Walleye Message Central

Walleye Message Central (https://www.walleyecentral.com/forums/index.php)
-   Walleye Boats and Motors (https://www.walleyecentral.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=8)
-   -   Mercury 250 Pro XS octane ? (https://www.walleyecentral.com/forums/showthread.php?t=111081)

2 DOGS 09-13-2006 09:39 AM

Mercury 250 Pro XS octane ?

Can anyone help me out with the octane requirement for the new Mercury Pro XS 250? Looked on their website but can't seem to find it.

BobH 09-13-2006 10:39 AM

RE: Mercury 250 Pro XS octane ?

I phoned Mercury yesterday with regards to that very issue as it is not stated on their web site as to what octane is required in the 250 Pro XS and they said it needs at least 91 octane which in Saskatchewan is Premium fuel.

They also said the 275 Verado can run on regular gas however for best performance you should run Premium.

2 DOGS 09-13-2006 10:51 AM

Thanks for the info. Where I spend the summer in Ontario, premium gas is about as scarce as chicken's teeth! Don't think I can carry enough bottles of octane boost to make it worthwhile.

Mark Klossner 09-13-2006 11:38 AM

NO!!!!

The 250 Pro XS DOES NOT require Premium Fuel - it requires Regular 87 Octane fuel. The engine starts production in early October...

BobH 09-13-2006 01:27 PM

Interesting!!!

Like I said when I phoned Mercury yesterday I got a lady that answered the phone and when I asked her she asked a technition that very question and she said that he told her it required 91 octaine fuel. She did not however sound that confident with this answer. I know the 225 Pro XS can run on regular however this is important to me also because I am trying to decide on the 275 Verado or the 250 Pro XS and premium up here has usually lost its higher octane levels as it is sitting in bulk tanks that rarely gets purchased quickley.

Sorry for the misinformation if it is incorrect however this came right from Merc.

Maybe someone from Mercury can clear this up.

Sunshine 09-13-2006 01:40 PM

Maybe she was confused with the canadian conversion ...... :rotflmao: :rotflmao: :rotflmao: :rotflmao: :rotflmao:

Sorry ..... I just could not resist ..... LMAO

K Gonefishin 09-13-2006 01:42 PM

My Ranger is in the shop right now with some work to my kicker getting done, I took it to one of the best Evinrude guys in Ohio, from what he says Ohio doesn't regulate octane like they do in Minnesota and other states the gas we get marked 87 might only be 85 1/2 or 86. I have a 250 Evinrude DI and he said absolutly run the higher octane gas with the kicker and the main motor I have same tank so no choice anyhow. He took one look at the prop hub and saw the black and he knew we are using the cheaper gas and said if you are running the XD-100 anyway you should use the higher octane gas, if we don't we could regret it. Now this is for Ohio gas I don't know a whole lot about this but from this point forward I will run the 89. I was also trolling with my big motor and it died, took 10 cranks to get it going again he said the gas caused this and if the motor was running clean we would have no problem trolling with the 89. If some of you guys don't know what gas to run and it's questionable run the better gas, why spend 30-50K for a nice rig and motor and try and save 4 bucks per tank on cheaper gas.

bob oh 09-13-2006 03:15 PM

Actually I have been told by some very good mechanics and an oil industry engineer that running premium in an engine that is set up to run regular is very bad for the engine? They said that one of the grades (I have forgotten which, but I think regular) burns hotter and that running hi test would result in uneven fuel burn??? Just what I have been told == I have no personal knowledge although I did stay in a Holiday Inn express this year LOL !

rod bender bob

JLD 09-13-2006 04:07 PM

Someone from Merc just "did" clear that up for you!

2 DOGS 09-13-2006 04:10 PM

I believe Kloss1 is employed at Mercury so would have a tendency to think he'd be the man in the know.