Walleye Message Central

Walleye Message Central (https://www.walleyecentral.com/forums/index.php)
-   Archery, Blackpowder, Rifles, Pistols, Shotguns...and whatever else you have. (https://www.walleyecentral.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=28)
-   -   A or X-Bolt 7mm-08 Left Hand (https://www.walleyecentral.com/forums/showthread.php?t=303921)

vtec 01-28-2014 08:09 AM

A or X-Bolt 7mm-08 Left Hand

I have a son that is on the fringe of hunting or not right now. He showed no interest until a few years ago when I picked up a Browning A-Bolt 7mm-08 for my other son. He tried target shooting with it and loved it and we have been letting him use it when we deer hunt. He seemed to want to hunt this season instead of shrugging off when we went out. He is left handed so has to switch over to shoot it.

Since I noticed that he may pick up the sport if I get him a gun that is exclusively his I have have been looking everywhere in vain for either a A or X-Bolt Browning, left hand, new or used. Everywhere I look they are out of stock or obscenely priced. Am I looking for the impossible or just not looking in the right places? Being in Wisconsin I am not even sure how to purchase from out of state. Actually I am pretty clueless because all but 2 of my guns were private parties out of newspapers. Craigslist doesn't allow guns and newspapers are now obsolete so I don't know how to look for a specific used gun. I am pretty set on sticking with Browning and this caliber but am open to suggestions. And I don't want to spend a fortune on something that might not be used if he waivers. I guess I am looking for the impossible.

Phil T 01-28-2014 08:36 AM

First, the gunsmith who lived across my backyard when I lived in western ND considered the A-bolt a rifle built to meet a price point. The X-bolt was a major improvement.
You may have to have a retail dealer order one from Browning.

Iowa D. 01-28-2014 02:46 PM

Go to

[URL]http://www.gunbroker.com/[/URL]

Search for the specific gun you wish to purchase, then look for a local FFA Liscense holder in your area. Remember if you purchase from out of state, you likely will not have to pay sales tax, big $ on such a purchase. Figure the total net cost of transaction to see if it is truely a value. Local transactions rom FFA holder range from $15-$30 her in IA, should be similar. Check Gander Mountian, now a sale that has free shipping for the next couple of days. Also check with Reeds Sporting goods(great prices), they are also listed on gunbroker as Northern Firearams.

Burr 01-28-2014 02:57 PM

I'm a lefty too, and about 20 years ago I decided I was not going to settle for shooting a right handed gun. I'm left handed, and I'll either shoot a left handed gun, or an ambidextrous gun.

I hear you on used gun prices - with Browning - look carefully on the specials they have to purchase a new gun. It's pretty much a given that you can find a coupon for $50 off, and sometimes, some models, you can get an 80-100 coupon. When you factor in a coupon savings, it's hard to justify the prices asked for used guns. At minimum, you have to have a number in mind and be willing to make an offer, and walk away if they won't meet your offer.

New or used, if your son doesn't take to hunting - a left handed bolt will probably be a hard sell to get rid of. At the same time, I obviously agree that you should buy a left handed gun if you are buying a bolt action for him.

Outside of left handed bolts, the other gun I shoot and like is the Ruger #1's. I only mention that because if he decides not to continue hunting, a number 1 would be a gun either you or he can hunt with being a true ambidextrous gun, and the ability to sell it later would be retained. Another gun that is not a true ambidextrous but has a tang safety, ejects on the right, is a Savage 99. Doubt you will find it in a 7-08 though.

I see Scheels has a couple locations in Wisconsin - I would suggest trying a larger retailer and ask them to check inventory at all their store locations, you might be able to get the gun you want shipped in from another store, and making it easier to purchase in your home state.

I've been able to negotiate several left handed bolt purchases from larger retailers because they pay attention to how long a gun has been on the shelf. If it's been there too long, they will deal on it. With a left handed bolt - they can often be on the shelf for too long. Look at the tag and see if there is a date on it. I've had to buy guns I didn't plan on buying because they accepted my offer...

The 7-08 is a nice choice in cartridge, imo.

BreezyPoint 01-28-2014 03:13 PM

Just a note on left handed guns...I had a left handed A bolt and it was a great gun. A few years ago I decided to sell it, because I basically stopped hunting...in fact I was never much of a hunter, but took it up so my son and daughter could be introduced to it (to counter all the solicitations my daughter got from PETA).

When it came time to sell I had 0 problems. I sold it within 24 hours, so don't worry about resale.

BTW, my strategy worked, my son and daughter both have 0 respect for PETA!

vtec 01-29-2014 09:11 AM

Thanks for all the ideas, suggestions and advice. I sure hope to find a used one before fall and prefer to get him a left hand model but talking to my son yesterday, what he really wants is a gun he can call his own. He said he wouldn't mind if we could not find a left hand model, he can shoot it right.

suntracker 01-31-2014 10:23 AM

if that's the case get a rem 700 and have some thing

BreezyPoint 01-31-2014 10:25 AM

[QUOTE=vtec;2397833]Thanks for all the ideas, suggestions and advice. I sure hope to find a used one before fall and prefer to get him a left hand model but talking to my son yesterday, what he really wants is a gun he can call his own. He said he wouldn't mind if we could not find a left hand model, he can shoot it right.[/QUOTE]

As a lefty who shot right handed for years, I can attest to the joy it gave me to shoot the left handed gun. My accuracy improved enormously!

REG 01-31-2014 02:58 PM

Keep in mind that it's not just the action on the gun that's out of whack for him, it's the stock too. The dimensions on right handed gun stocks are designed to put the barrel in-line with the shooter's eye and will just never fit him quite right, even if he can handle the bolt on the other side.

I really like the idea of getting him involved with the choice of gun model. I'll bet he'll be much more involved with it and a lot more excited to shoot it if he's got some input on it.

And I second the suggestion on Gunbroker.com - awesome way to get an idea of prices and availability - and very easy to buy something and have it shipped to your local FFL. Makes the whole country your gun store.

suntracker 01-31-2014 03:19 PM

[QUOTE=REG;2406609]Keep in mind that it's not just the action on the gun that's out of whack for him, it's the stock too. The dimensions on right handed gun stocks are designed to put the barrel in-line with the shooter's eye and will just never fit him quite right, even if he can handle the bolt on the other side.

I really like the idea of getting him involved with the choice of gun model. I'll bet he'll be much more involved with it and a lot more excited to shoot it if he's got some input on it.

And I second the suggestion on Gunbroker.com - awesome way to get an idea of prices and availability - and very easy to buy something and have it shipped to your local FFL. Makes the whole country your gun store.[/QUOTE]

the only difference in the stock is what side it is cut for the bolt. You should be able to drive the rifle left or right handed.