Walleye Message Central

Walleye Message Central (https://www.walleyecentral.com/forums/index.php)
-   General Discussion (https://www.walleyecentral.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=5)
-   -   Long road trip, motor cool down? (https://www.walleyecentral.com/forums/showthread.php?t=188397)

Lake Wisconsin 12-06-2011 11:29 AM

Long road trip, motor cool down?

I was in South Dakota this past weekend hunting pheasants and the trip was about 500 miles each way. The guy who I was riding with had a 2010 Ford F150 with a V8. After we arrived at our destination, he left the truck run for another 10 minutes or so. When I asked him why, his dealer said on any long rides, it is best to let the "motor cool down" prior to shutting off. Never heard of this before and was wondering if there is any merit to his process.

Thanks in advance.

Steven Pederson 12-06-2011 11:38 AM

[quote=Lake Wisconsin;1370887]I was in South Dakota this past weekend hunting pheasants and the trip was about 500 miles each way. The guy who I was riding with had a 2010 Ford F150 with a V8. After we arrived at our destination, he left the truck run for another 10 minutes or so. When I asked him why, his dealer said on any long rides, it is best to let the "motor cool down" prior to shutting off. Never heard of this before and was wondering if there is any merit to his process.

Thanks in advance.[/quote]

The only time i've heard of that is if the vehicle has a Turbo on it.... Aka Ecoboost. You may want to let a turbo cool off, so the oil doesn't bake in it. But I've never heard of it with a NA motor.

yarcraft91 12-06-2011 11:48 AM

Dealers say a lot of things, only some of which are true. If the cooldown period was necessary, it would be written into the owner's manual.

Wade B AKA: Ruger2506 12-06-2011 12:06 PM

571 Attachment(s)
Does this dealer own oil company stock? I've never heard of such a thing?

fetchwillie 12-06-2011 12:34 PM

Thanks for coming to South Dakota.

My diesel only runs if I have been pulling hard and my exhaust temp is above 350 degrees, if it's below, then it gets shut off.

PS I have it chiped, so I have the guages showing me all that stuff

Lake Wisconsin 12-06-2011 01:44 PM

Loaded heavy, 4 dogs, 3 full sized men, and enough hunting gear to outfit a small army. But I don't think the truck was working hard at all.

REW 12-07-2011 01:57 AM

In spite of the other comments, it is really not a bad idea to let any engine idle for a minute or a few minutes after a long hard run to cool down a bit.

It isn't absolutley necessary, but it certainly won't hurt anything.

REW

Duh 12-07-2011 05:07 AM

Of course it doesn't hurt to let it run REW, BUT it doesn't hurt to turn it off, so what's your point?

MK cant log 12-07-2011 07:07 AM

Unless it has a gas turbine jet engine with a required 3 minute cool down (think helicopter engine), the dealer is feeding someone a line of ... well, lets say an old wives tale.

I suppose if you've been running the engine at redline for a while and its overheated it wouldn't be a bad idea to bring it back to operating temp but most engines run at the same temp whether they're on the road or idling in the driveway. You can idle all day and its not going to cool down.

v-bay gord 12-07-2011 07:18 AM

.....but more importantly, how was the pheasant hunting?