Walleye Message Central

Walleye Message Central (https://www.walleyecentral.com/forums/index.php)
-   Trailers and Tow Vehicles (https://www.walleyecentral.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=35)
-   -   Age of tires and blowout (https://www.walleyecentral.com/forums/showthread.php?t=617969)

ranger1850 05-14-2017 08:40 AM

Age of tires and blowout

I had a note to replace all tires at the end of this fishing season. On my way hope from a trip down south, blowout happen. No one was hurt and all ended up fine. The tires looked brand new, two on trailer and the spare. Tire pressure was correct, checked them cold and added air. I will never go more than 4 years again. Just an old timers advice to all. Again was lucky the trailer never swerved not did I lose any type of control. One last comment you can check the date on the tires to make sure when produced. I talked to young fisherman at ramp other day, he just replaced his tires with brand new ones. I told him to check the date, he said they are over a year old.

REW 05-14-2017 09:54 AM

What was the manufacturing date printed on each tire?

I do agree that tires need to be changed as a result of age, as well as a result of weather checking and or tread wear or obvious internal damage.

Be safe

ranger1850 05-14-2017 10:21 AM

Age of tires and blowout

[QUOTE=REW;5542865]What was the manufacturing date printed on each tire?

I do agree that tires need to be changed as a result of age, as well as a result of weather checking and or tread wear or obvious internal damage.

Be safe[/QUOTE]

I used purchase date, of Nov. 12, at the time did not know of date on tires, which was 6-11, which meant close to 6 yrs old.

fishin10 05-14-2017 01:33 PM

2 Attachment(s)
The Carlise's on my trailer(4.80X12) have well over 4000 miles on them, mostly high speed interstate. Purchased them 2 years ago. Most likely will replace them this fall before heading back up to TN

ranger1850 05-14-2017 04:30 PM

Age of tires and blowout

[QUOTE=fishin10;5543313]The Carlise's on my trailer(4.80X12) have well over 4000 miles on them, mostly high speed interstate. Purchased them 2 years ago. Most likely will replace them this fall before heading back up to TN[/QUOTE]

Thanks for your input, but its the age not the mileage that caused my blowout.

fisher_i_am 05-14-2017 04:49 PM

I assume you have a reata on a single axle trailer?

I have the angler on a single axle trailer. I had a blowout also, tread separated from tire. Never had a blowout before in many years with other boats. My believe is the reata/angler are very heave for the single axle trailer and results in harder application for the tires they result in more opportunity for a failure. My guess is with the boat all the gear and some extra weight when going on longer vacation I'm right at the capacity where most other boat/trailers I owned I was no where near capacity of the tires.

yarcraft91 05-14-2017 06:00 PM

Age, inflation pressure, load and speed: all are important in trailer tire performance.

The common advice I've seen is:
- replace trailer tires 6 years after their manufacture date
- inflate tires to the pressure at which the load was rated, all that info is on the tire sidewall
- load the tires to no more than 90% of their rated weight capacity
- stay within the speed rating of the tires, which is 65 mph on many Special Trailer tires

Kevin23 05-14-2017 07:53 PM

Most blowouts happen in July or August. Hot roads, hot air, long drives, speeds of 70+, and old tires all combine to equal blowouts. Check your tires, unless you buy special ones- they are rated to 65mph. You can push them to 68 or so, there's a 10% leeway in the ratings. but I'm sure all of us have been passed by a guy pulling a boat 75mph+.

6 years is the standard. If you keep them in perfect conditions- not hot, not cold, not humid, not dry, no sunlight, and move the trailer often you can probably push them longer. I have not seen where those conditions exist though.

Yeah it sucks to replace your tires after 4-6 years, especially if you only use the trailer a few times a year.. but trust me, forking out that money is better than having a blowout. They aren't going to blow while at a stoplight downtown....

Snowking 05-14-2017 08:08 PM

I did not want to have issues with my single axle heavy load trailer. I put D rated trailer tires on. They also are rated for higher speed. As allot of highways are now 70 mph. I think most single axles trailers with 17.50 foot plus size boats should come from the dealer with D rated tires.

muskyman73 05-14-2017 09:25 PM

Storage can be a big factor too

If you store your boat indoors, in a garage where the suns rays are not hitting your tires, you are adding life to your tires. The suns rays on a stored boat can be brutal to them.