Walleye Message Central

Walleye Message Central (https://www.walleyecentral.com/forums/index.php)
-   Ice Fishing (https://www.walleyecentral.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=22)
-   -   Vexilar or Marcum (https://www.walleyecentral.com/forums/showthread.php?t=144677)

WalleyeGuy17 11-11-2007 08:59 PM

Vexilar or Marcum

I am trying to decide which flasher to buy. It is between the Vexilar FL20 and the Marcum LX3tc. I have never owned a flasher before and would like some of your input on which unit to buy. So far talking to a couple salesmen I am leaning towards the Marcum but want info from people that aren't trying to make a sale. Thanks!

Catman59 11-12-2007 05:52 AM

RE: Vexilar or Marcum

That is up to you and this will draw a lot of "Ford vs Chevy"
arguements. I personally have 2 Vexilars and that is all that I will ever use. I have had great luck with them and they do an awesome job. They have been around for a loong time and service and quality is #1.

bea3bri 11-12-2007 06:15 PM

well i both flashers will help you see what is below you but i would say if you try the vexilar and then use the marcum you will not got back to a vexilar. you will just have to try it out for yourself, possibly rent one for a day if you get a chance or use one if a freind has one, i have used the lx-3 for about five years now and had no trouble with it at all and just purchased the lx-5 for this year.

WalleyeGuy17 11-12-2007 09:20 PM

Just to add to what I'm looking for in the unit. I usually fish Lake Winnebago and the surrounding lakes (anywhere from 8 to 20ft). I want the flasher to work in the shallow water and thats why the vexilar's low output setting is starting to become more appealing.

Box 11-13-2007 06:11 AM

I have a Marcum LX5. Basically, you don't need the low power mode on the Marcum because it works fine as it is. If you do some research on it, you will find the Vex has it because of some engineering design decisions they made.

With that said, and you know my current bias, I was in the same boat last year. Looking at them all and researching. I had used the FL18 before, and loved it. But the LX5 is basically the top dawg right now. Here is a big advantage the LX5 has over the FL18 or FL20 - you can move the zoom anywhere in the water column you want.

Also, you may hear people say that Vex and Marcum can't fish near each other or they will drown each other out. Not true. We fish with LX5 and buddies FL8 and FL20 in same shack. The FL8 has a bit of trouble, but we can set them so they don't interfere. If I wanted, I could drown them out with the more power, but I don't. So they can get along just fine down close holes.

Another thing to look at is the case. I like the padded case the Marcums have over the "bucket" cases the Vex's have, but some may like the Vex cases better.

It is a Ford v. Chevy thing for sure, as they all will work great. Just depends on how much you want to spend and what features you like better. But you CAN use the Marcum in shallow water or weedy water just fine without the "feature" of low power mode.

Also, I did have to send mine in as the brushes were bad - John the tech said he can't imagine why they were bad in just one year - but I sent it out on a Tuesday, and it was back in hands that Friday. So service, should you need it, is good. I didn't like that I needed to send it in but glad they took care of it so quickly.

Good luck, enjoy whatever.
-Box

none 11-13-2007 07:29 PM

Here's my question, is it worth the extra $$$$ to upgrade to the fl-20 or lx 5 to the the bottom zoom option?? What exactly do you gain by being able to zoom on the bottom?

Also, any comparisions on the transducer styles - floating vexilar vs the swivel arm of the marcum? The swivel arm seems a far more cumbersome than the vexilars.

Box 11-13-2007 08:23 PM

Until you use the zoom you won't really need it ;) after you use it you will always use it :)

Also, the Marcum lx3 and lx5 have zoom ANYWHERE not just bottom. Also two ranges of zoom, I believe the FL20 does as well, but only on the bottom (i.e. zooms on 5 feet or 10 feet).

The LX5 also has dual frequency transducer, the FL20 has it as an option. Is it needed? No, but nice to have. The dual transducers are big larger though.

As for the arm versus the floatie... You really don't need to position the arm over the hole, I just flop my cord out and let it hang in, the arm just sort of extends to support it, and folds back in easily - it basically is used to adjust the cord length to keep the xducer wherever you want it depth wise. Either way, arm or floatie, some people will always pull it out of hole and some people leave it there when landing a fish. I keep mine at the length so when walking to check holes, I just need to lower the whole unit a bit for it to hit the water but it is at a comfortable length -can do same with Vex.

The arm is really easier to use than it might seem, as you don't really "use it" as much as it just keeps the cord length where you want it.

I actually wanted an FL18 after using one the bottom zoom sold me, and I still think they are great. But when I started comparing and checking them all out, for everything I got in the LX5 it is just "more" and more flexible. One thing the FL20 has that is nice is that it can be dimmed (I believe it can be?...) The LX5 is nice and bright, and really crisp compared to others, but after staring at it for hours you tend to think, hmmmm, can we dim this sucker a bit ;)

My buddy who has FL20 is now thinking about getting the soft pack after seeing and using my LX5. So consider the case a bit in the whole picture. All of them are nice, and I am certainly no pro, but very glad I got what I did.

Good luck, sorry for being long winded.

Icefishingmaniac 11-13-2007 08:32 PM

The gain of zooming on the bottom is to see those fish that will hold very close(less than 6 in) to the bottom. Walleye and perch will commonly hold very tight to the bottom. I have the Vexilar FL-18 and have not tried a Marcum with the zoom at any level although I can see its use.

Icefishingmaniac

none 11-14-2007 06:19 AM

I'm defenitly leaning towards the marcum now.... Just one final question. Are you better off having dual frequency transducer (9 and 19 degree) or having the zoom feature with a 20 degree cone?

I realize the lx - 5 is the best of both worlds, but the lx 3 is at the top of my price range.

Box 11-14-2007 06:59 AM

I don't think the dual freq xducer is needed. Just nice, not necessary. Make sure whatever you get, you shop around. I got my LX5 last year for $350, with price matching and a Gander coupon, and my buddy got his FL20 for $400 at another store.

Good luck with whatever you get.
-Box