Walleye Message Central

Walleye Message Central (https://www.walleyecentral.com/forums/index.php)
-   Canada (https://www.walleyecentral.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=7)
-   -   Anyone eat burbot/eelpout? (https://www.walleyecentral.com/forums/showthread.php?t=191665)

Ten Horse Johnson 02-28-2012 12:03 PM

Anyone eat burbot/eelpout?

Have caught a couple these on fly in lakes, mostly small ones. I understand they are good eating. Are you allowed to eat them? Has anyone ever done this?

Mike Kansas 02-28-2012 12:25 PM

Yes, but I only feed them to the other guys on the trip.

FrankLeigh 02-28-2012 01:48 PM

ever eat burbot ?

[quote=Ten Horse Johnson;1400264]Have caught a couple these on fly in lakes, mostly small ones. I understand they are good eating. Are you allowed to eat them? Has anyone ever done this?[/quote]

These fish have a number of names, and are widely distributed in Ontario. We always used to call them ling. They are a freshwater cod,
We have caught them many times, through the ice, fishing deep water for lake trout and whitefish. There was one time that we decided to try one, so we built a fire on shore and roasted our fish over the fire. While it was edible, it was quite oily, like some ocean fish. The consensus was that it needed salt and a lot more beer. lol

2746 02-28-2012 01:54 PM

on our vacation travels in Michigan (upper pen.) we would see them advertised at some resturantes and bars and I think there they called them lawyers. Usually they were advertising a "feed" although we never tried any. Maybe someone from that neck of the woods could verify.

sault eyes 02-28-2012 02:24 PM

backstraps

I like the backstraps. The tail is usually full of dark meat. The loins are very tasty. They are a fresh water cod. Great beer battered. Here they are called Ling, Lush or Burbot. We get some big ones inland here upto 6 or 8lbs. If it is over cooked it can get rubbery. Another good way to cook the loins is to cut them in cubes and wrap them in bacon. You can pan fry them or BBQ it.

buuuuurboter 02-28-2012 03:18 PM

ugly

There just way to ugly to eat
can't get there cute face out of my mind
The only way I'd have to eat one is if i was in a plane wreck in the desert
and thankfully there not that abudant in the desert

Wade B AKA: Ruger2506 02-28-2012 03:35 PM

571 Attachment(s)
[QUOTE=Ten Horse Johnson;1400264]Have caught a couple these on fly in lakes, mostly small ones. I understand they are good eating. Are you allowed to eat them? Has anyone ever done this?[/QUOTE]

Eat them? Not on purpose.

Actually they are very good. You just have to get past the stink and the slime when cleaning them. There is a reason they are called the "poor mans lobster".

NMG 02-28-2012 03:38 PM

Yup! We used to catch them back home in BC. They are a freshwater cod and you can cook them like you would cod. We used to fillet them and deep fry in batter or pan fry in bread crumbs. Very tasty when cooked fresh. These fish would have normally eaten kokanee, which are landlocked Sockeye Salmon. I'm sure that would impact the flavour a bit.

The average size we would catch was 4-6 pounds but I did catch one that was around 12 while fishing for Lake Trout. Some of the lakes north of where I'm from they would catch them ice fishing in the mid to high 20's, which is HUGE for a burbot. Those fish were well over 40 inches long and had major girth, courtesy of the local whitefish population no doubt, LOL.

JayM5209 02-28-2012 03:45 PM

Here's an article about a possible MN state record burbot, from yesterday's Star Tribune.

[url]http://www.startribune.com/sports/outdoors/140403433.html#[/url]

Mark R 02-28-2012 04:03 PM

There is an eelpout festivale every year in Walker Mn quite a celebration. I tried deep fried pout once at the festival. It was OK I would eat them out of ice cold water but caught during the summer I'm not so sure.