Walleye Message Central

Walleye Message Central (https://www.walleyecentral.com/forums/index.php)
-   Tournament Message Board (https://www.walleyecentral.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=15)
-   -   How About a Walleye Club Program like FLW & Bass (https://www.walleyecentral.com/forums/showthread.php?t=132807)

hgmeyer 01-13-2006 11:26 AM

How About a Walleye Club Program like FLW & Bass

I have watched with interest the developing bass program from FLW. For a few years I was a "so-so" participant in a BASS affiliated Bass Club (I know I should be embarassed...its so easy). In all seriousness I enjoyed the "club" and the monthly tournaments...

I am thinking that it might be the right time to look at a way for walleye anglers to apply some of the same principles and procedures to establish clubs and affiliate with a national organization.

The old saying of "build it and they will come", might just apply.

If you fish the FLW League or Tour, you are already a member of FLW outdoors... So, it is sort of a small step to work out some affiliation rules, policies and procedures. I wonder if the FLW would be interested in harnessing all us independent walleye folks?

Juls_OH 01-13-2006 11:56 AM

RE: How About a Walleye Club Program like FLW & Bass

This was a story on BassFan.com this morning...
They are one step ahead of you HGM!

An End, And Beginning
Fed Presidents Vote,
Majority Take FLW Offer

Thursday, January 12, 2006

Photo: FLWOutdoors.com
Irwin Jacobs offered a proposal that included $15 million over 5 years.

Tradition and nostalgia weren't enough to save a relationship that had turned sour for many of the parties involved. So, with a new suitor camped on their doorstep, the BASS Federation state presidents voted last night (Wednesday) to leave BASS and embark on a new venture through an affiliation with FLW Outdoors.

The final tally was lopsided: Of the 46 presidents in attendance at the meetings in Celebration, Fla., 30 voted to sever ties with BASS, which launched the grassroots organization 35 years ago and had overseen it throughout its existence.

Only four were against the move and there were 14 abstentions, including Missouri and Montana, which apparently did not have representatives at the meetings.

The minority quartet consisted of the presidents from Texas, New Mexico, Colorado and the Canadian province of Ontario. The group that abstained did not have the authority from their membership to cast a vote at the meetings. But Robert Cartlidge, president of The Bass Federation Inc. (TBF Inc.), said he expects most of them to join the majority within the next 10 days.

The Federation consists of more than 35,000 members in the U.S. and abroad.

Problems Hashed Out

Cartlidge said the new agreement with FLW Outdoors chairman Irwin Jacobs will take effect immediately. Jacobs presented his 5-year, $15 million proposal to the presidents on Sunday, and Cartlidge said all major points of contention have been worked out to TBF's satisfaction (see FLW proposal below).

"Obviously there were some concerns, as there is in any business proposal, but so far every one we've had has been satisfied," Cartlidge said. "They've shown a willingness to be flexible and work with us as best as they can to make this a win-win situation for everybody."

He said the decision to leave BASS was a difficult one in light of the fact that the relationship had existed for 3 1/2 decades.

"My personal feeling was that we had to come down here and do whatever was best for the Federation, whatever that turned out to be," he said. "The presidents' vote clearly outlines what they think is the best thing for the organization, and they're excited about the opportunities that the Federation members have in front of them."

Jacobs was pleased with the outcome of the vote.

"Thirty to four, I'd call that a pretty good margin," he said. "But this isn't like some people think it is. I went down there to present them with an option – not to buy them or own them or tell them what to do. I told them they had more leverage and clout than they thought, and that we recognized that and we wanted to work with them to build this sport."

BASS Moving Forward

Jamie Wilkinson, BASS director of media services, said his organization's plans for the new "Federation Nation" will progress and that BASS hasn't given up on retaining a solid percentage of the current Federation membership.

"The ultimate decision will be reached by state Federations and bass-club members by March 1 (when the Federation Nation sign-up period begins)," he said. "We have gone to great lengths to explain our future plans and address any issues, and we remain open to continuing that dialogue. BASS will continue to serve its members to the fullest possible extent."

Take Your Pick

After the weekend meeting with Jacobs, the presidents met with BASS officials on Monday and Tuesday to hear BASS's Federation Nation plan. Among other things, it would do away with the longstanding divisional tournaments and send state Federation champions directly to the National Championship tournament.

