. I am guessing the lake will pop in 4-5 days and it will be great ice fishing with ATV's for another 2 weeks, but then the shorelines will start to break away and we will be done.
I know it's early, but at this rate I am guessing April 22-25 range.

Skywagon 03-10-2010 07:13 PM

I will echo what the others have said. I went out on the lake this afternoon with the 4-wheeler, instead of the snow machine, because of all the water on the ice. There was probably 4 inches of water around our ice shack. We had talked about going to Upper Manitou trout fishing tomorrow, but until the water gets off the ice, it is just not worth it. On our home lake (shallower lake), we are about maxed out on the ice auger, but the trout lakes probably have 6 inches less ice. Unusually warm weather, it sure looks like it could be an early ice out, but who knows.

Connie, I heard it got to 70 down at the farm today, you planting potatoes in TN yet?

Golden Eagle 03-10-2010 07:28 PM

Did my first planting Monday. Also spread 34-0-0 on my lawn, along with grub killer.

Sap is starting to run. In everything except the Golden Eagle.

SeulAreaWalleye 03-11-2010 07:36 AM

I have seen this type of winter before. My prediction is for near the end of April this year, earlier in area's to the south. Ice fishing yesterday north of Sioux Lookout showed some of the creeks opening up and flowing. The weight of the rain water, and melting snow was draining through a few holes in the ice. Still, there is plenty of thick ice to go. It is softer cutting than before, so if this trend of weather continues I will be staying off the ice sooner than walleye close in April.
I don't think we'll be fishing during walleye spawn this year.