Walleye Message Central

Walleye Message Central (https://www.walleyecentral.com/forums/index.php)
-   General Discussion (https://www.walleyecentral.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=11)
-   -   Rod Recommendation (https://www.walleyecentral.com/forums/showthread.php?t=125005)

Baldy 07-28-2003 07:50 AM

Rod Recommendation

I recently received some Cabelas gift certificates and was considering using them for a new creature/backup bucktail rod. The certificates dont amount to much so i wanted to keep the price down. I am comtemplating between a Berkeley Steelhead Rod or a Cabelas Fish Eagle II Musky rod.

The Berkeley rod is 7'9" H, rated for 15-50 lb line, and 1/4-4 oz lure...$60

The Cabelas rod is 7'6" H, rated for 15-30 lb line, and 3/4-2.5 oz lure...$80

I am leaning towards the Berkeley due to the added length and the fact that the sensitivity is probably a little better, but I am concerned about how well a steelhead rod will hold up to a muskie. I have seen steelhead rods used for large pike fishing

I am interested in some opinions on these two choices. Any input is greatly appreciated. Thanks.

Musky Mike 07-28-2003 08:15 AM

RE: Rod Recommendation

Baldy;

I have a 7ft M.H. Berkley Lightening Seriers rod which has seen many musky seasons with excellent service. I also have a 7ft. Shakespeare Steelhead spinning rod which has doubled for musky duty a few times and handled the task flawlessly. I don't think you would be disappointed with a Berkley rod or steelhead action durability. Hope this helps some.

Cheers and tight lines,

MLK

Muskmelon 07-28-2003 08:32 AM

Nothing wrong with a Berkeley rod for the $ but a steelhead rod would be a poor choice. Very soft action in the top 3/4 of a steelhead rod which will give you little or no hook setting power. A Heavy or Medium Heavy flippin stick would be a better option here and Berkely has those as well.

Dan Dean 07-28-2003 11:44 AM

If you can budget a little more, I would have Thorne. bros. custom build you a creature/buck tail rod, (something light with a strong tip) you will be glad you did, then save the Cabela certificates for rain gear or something else.

Dan

FDog23 12-15-2011 05:16 PM

Custom Rod

Anyone have a recomendation on a reputable rod maker who will back up their word? Im just lookin for some suggestions lesson learned. For anyone in the market looking to buy a custom built rod DO NOT use Nick Ready at Jawbreaker Custom Rods in Park Falls WI.I was told 1month build time paid through pay pal and is now going on 3 months no rod! Went back and forth on design and specs on the musky rod i was going to purchase. After i sent payment to him it was excuse after excuse, that's if i even received a response from him. Anything from someone being sick, to broken ribs, moving etc....... Website is no longer up and has changed email adress! Figured id buy a rod from within the state up in park falls but so much for that!

Vince Weirick 12-15-2011 10:42 PM

[QUOTE=FDog23;1373672]Anyone have a recomendation on a reputable rod maker who will back up their word? Im just lookin for some suggestions lesson learned. For anyone in the market looking to buy a custom built rod DO NOT use Nick Ready at Jawbreaker Custom Rods in Park Falls WI.I was told 1month build time paid through pay pal and is now going on 3 months no rod! Went back and forth on design and specs on the musky rod i was going to purchase. After i sent payment to him it was excuse after excuse, that's if i even received a response from him. Anything from someone being sick, to broken ribs, moving etc....... Website is no longer up and has changed email adress! Figured id buy a rod from within the state up in park falls but so much for that![/QUOTE]

Check out my Migizi Fishing Rods. Want something custom with a lifetime warranty...give me a call 574-551-0214.

spaniel235 12-16-2011 09:24 AM

custom rods

Jim Grandt has a lifetime warranty no matter how it breaks.....He answered my call personally, and when I told him I was going to Canada to walleye fish in a week, he said he would make sure I had the new rod. He shipped it express, and I had it 3 days before we left. He's out of Chicago, and I'm in Ohio.

[URL="http://www.grandtrods.com"]www.grandtrods.com[/URL]

FDog23 12-16-2011 02:51 PM

thanks for all the input folks i will for sure be checking out all the suggestions. much appreciated.

Nick Kanauz 01-02-2012 08:21 PM

PayPal

FDog...I believe PayPal has a back up guarantee...I'd contact them to see what they can do.

Baldy...My guide recommended a Shimano Compre 8 to 9 foot MH Musky Rod to me several years ago...got it from Cabelas, on sale for $99, and never looked back...it throws my Buchertail bucks like forever! Hope this might help.

FDog23 01-05-2012 04:14 AM

Thanks Nick. Yea i contacted Paypal. Since the guy building the rod has taken so long (going on 4 months), there is nothing paypal can do beyond their 45 day protection period. However I did talk to this guy and he said that the blanks just came in...... Finally got a new number to call him on, turns out it is is fiances cell. I dont think she was to happy when she found out what this guy was doing to customers. He said the rod would be shipping by Friday. Another guy that i have been talking to who has had the same problem with Jawbreaker Rods, we have been on it trying to get this guy to either return our money or ship the rods!