Walleye Message Central

Walleye Message Central (https://www.walleyecentral.com/forums/index.php)
-   Electronics (https://www.walleyecentral.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=34)
-   -   Rewiring older boat (https://www.walleyecentral.com/forums/showthread.php?t=192392)

fishingfrenzy 03-12-2012 09:56 PM

Rewiring older boat

I have an older boat where I would like to add a new battery and install it in the front of the boat to take a load off of the starting battery. Right now I have a small box with fuses and on/off switches. The wiring to the battery is all separate; the lights, bilge, depthfinder, and livewell are all sent from the switch box and are each individually connected to the battery. To move the wiring up to the front (probably 7' from where the fuse panel is) would it be best to just extend that wiring up front, or could something like a positive and negative buss bar be used near the fuse panel to eliminate some wiring?

Thanks for any help!

nicko 03-13-2012 07:08 AM

I'd run a single pair to the new battery. Fuse it with a large in-line fuse and run back to your fuse panel. Much more convenient and safer. Just figure out your max old, pick wire gauge to exceed it and you should be fine.

Nick

Happy Camper 03-13-2012 07:34 AM

Maybe this will help [URL]http://forums.iboats.com/showthread.php?t=186986[/URL]
have a good day

REW 03-13-2012 08:17 AM

Fishing,
Nicko has it right except for one thing.
I never like to run ANY inline fuses. Issues both with fuses as well as fuse holders.

Rather take a heavy conductor, brass or similar plate and bolt it to the battery. Then, take a circuit breaker and bolt it to the conductor. Finally connect your wiring to the circuit breaker. Better to have the circuit breaker right at the battery where it will protect 100% of the wiring.

If you have any issues with any of the other wiring, you might just consider replacing your current fuse block and switches with an updated panel. Run your battery wires to the fuse and switch block and then run all accessories from the fuse/switch panel.

Unless you want the weight in the bow of the boat, add the trolling battery at the back of the boat where the hull will better take the weight. Then, run 4 gauge wires from the trolling motor battery to the area where you have the trolling motor installed and connect the wires to your trolling motor connector. Again, attach a heavy conductor to the + terminal of your trolling motor battery, then the circuit breaker, then the wire to your trolling motor connector - wherever you have your battery/ies installed.

Good luck
REW

jeffbilodeau 03-13-2012 09:31 AM

Wiring

1 Attachment(s)
I agree with REW. Inline fuses are trouble. I hate the ones on MK chargers. That aside....if you are going to do it...do it right. Spend a few bucks on good terminals and shrink wrap. Label your wires if you can or color code. Attached is a pic of some of the wiring I did on a full restore project. I'm a glorified electrician so this is an area near and dear. Install it like you might have to work on it someday or at least the next guy can figure it out. Neatness lends itself to an A1 install and what looks good nearly always works good. Good luck on your project!

REW 03-13-2012 09:44 AM

Jeff,
Excellent wiring.
REW

fishingfrenzy 03-13-2012 11:28 AM

Thanks much for the replies. Looks like I will leave the battery in the rear. For a new switch and fuse panel, any suggestions? Depthfinder, lights, bilge, livewell. Thanks!

jeffbilodeau 03-13-2012 03:21 PM

[QUOTE=fishingfrenzy;1406493]Thanks much for the replies. Looks like I will leave the battery in the rear. For a new switch and fuse panel, any suggestions? Depthfinder, lights, bilge, livewell. Thanks![/QUOTE]
Cabelas has a real good selection of fuse/switch panels. You could try Great Lakes Skipper too. They have used and overstock stuff that can work and they're cheap. I do suggest you use some type of plastic tubing or conduit for a wire chase. Leave an extra wire or string in it for future.

fishingfrenzy 03-14-2012 07:24 AM

Thanks again!

Hawker 03-14-2012 07:46 AM

[quote=jeffbilodeau;1406447]I agree with REW. Inline fuses are trouble. I hate the ones on MK chargers. That aside....if you are going to do it...do it right. Spend a few bucks on good terminals and shrink wrap. Label your wires if you can or color code. Attached is a pic of some of the wiring I did on a full restore project. I'm a glorified electrician so this is an area near and dear. Install it like you might have to work on it someday or at least the next guy can figure it out. Neatness lends itself to an A1 install and what looks good nearly always works good. Good luck on your project![/quote]

Very nice install Jeff! Clean, neat, well laid out and tagged very nicely!!