Walleye Message Central

Walleye Message Central (https://www.walleyecentral.com/forums/index.php)
-   Trailers and Tow Vehicles (https://www.walleyecentral.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=35)
-   -   Drotto Hook (https://www.walleyecentral.com/forums/showthread.php?t=555289)

mr ducks 06-02-2016 03:55 PM

Drotto Hook

Have used this a dozen times now a and am very impressed! Works as advertised and is a very useful addition to a trailer with rollers.
Word of caution however. First time out someone must have unhooked it and I failed to verify that It was open--UGH. Almost a disaster but close enough to the water that I just had a heck of a ride!,
All in all a great product

fireboat 06-02-2016 10:34 PM

Drotto

I've had mine about 3 months, works great. Wish I would have bought it 10yrs ago.

Plotman 06-03-2016 07:13 AM

Bought mine last year and love it. will have to keep an eye on that as many folks seemm intrigued by its operation and I have had more than one person pull the activation handle while its loaded. I guess it makes sense now why they put that quick detach clip on the activation arm now... The Drotto and the ez-steps I built are the 2 best upgrades I have done to my rig so far.

Harley01 07-01-2016 07:11 AM

Great product

I have uses it a few times this year the best thing I ever bought for my trailer. I did have a question the boat sits back a few inches now and I am tearing up the tie down straps any pointers?

Plotman 07-01-2016 10:20 AM

[QUOTE=Harley01;4960321]I have uses it a few times this year the best thing I ever bought for my trailer. I did have a question the boat sits back a few inches now and I am tearing up the tie down straps any pointers?[/QUOTE]

I simply loosened the u-bolts on the winch stand and slid the entire assembly forward so the boat stayed where it originally sat before the drotto.

andersaki 07-01-2016 03:49 PM

[QUOTE=mr ducks;4893529]Have used this a dozen times now a and am very impressed! Works as advertised and is a very useful addition to a trailer with rollers.
Word of caution however. First time out someone must have unhooked it and I failed to verify that It was open--UGH. Almost a disaster but close enough to the water that I just had a heck of a ride!,
All in all a great product[/QUOTE]

An easy way to check to make sure that it is still latched before releasing your winch is to simply look underneath the Drotto to see if the locking hooks are open. If it was inadvertently released just tighten your winch until you hear the Drotto click, then continue with your launch procedure. This is a great American made product that makes launching and loading simple and safer. It operates much like a fifth wheel on a semi tractor. I really like mine.

andersaki

clawman 07-01-2016 03:58 PM

I got mine this spring and think it is an awesome product. Not a guimick either a very useful and safe item. I see so many people hanging over the front of their boats hooking up and winching on. It seems like it is only a matter of time that they fall and potential injury.
Buy on now before some big company buys the patent, makes it cheaper and doubles the price!

Harley01 07-02-2016 06:48 AM

Thank you

[QUOTE=Plotman;4960969]I simply loosened the u-bolts on the winch stand and slid the entire assembly forward so the boat stayed where it originally sat before the drotto.[/QUOTE]

I have a 2015 shorelander with a swing toung I looked and cannot move the assembly. I did check with the Drotto people and they said some thing about using strap extenders but I honestly do not know what that is

promopete 01-23-2017 01:05 PM

So with the Drotto or something similar, is there a need for a bow strap? I would think the latch keeps the bow from moving up and down when trailering.

andersaki 01-23-2017 01:33 PM

Theoretically no, with the Drotto, safety chain and the winch strap you are protected many times over, but......
I would not eliminate it for the simple reason stated in one of the previous posts, if someone accidentally or on purpose trips the release lever you can use the winch to relatch it. After I load my boat, I hook up the strap and take up the slack, relieving any pressure on the Drotto clamp, although it is so well made that it may not be necessary.

andersaki