Walleye Message Central

Walleye Message Central (https://www.walleyecentral.com/forums/index.php)
-   Members Fishing Reports (https://www.walleyecentral.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=6)
-   -   Lake erie nets (https://www.walleyecentral.com/forums/showthread.php?t=51525)

Aquaholic 06-08-2000 06:56 AM

Lake erie nets

One last post,then I'm going to get after the eyes again...sounds like this stretch of reasonalbe weather has them going if you can find them.I saw a post this morning that brought a vision of the answer to our problems.There was a reference to almost 30,000 miles of nets on the canadian side.If we can't get them to back off their commercial netting,lets get the ball rolling to play their game.Lets start a fund to put in a net of our own...ON THE BORDER,THE WHOLE LENGHT OF THE LAKE!Then we can benefit from OUR management practices,and they can suffer from theirs.Someone on this board has the organizational skills,political contacts to get this done.Sounds goofy at first,but if you don't get along with your neighbors what do YOU do?I would gladdly be the first donator

Eyemadman 06-08-2000 07:10 AM

RE: Lake erie nets

Im second

Eye Trap 06-08-2000 07:44 AM

Lets here it for Aquaholic!!! One heckuva idea sir!!! Count me in for any support needed. I've been harpin' on this subject for years and nobody has been listenin'-Now that the walleyes are leavin' maybe I can get my point across. Let me know when and where you would like to stretch that net and I'll be more than happy to assist you. I think we should post a couple U.S. Navy destroyers or Frigates out there also,just to make sure nothing happens to it after we put it in!!! Who DID win the Battle of Lake Erie???

Eyemadman 06-08-2000 08:05 AM

Why does Canadian regs only allow you 1 pole no bait brought across border, and they are raping lake Erie with nets, does not make sense. Probably because its shared with the USA. Why dont they gill net all there other **** holes across there ##### country. Said it once , Say it again, stay in the USA, dont spend nothing up there until they quit RAPING OUR LAKE ERIE. Theres plenty of walleye in all the **** holes across their land, but they choose 1 to rape, the 1 that borders US and Canada. Stay in the USA, let the sport fishing and tourism nose dive to the ground then make them pull the nets. PS their probably stocking their inland **** holes

4-given 06-08-2000 08:18 AM

This could work. There is a U.S. Senate Great Lakes task force. Carl Levine (D-MI) and Mike Dewine (R-OH) are the co-chairs. The website is:

#####://www.nemw.org/gltask.htm

I don't think we would need the feds to put the net in but we might need them to keep the Cannuts from cutting it down.

Tim FRick 06-08-2000 08:25 AM

I think were going alittle overboard don't you think? I'm all for getting rid of the netters but a net across lake erie would cost more to us then to buy the Canada goverment out. Not to mention I think those shipping boats might have a problem with this. We need to get with our congressman and see actual how we can get this thing done a reasonable way. I have been saying this for a long time but don't buy walleye at the stores or restaurants. If there's no demand, then you won't need to supply it. Thus putting them out of business.

We have one of the most peacefull borders in the world. Comments towards the Canada people won't win anything. We have to remember that these netters are people just trying to make a living. Even if it's wrong on what there doing. We were doing the samething they were just a few years back. Fortunally we bought them out. I believe that's the only way will get rid of them too. Also we still net yellow perch. You can see miles and nets apond nets each year. Why don't we raise a stink about that?!!? Do you really think those nets are any better than the gill nets. I'm sure they kill there share of eye's and other speices.

As far as catching eyes goes, I've notice several things. Denied as an excellent web page that documents how fishing is and the weather. Going over that I came up with this.

From 4/17 to 6/6 = 50 days and 7 weekends,
of those 50 days 16 were heavy blows from north/northeast winds. As we all know it takes 1-3 days after these heavy blows to start catching fish again. So if you times that 16 days by 2 = 32 days of bad fishing. That right there is more than half of the spring season of not being able to catch anything. Also 4 out 7 weekends were basically blow out due to heavy winds. That's my observation and sorry for the long post but I'm tried of hearing people cry about not catching fish when we have had a very ****ty spring this year not to mention people that won't change there tatics to catch more(troll vs. drift). This is my opinion only(I'm not an expert) and you my blast it or agree with it.
Be patience and Good Luck!!
Tim FRick

Frank 06-08-2000 09:20 AM

As a Canadian I take pride in being part of a generally kind gentle society. Walleye quotas on the lake for netters are set by a joint US and Canadian group. When I read some of the posts here I am offended. Bring in the Navy ect. Why not just invade Canada and make it your private walleye fishing area. With the strength of the US military and the state of our army it shouldn't be too hard. And by the way Britian won the battle of Lake Erie, you guys went to invade Canada in 1812 and we kicked your ***.

Raybob 06-08-2000 09:36 AM

Thanks for a excellent post Tim .. I have Ontario friends/fishermen that are in the same boat as us.
Finger pointing & name callin' just makes matters worst. I agree with your post 100%!

Thanks, Raybob

Fuzzy 06-08-2000 10:26 AM

Does anybody know what the canadians do with all these harveted walleye? I mean where does it all end up? Who's table? Does it become catfood?

I mean it can't all end up in Canada...there aren't many people up there are smart enough to hold a job that pays enough to afford a walleye diner out....let alone use utensils,

OLERUFF 06-08-2000 10:57 AM

SOMEONE HIT THE NAIL ON THE HEAD ELSEWHERE,WARNING LABELS ON WALLEYE IMPORTED FROM CANADA,LAKE ERIE REGION,WHY NOT?MAYBE IT COULD RESOLVE BOTH COUNTRIES HEALTH CARE ISSUES! P.S I DON'T INTEND TO BRING POLITICAL ISSUES TO THIS TABLE BUT ```` OLERUFF