Walleye Message Central

Walleye Message Central (https://www.walleyecentral.com/forums/index.php)
-   General Discussion (https://www.walleyecentral.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=11)
-   -   Do Muskies Hibernate come ice? (https://www.walleyecentral.com/forums/showthread.php?t=123610)

Hutch 05-29-2002 06:56 AM

Do Muskies Hibernate come ice?

Read an article pertaining to pike being caught thru the ice .The article said it was rare or non existent to catch a Muskie thru the ice ....not that I would want to since the chance for its survival would be in jeopartity.....yet it raises the question dto they go into a form of hibernation where they shut systemsdown Whats your opinion on this subject.

Esox Maniac 05-29-2002 08:43 AM

RE: Do Muskies Hibernate come ice?

Interesting subject. But I don't think they hibernate. If they did the Native American spearer's would not be harvesting them in exercising of their treaty rights. There are also a few caught through the ice by ice fisherman. Perhap's more than we know about, i.e., Muskie goes in to ice shanty and comes out as pike filets, evidence goes down the ice-hole. Their metabolism's may slow down, but I hardly think they shut down entirely. Being they prefer water a bit warmer than N. Pike, I would think they're hanging out in the warmest area's, i.e., deep water, open water or near springs, stream inlets etc. It would have been interesting if the Muskie tracking studies had went a full 12 month life cycle.

Maybe some of the Canadian lake trout ice fisherman can provide some insight- are you catching any Muskies through the ice when you're out there for lakers? Of course most of the time it's going to be a bite off. So, same may be true of walleye, crappie ice fishing. If you're fishing a lake w/ no N. Pike, the bite off's would most likely be Muskie's. Sometimes when no scientific evidence exist's - anecdotal or field observation by amatuer's is the best evidence we have to use in speculation about the answer to this question. Anyone else out there have any input?

"It's your choice to Catch'em & Let'em Go!" :)

>< ))))*>

Al Warner

Hutch 05-29-2002 09:31 AM

Esox Mania

Some good points there has not been studies on this...hopefully not many are taken this way..

BigFishCarlson 05-30-2002 06:11 PM

No they don't. I can't give you the paper off the top of my head, but I know albeit with a low metabolism, they stay active, hence the occasional thru the ice catch as noted earlier. Mark

Don Pfeiffer 05-31-2002 07:51 AM

I know of some avid icefishermen that catch muskies every winter through the ice. Also look at how many the native americans spear through the ice. They are still swimming around when there is ice.
Don Pfeiffer