It would also create a club circuit in which each state would send six teams of six anglers each to one of 10 regional events around the country.

Top teams from the regionals would advance to the BASS Federation Nation Bass Club World Championship, where each member of the 1st-place team would receive a fully-rigged Triton boat. The Federation would also retain its six annual berths in the Bassmaster Classic.

Photo: The Bass Federation Inc.
The Bass Federation Inc. president Robert Cartlidge feels a majority of the 14 abstentions will eventually vote for the FLW Outdoors proposal.

Several presidents to whom BassFan spoke liked some aspects of the Federation Nation plan. Their primary concern was how to fund trips for 36 anglers to regional events. In the past, each Federation had sent 12 anglers to divisional events.

Highlights of the FLW proposal, as Cartlidge described them in a current BassFan Radio interview with Terry Brown, include more spots in national-level events (the BFL All-American and Forrest L. Wood Cup) than BASS had offered, and a "Live The Dream" package that consists of paid entry fees into FLW Tour events and the use of a wrapped boat and truck for a year for one Federation angler. Travel expenses would also be included.

Both the BASS and FLW proposals include funds for conservation and youth programs.

The Presidents Speak

Following are excerpts from interviews with Federation presidents conducted day. The proposal for which they voted is in parentheses.

Mike Hoffman, Wisconsin (FLW) – "The general atmosphere from BASS to us has traditionally been more than a partnership – it was really more like a family. But the last few years it hasn't been that way.

"Most of the current administration, and there are some exceptions, seem to have wanted to make it a client-customer relationship. I just didn't think we needed to go on like that. We want to be a family again, one where all of the members are included and can feel proud to belong to the organization.

"We don't want any more politics. Politics destroyed this thing, and it didn't have to be that way. This should be about fishing and it should be about fun."

Jay McMillian, Colorado (BASS) – "Colorado has always been well-supported by BASS, and that's the reason I voted the way I did. We've had good communication with them for the most part. You have to expect that with any large corporation, you have to negotiate a deal in good faith. I think BASS has done that."

Larry Lewis, Georgia (FLW) – "I've been president for over 30 years and I've never had to go through anything as tough as this. For a long time I fought tooth-and-nail for BASS, but after these last 3 years, I had to do what was best for Georgia, and they (the Georgia Federation members) have given me 100% approval to make this decision.

"We had a man (Jacobs) come down here and say, 'Look, here's what we can do, and it's up to you to decide if you want to do it.' It isn't going to be one of those deals where he's going to have to talk to a lawyer or somebody else and get back to us later. Granted, he's in a better position because he owns the place, but from where we're looking at it, that's beside the point."

Charles Harkless, Texas (BASS) – "Texas has never been a part of the TBF. Nothing against that organization, but that's just something we've never wanted to be involved in. We're firmly committed to BASS.

"When the new Federation Nation agreement is completely formulated, we'll review it one more time. But I'm 100% sure that Texas will be with BASS."

Mark Heckaman, Pennsylvania (FLW) – "To me, it wasn't a real hard decision. I'm a military guy and I always buy into tradition and things like that, and it's kind of painful to have to pull away from somebody who overall has been good to the sport.

"I'm not saying that the BASS proposal didn't have good elements – it did. But the FLW plan is exciting and it presents some great opportunities for the average angler to earn some chances at some big-time tournaments."

FLW Outdoors'
Proposal To TBF

Friday, January 13, 2006

Photo: FLW Outdoors

(Editor's note: Below is the FLW Outdoors proposal as it was communicated to the state presidents by TBF Inc.)

Membership

FLW membership $25 per year (same as BASS).

Full benefits access available to TBF\FLW members to include: Clothing discounts (FLW and TBF Clothing), FLW online store discounts (Electronics, TVs,
Cell Phones, Barnes and Noble, IBM, 1-800-FLOWERS, Pots & Pans, Kitchen Products, etc.).

Group healthcare insurance available through E-Heath Insurance.

Auto and boat insurance through Travelers Insurance.

Co-sponsored FLW/TBF credit card program. Any fees and commissions from the credit cards will go back to the state Federation where issued.

Youth

Funding for youth programs, top to bottom.

Big-name players, family values: Wal-Mart, Kellogg's, Ranger, Yamaha, Evinrude (pending), Castrol, Fujifilm, M&M Mars, Pedigree, Land O'Lakes, Pure Fishing, Chevrolet, others.

