Walleye Message Central

Walleye Message Central (https://www.walleyecentral.com/forums/index.php)
-   Strictly Fishing (https://www.walleyecentral.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=16)
-   -   powder paint colors after curing on two tone jigs (https://www.walleyecentral.com/forums/showthread.php?t=190634)

ksgoosekillr 02-08-2012 07:32 AM

powder paint colors after curing on two tone jigs

1 Attachment(s)
i have been doing a lot of two tone painting lately. I'm starting to notice something and I'm hoping some other users here will have some good input on this. When doing two tone jigs ill use my last pour as an example, it was a a white undercoat, a chart yellow base with hot pink on the top and orange on the bottom. You can see the pics below... well this is before the curing. After i cured the jigs the hot pink on the top turned into orange. well more of a hot pink fade to orange. My question is what colors have you guys had change on you during curing? I just made a bunch of jigs the way i wanted them only to have them change on me.

JusJign 02-08-2012 09:26 AM

You might try backing off the temp in you're curing oven, you might also try using a thermometer rather then what the dials says the temp is. It is very likely the top coat is blending with the base coat on a minuscule level, due to high heat putting the coating in an almost slurry like state, enabling the colors to blend a little, forming an off, or slightly different color. Another possibility is, some pigments are not as robust as others, and if by chance your cure heat is to high, our your cure time is too long you can simply be over curing them.

Best Regards,
Randy Gaines

bigb027 02-08-2012 10:28 AM

I had that same problem with the same colors. I'm thinking they just don't work together like some people said in the HG jig thread. :cheers:

defish 02-08-2012 11:26 AM

[quote=ksgoosekillr;1391253]i have been doing a lot of two tone painting lately. I'm starting to notice something and I'm hoping some other users here will have some good input on this. When doing two tone jigs ill use my last pour as an example, it was a a white undercoat, a chart yellow base with hot pink on the top and orange on the bottom. You can see the pics below... well this is before the curing. After i cured the jigs the hot pink on the top turned into orange. well more of a hot pink fade to orange. My question is what colors have you guys had change on you during curing? I just made a bunch of jigs the way i wanted them only to have them change on me.[/quote]

There are a couple of ways you can get this color combination to work with powder paint.

1. Do the white base coat, dip the top and bottom colors, and then use a paint brush to tap the chartruese on to the middle band.

2. Do the colors the way you have been, but after applying the pink heat the jig just enough for the pink to get "glossy" (a heat gun would be the easiest way to do it.) Apply an epoxy like Devcon 2 Ton 30 minute epoxy to protect the paint instead of curing it.

I kind of like the 1st way myself because you get somewhat more "natural" transitions from one color to the other, and you don't have to do the epoxy top coat.

Good luck!

Dan

Seaark1660 02-08-2012 01:04 PM

When I do the base coat,I fully cure it before doing any top coats.So the 2-tone colors will get a total of 3 bakes.I found this minimizes the color bleeding and excessive dripping.

I still like to spray paint for the 2-tones.And then use the clear for a final coat,that also gets a final cure.

On a side note;has anyone ever used the powder paint from Harbor Freight?

SaugerSlayer 02-08-2012 01:33 PM

anymore i dont cure my powder paint. i kinda like that 2 ton clear epoxy. its tough as nails and puts a nice gloss on it. i also thought about adding glitter to the epoxy for a nice finish.

defish 02-08-2012 01:39 PM

[quote=Seaark1660;1391381]When I do the base coat,I fully cure it before doing any top coats.So the 2-tone colors will get a total of 3 bakes.I found this minimizes the color bleeding and excessive dripping.

I still like to spray paint for the 2-tones.And then use the clear for a final coat,that also gets a final cure.

On a side note;has anyone ever used the powder paint from Harbor Freight?[/quote]

Seaark I'm curious what are you using for your clear coat after you spray your two-tones?

As to the Harbor Freight powder, I've heard that it's "ok." Not bad, but maybe not the best and very limited for colors. Some of the best quality powder at very good prices is available from ColumbiaCoatings.com. A lot of colors available and good customer service.

Dan

ksgoosekillr 02-08-2012 01:50 PM

[QUOTE=Seaark1660;1391381]When I do the base coat,I fully cure it before doing any top coats.So the 2-tone colors will get a total of 3 bakes.I found this minimizes the color bleeding and excessive dripping.

On a side note;has anyone ever used the powder paint from Harbor Freight?[/QUOTE]

when you bake the second and third time doesn't the base coat soften up on you? i actually use the toaster over to heat the jigs for coloring that way i can heat the entire batch, and grab a jig at a time out of the oven to color... hang them on an outside rack.. when all have been colored back into the oven they go to cure.

defish 02-08-2012 03:03 PM

[quote=ksgoosekillr;1391397]when you bake the second and third time doesn't the base coat soften up on you? i actually use the toaster over to heat the jigs for coloring that way i can heat the entire batch, and grab a jig at a time out of the oven to color... hang them on an outside rack.. when all have been colored back into the oven they go to cure.[/quote]

I also use mostly an oven for heating my jigs - including the multi colored ones. I don't fully cure them until ALL the paint has been applied. Your lures also shouldn't have any dripping or paint running unless they have WAY too much paint on them.

Try the methods I outlined on a previous post. Work with your oven temp and how long you preheat the lures - the lures should have a light coating and a glossy finish when they are removed from the powder.

Good luck.

Dan

P.S. I also keep notes for temps, heating times between coats, etc. for later reference.

SDRanger621 02-08-2012 03:07 PM

If you want a source for inexpensive surplus powder paint, try this sight. There is no minimum amount you have to buy. You can buy a pound for $2-$3.

Once you go to the sight, click on inventory catalog and then at the bottom of the catalog click on the different colors.
[url]http://www.powdercoatings.com/[/url]