Walleye Message Central

Walleye Message Central (https://www.walleyecentral.com/forums/index.php)
-   Electronics (https://www.walleyecentral.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=34)
-   -   ???? lowrance (https://www.walleyecentral.com/forums/showthread.php?t=194559)

glh79 04-21-2012 06:20 AM

???? lowrance

any body have an idea how too make an hds8 give me the depth reading on a lund 1775 after i get past 20 or so mph have changed angle and depth of trans played with ping speed etc. seems like too much cavatation at higher speed dealer can"t figure it out so checking here too see if anyone has any ideas?????? any help much appreciated thanks greg:cry::cry: :bigsmile::bigsmile:

haybay larry 04-21-2012 06:42 AM

Hds8

Hopefully you mounted the transducer on a board or plastic plate so you can adjust the position of the transducer. This way you only have one set of holes in the hull. The transducer should be mounted in a position that gets the least amount of turbulence. You might also not have it deep enough in the water, it should just be below the surface by about 1/2".

LLewellin 04-21-2012 06:49 AM

I would check the depth of your transducer as Haybay suggested, make sure it is angled forward and also make sure it is not lined up with a row of rivets on the bottom of the boat. Then I would make sure ping speed is up and it is in shallow water mode. If you are still losing bottom time to start moving the transducer till you find the sweet spot. I have the HDS units and I only lose bottom at speed of 34+ in 75' of water and sometimes not at all. If I am in shallower than 30' I never lose the bottom.

TJEli 04-21-2012 07:17 AM

One you are sure your transducer is positioned correctly, turn your ping speed all the way up. That will help.

-Eli

Hawker 04-21-2012 07:20 AM

As with the previous suggestions, it sounds as if your transducer location/adjustment is your problem! Sometimes it's helpful if you can have some with you that can drive the boat while you carefully look over the transom while running at or above the speed that you lose lock on the bottom. You should be able to determine a clean, non turbulent area to re-locate the transducer to, or determine if your transducer is actually mounted too high! LLewellin is "spot on" with his recommendation and Haybay's suggestion about the transducer mounting board is an excellent one as well! Best of luck, keep us posted on your results!

glh79 04-21-2012 08:09 PM

yep

tried all that and some others the problem is weird as i have got better response at ping 8- 10 than higher and the ducer is set as instructed also the structure scan works fine so will try and move again thanks for all the info thank god for those plastic boards otherwise it would look like swiss cheese had a 2025 and it worked fine on that so guess will have too find that sweet spot:cry::cry: :bigsmile::bigsmile:

bowhunter99 04-21-2012 10:30 PM

it may be the transducer...mighy did the same thing, eventually it stop reading at trolling speeds for short stretches
replaced transducer mounted it with the same bracket and now works great at full speed

RickOnt 04-22-2012 06:58 AM

gl

I am having the same issue with a HDS8 Gen 2, Just got out yesterday for the first run with the new 8. So the learning curve has just begun LOL

I am also loosing bottom at about 18 MPH So now I have lowered the Transducer about 1/4" However it is very windy here today Si I will not get back out for a test till next weekend.

How low did you try? How much below bottom of boat?

I did not change the Ping speed but will try that next trip.

I did lower the Sensitivity to -3 which cleared up the screen.

Now another Question, Surface clutter/Noise? I am showing about 3' of surface clutter Is this normal for the HDS 8?

Rick

KHedquist 04-22-2012 07:00 AM

More than likely turbulence, is there strake in front of the transducer?

JDP 04-22-2012 07:13 AM

Is the transducer mounted on the starboard (drivers) or port side (passenger)?

I have read that in some port side installations there is interefence from the
prop wash. Although I don't know of this at trolling sppeeds, during acceleration or
at high speeds.

You may need to drop the transducer down or closer to the center line of the boat.

Can you post a picture of your installation. I'll bet one of the guys
on WC can solve this for you.