Travel assistance money to all youth contenders Advancing to TBF/FLW Junior World Championship and FLW Championship.

How cool would it be to put the youth winners on the Kellogg's box?

Broad support for youth programs from Fortune 500 companies.

Annual National Youth Directors workshop.

Cash direct from TBF to your state's youth program. Spend it where you want to.

Conservation

Funding for conservation programs.

Big-name Players WANT to get behind you: Wal-Mart, Kellogg's, Ranger, Yamaha, Evinrude (pending), Castrol, Fujifilm, M&M Mars, Pedigree, Land O'Lakes, Pure Fishing, Chevrolet, others.

People and companies with "horsepower."

New conservation awareness program.

You're the experts, tell us what you need.

Annual conservation directors workshop.

Cash direct from TBF to your state's conservation program. Spend it where you want to.

Boat-Buying Program and Ranger Cup

Earn a free Ranger Boat with engine for your state Federation.

Receive thousands for Ranger Cup state program.

It may be easier than you think.

See boat details presentation.

Tournament Opportunities

FLW will provide early entry to TBF members in the BFL as boaters and as co-anglers.

FLW will provide priority entry to TBF members in the Stren Series, Wal-Mart FLW Tour, Wal-Mart FLW Series events as co-Anglers.

FLW will provide TBF state champions Stren Series pro guaranteed slots (must enter all four events in a division).

FLW will provide TBF with an associate sponsorship of the BFL, Stren Series, FLW Tour and FLW Series. As a sponsor of FLW, TBF members will be enabled to wear a state Federation logo and/or TBF logos at any FLW tournaments as a competitor.

Tournaments

State Events: your state decides.

Divisionals by TBF/FLW and host states, fully functional and supported.

Federation National Championship by TBF/FLW, increased payout to $100,000.

National television coverage on Fox Sports Network (FSN).

FLW will provide TBF expenses-paid berths in the Wal-Mart BFL All-American (6 boater spots).

FLW will provide TBF expenses paid berths in the Wal-Mart BFL All-American (6 co-angler spots).

12 spots total in Wal-Mart BFL All-American to TBF.

FLW will provide TBF one pro boater spot in the Forrest Wood Cup ($1,000,000 in cash to the winner if they run a Ranger, $500,000 to the winner no matter what boat brand they own and use).

FLW will provide TBF one co-angler spot in the Forrest Wood Cup.

Living the Dream

FLW\TBF will provide the TBF National Champion with the "Living the Dream" Promotion to include:

A slot for 1 year with fully paid entry fees in the FLW Tour or the FLW Series Tournaments.

A wrapped "Living the Dream" Ranger Boat powered by a Yamaha engine, plus a wrapped Chevrolet truck for use during their 1-year tournament participation.

Expense money to help offset travel costs.

Media

FLW is a very powerful media partner. They and their partners have global media capabilities through all forms of media.

TBF Federation National Championship coverage nationwide on FSN.

FLW will allot four pages in each issue of FLW Outdoors magazine to TBF.

What FLW Asks

The proposal you have seen is enormous. For any business relationship to be long-term successful it must be a two-way street. Each party needs to be rewarded for its efforts.

To offer up this kind of contract proposal that is in excess of $15 million--these are real dollars supporting the Federation--TBF will need to provide FLW the following partnership commitments:

At least 80% of the TBF state Federations, clubs and members will join the FLW/TBF relationship and become FLW Outdoors members.

TBF will agree to start a new TBF-affiliated Federation in any state where no active TBF Federation exists.

State Federations that join the FLW relationship agree to provide category-exclusive sponsorships to Wal-Mart, Ranger, Kellogg's, BP, Castrol, Fujifilm, Yamaha, Land O'Lakes, Pure Fishing, M&M Mars, Pedigree and Chevrolet.

Each participating TBF state Federation agrees to display the FLW logo on all printed materials. Also, the TBF national organization agrees to use the FLW logo on all printed materials.

This is a 5-year agreement.

Burr 01-13-2006 12:25 PM

Might be time to look into the details.

I always had the impression BASS was primarily a tournament oriented organization - and think it could be dangerous to identify a fishing club too closely with tournament fishing. The goals of each differ.

To me a Walleye club casts a broader scope of involvement, including exposing kids to fishing, supporting stocking efforts, exposing kids to fishing, participating in fishing related legislation, exposing kids to fishing, education, kids..., seminars, kids..., monthly meetings, kids.., fund raising, kids..., and tournaments.

