Walleye Message Central

Walleye Message Central (https://www.walleyecentral.com/forums/index.php)
-   Canada (https://www.walleyecentral.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=7)
-   -   Sioux Narrows in June (https://www.walleyecentral.com/forums/showthread.php?t=193001)

Backroad Benny 03-25-2012 02:07 PM

Sioux Narrows in June

I have a cabin booked in mid-late June this year in Snake Bay near Sioux Narrows. Looking for some info on the fishing out there in June. We love to catch walleyes, but we'll be putting some focus on the lake trout, bass and crappies as well. Any pointers as to what to look for would be great.

JohnWF 03-26-2012 12:32 AM

Sioux Narrows

Hard to predict what will be happening in late June, but I can provide a few general comments. Bring good electronics and a detailed mapping chip covering not only Whitefish Bay but also Yellowgirl, Redcliff and the open water area west of those bays. I use both Navionics Premium and Lakemaster chips. Both have merits. Note that some Lakemaster chips stop at Whitefish Narrows which is at the north end of Whitefish Bay. I like a GPS screen that is large enough to actually read as I move across the lake. I also like to know where I'm going and what is in front of me. There are navigational hazards that can ruin a trip and possibly cause injury. Good rain gear is essential and keep an eye open for a secure place if the big wind shows itself.

Big paper maps are worthwhile, too. Structure is everything. Maps get you close-depth finders let you find the right depth.

Whitefish Bay has clear water. Snake, Long, Black, Yellowgirl and Redcliff bays have stained water. You might find some algae in the big water west of Redcliff, more so later in the season. There are some sections of small boulders/round rocks in Whitefish Bay, but not as extensively as the areas north of Whitefish Narrows. I've had better luck fishing the stained water in Black, Yellowgirl and Redcliff Bays as well as the open areas to the west of the mentioned bays.

Snake Bay can produce a few walleyes in early mornings and late afternoons. Trolling night crawlers seems to work. By late June the bass may have moved to deeper water. I've had no experience lake trout fishing but I've seen a some nice fish come into the cleaning shack. I'm told that silver and blue are the colors. I'm giving the lakers a go this summer, so I'll hopefully be a bit smarter later in the summer. While I do not fish muskies I saw some nice ones inspecting hooked smallmouth and walleyes, not only in Whitefish but also in Redcliff and Yellowgirl bays. Northerns can be anywhere. Last summer the guys trolling for lake trout in 60' of water were getting large northerns.

Catching lots of walleyes will likely involve a boat ride north to the open water area above of the Aulneau Peninsula. It is not uncommon to run 40 to 60 miles round trip. Reefs & humps are the ticket for jigging. Hard to beat minnows or leeches for walleyes, but rubber can work, too. Bring loads of cash if you plan on covering a lot of water. Cost of fuel and bait is not what we are used to down here, but what the heck, you are on vacation and only there for a short time. And it is a beautiful place to boat .

John

Backroad Benny 03-26-2012 08:00 AM

Thanks for taking the time, John. I have the Navionics Gold chip for my Lowrance, as well as all the paper charts, so navigation is in the bag.

I plan on making the trek to Yellowgirl at least one day. I'd also like to head into Blueberry Inlet for crappies and bass, but I don't have a fast boat. It's just a Grumman 16' aluminum with a 25 Suzuki 4 stroke. So I'm hoping to find some fishing closer to home for those times when I just want to get out for a couple hours.

I've got some areas picked out for lake trout just outside Snake Bay in Whitefish Bay. Thanks for the tip on blue/white, I read that elsewhere as well, so that should up my conifidence when pulling those colour baits.

Are there many crappies in Snake Bay?

JohnWF 03-26-2012 11:06 AM

Snake Bay

Benny:

I have not encountered many crappies, but I will admit that I don't look for them. I really don't know what depths or structure the crappies seek in late June. However, I have caught a few of them in Redcliff in June/July while jigging for walleyes in 20' of water.

The body of water that is connected to the south end of Snake Bay is reported to have crappies as well as bass, northerns and occasionally walleyes. The channel goes south past White Pine Lodge. It is a neat little area consisting of a couple of miles of river channel with lots of weeds and a 30+' hole near the end. I think it is called Lost Lake or Hidden Lake, depending on who is speaking. Oak Point is also down that way.

Blueberry and Bear Bay (north out of Yellowgirl) are also noted for crappies. Low water conditions can make access to Blueberry a bit of a challenge, but you should not have difficulty with your boat. There are rocks in the channel that have aluninum deposits. I've not explored Bear Bay.

John

Backroad Benny 03-26-2012 01:52 PM

I'm really glad you mentioned the little back bay on the south tip of Snake Bay! I thought it was a perfect little place for crappies since they'd have that deep basin close by and the shallows to spawn in. I've had my eye on that little inlet since I first checked out the charts in there.

I imagine, unless we get a LOT of rain, that we'll have lower than average water levels. Even after the melt up here, a lot of water in Manitoba and near Kenora is low. What a wild year...

Thanks again, John.

Benny

fishanytime 03-27-2012 05:32 PM

Snake Bay

John,

Appreciate the detailed comments, I am looking for good ideas as well. I have a pro V 1900 with a small Hummingbird fishfinder. I usually dock at Paradise Point so would really like to know the hot spots in Snake as well as Yellowgirl, Long Bay and spots west of there. Send me an email at [email]mkewhlr@chorus.net[/email] if you know of any spots.

Ver88 03-27-2012 07:27 PM

Snake Bay

Snake bay has a very good population of crappies and walleyes, but they can be hard to figure out. Hidden Bay is a good starting point for crappies; try casting a small jig and plastic near the weed edges in the evening and you will get a few. Blueberry inlet in a neat place to explore, but the crappie size does not seem to be as good as it used to be.

For snake bay walleyes I would try jig and crawler on rock humps 10-20 fow or troll crawler near the weed lines. For really good walleye fishing you need to take a boat ride up to long bay, sunset channel, or yellowgirl. You will catch several hundred a day using jig and plastic.

What resort are you staying at in Snake Bay?

Backroad Benny 03-27-2012 08:19 PM

Thanks for the info Ver88! Any other tips? I'm much happier targeting smallies, lakers and big pike for the most part, but we want to have a shore lunch or two.

We're staying at Shingwak Resort. I booked one of the new cabins through a guy who owns it independently from the resort.

Been looking at the charts in Snake Bay quite a bit and there's no shortage of reefs to check out. Looking forward to trying to figure that area out! I've spent lots of time in the NW portions of Lake of the Woods and some time in Sabaskong/Stevens Bay. It's like fishing a new lake in each of the sections.

Backroad Benny 05-23-2012 12:41 PM

Anyone been out there so far this year? Less than a month to go!