Walleye Message Central

Walleye Message Central (https://www.walleyecentral.com/forums/index.php)
-   General Discussion (https://www.walleyecentral.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=5)
-   -   1997 Lund Pro Sport 1700 - Anything you know about this boat?? (https://www.walleyecentral.com/forums/showthread.php?t=19603)

Crazyeye 08-07-2002 07:02 AM

1997 Lund Pro Sport 1700 - Anything you know about this boat??

I am looking at buying a 1997 Lund Pro Sport 1700 with a merc 115 2-stroke on it. The boat looks to be an awesome boat for my price range. Just curious of what any of you guys thought about this boat, especially those who have owned one..

Thanks

TAHOEJ 08-07-2002 08:35 AM

RE: 1997 Lund Pro Sport 1700

First fill it up with water and make sure she dont leak. If no leaks buy the boat. Safiest most stable boat you can buy in my eyes!!! Reason i say check for leaks, my buddy got a 2001 19' PRO-V, That leaks from main weld! GOOD LUCK

J.P. 08-07-2002 08:42 AM

Overall it is a good boat. With the 115 on it, the boat will go 45-47mph. Good on gas. The only thing I didn't like was the rough ride. Air pedastals help that alot.

crazyeye 08-07-2002 09:06 AM

Thanks guys, I am getting this boat tonight. It is a good upgrade from what i had and am looking forward to having it. If anyone else has comments on it, I'd appreciate it!

Suzuki 08-07-2002 09:14 AM

RE: 1997 Lund Pro Sport 1700 -

I have a 98, which is identical. Good all around boat. You can equip it for almost anything yet still take the family out pleasure boating.
The full windshield is great protection.
I agree with the ride. What you gain in top speed you sacrifice in rough water ride. Let me know if you have any specific questions or would like more details. I'm a big fan of my boat.

crazyeye 08-07-2002 09:17 AM

Is the ride really that bad? not that it matters now, i bought it, but any tips for setup would be great. It comes with a 3 bank charger and batteries, and a few other accessories, but not a hole lot more. I am thinking of getting the bimini top for it for the wife and daughter. Like i said, anything about the boat that you feel would interest me i wou like to hear. I am picking it up tonight!!!

J.P. 08-07-2002 09:34 AM

The ride depends on the type of lakes you are on. I thought the ride was rough but we fish the Great Lakes, Winnebago, Green Bay. Inland lakes won't get as rough. Put the air pedastals in if it doesn't have them and it takes the jar out of the ride. Then it depends on how you drive and how fast you want to go. There are ways around the ride. If it doesn't have an electric trolling motor on it and if you are going to put one on, make sure you put a 60" shaft on it. Otherwise the motor will come out of the water in a good chop.

Suzuki 08-07-2002 11:22 AM

Basically its a light boat and the hull flattens out quickly so if you are trimmed up at speed it tends to ride over large waves or wakes rather than cut through them. It rides a little better with a full tank of gas. Its easy to live with. You do get more top speed. I get 48(GPS) with optimal conditions and that ain't bad for a 115 with all the gear I have. Also this hull drafts little water so you can take it in some very small and shallow places.
I have the bimini but don't use it much. I tend not to fish in the rain and when I do I use rain gear. I have used it a few times while on a lake all day when it is hot. It was definitely nice to get out of the sun. A bow mount trolling motor is a must for serious fishing and a gas kicker could come in handy if your style of fishing needs it. You can determine that later. I have a stearn and bow graph as well as GPS. Add ons over the years. Like I said before this boat is very versatile. After you start using it you will figure out which gadgets will work for you. Don't forget the anchor! haha

crazyeye 08-07-2002 11:39 AM

how slow can you troll down with the 115 on yours?? I guess i was hoping that I would not need a kicker for trolling plugs.

Suzuki 08-07-2002 01:11 PM

I dont recall the exact speed since I always use my kicker to troll.
I know it will troll down enough to pull cranks (plugs) but live bait rigs and bottom bouncers may be difficult.