I'm not sure how involved an orgainization like BASS is in some of the 'other' fishing related issues we face.

For tournaments, they carry a powerful voice.

Did I mention Kids...

unlogged_hgmeyer 01-13-2006 02:02 PM

Juls,
That article is what prompted my last round of thinking... But, that offer is only to the former BASS State Federation organizations. There is no idetified component for walleye fishermen.

I am unaware of any state or national affiliation available for walleye clubs.

As far as the wholly tournament focus of BASS... That was not the case at the local club level... The BASS affiliated club that i belonged to had a strong youth component and the state BASS federation played a big roll in conservation efforts.

This is something that would have to be built from the ground up... But, if the FLW (a natural because of its League events and existing membership structure) was to develop it I am sure it would succeed. I don't thinl it would immediately grow to BASS proportions (35-40,000) but it could be healthy. Just my two pennies

rebs 01-13-2006 08:21 PM

Here we have a club called The Niagara River Anglers Association, we put on a trout fishing pond at the boat shows and sportman shows for the kids, as well as a membership drive. we have a trout pond for the kids to fish on our club property, also walleye rearing ponds which are used to raise walleye to be stocked in the Niagara River, as well as a salmon stocking program. We also have a large shelter that members can reserve for family outings etc..
We have club tournaments for walleye, smallmouth bass, steelhead and salmon. We also share information and work with the NYSDEC to help maintain a well balanced population of different species of fish in the river. Among many other aspects of sportsmanship and humanity.

rebs

Juls_OH 01-13-2006 08:25 PM

Interesting thoughts HG. Sorry, I misread your original post.

That's certainly something to think about. I know of several individuals who try to work with and put on fishing clinics with kids. The NPAA tries to do as much as they can too. I think something like what the federation members are doing would be a great help in teaching kids and helping the sport grow in the future.

Too many kids do not know the enjoyment of getting out and going fishing. So many kids never get the chance. Something like this would give them that chance. It would also be a chance to teach them about conservation, and how to protect the resources.

Hmmmmmmm...;)

Juls

hgmeyer 01-13-2006 10:32 PM

Rebs and others...

I have a feeling that there are a great many "independent" fishing clubs that are involved in great programs. One thing I have learned over the years in managing/supporting non-profit organizational efforts is the value of "leveraging" efforts. One club can accomplish "X" value of success... Seems like 4 clubs working together can successfully accomoplish maybe "6 or even 8X" value of success, primarily because of scale and lack of duplication of effort on some fronts. That is simply the probable result of bigger scaled efforts. Seems like that could be harnessed.

Next, if a large national organization is out front (here for discussion purposes the FLW) it seems like the "leverage factor" would be significant.

I feel that this is an "idea" with some room for growth and certainly worthy of discussion. Since there is no national organization or registry of any kind it will have to be "shepherded" along by word of mouth. Hopefully a discussion here will produce some excellent ideas. Hopefully!

P.S. I know this has a "tournament" flavor, but I really wish the moderators would reconsider and put it back on the general discussion board where it will get more exposure. I hope this discussion won't be centered only around the idea of tournaments. Rather, I would like to see a multiple focus on what is long term good for our "sport".

TYEEE 01-13-2006 10:59 PM

HG, One of the nice things about the Federation to me is the fact that they are COMPLETELY INDEPENDANT! And they drive their own decissions!

Not that your idea isn't a good one (I will support and participate in any non-profit organization that works towards conservation and events for our youth.) But when private industry "buys" a massive audience like this in the short time that it has without their complete support it is quite disturbing to me!

It's the off season for cripes sakes and I bet the majority of the 300,000 to 400,000 members have no idea what has transpired over the last 30 days! I guess all they can do is GRIN AND BEAR IT!
Good Luck
Tyee

Juls_OH 01-14-2006 06:52 AM

I moved it over here HG, because I figured it would stay on the first page longer, and more people would see it. It was already to the middle of the second page on the general discussion page last night.
I also figured the people who look at this page (more than the general public) would have the right connections to maybe get something like this off the ground if they thought it had some potential.

Just trying to help...if you want me to move it again...I will.

Juls

Juls_OH 01-14-2006 06:55 AM

Tyee,
If I read all the articles correctly, the Federation has around 40,000 members across the country.

Juls