Walleye Message Central

Walleye Message Central (https://www.walleyecentral.com/forums/index.php)
-   General Discussion (https://www.walleyecentral.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=11)
-   -   what are the up and coming waters? (https://www.walleyecentral.com/forums/showthread.php?t=124276)

mike 12-02-2002 08:02 AM

what are the up and coming waters?

What do you think are the up and coming musky waters? also, what do you think are the waters that are on the decline abd why do you think they are declining?

mn_fisher 12-02-2002 11:18 AM

RE: what are the up and coming waters?

Up and coming: Vermillion, Big Detroit, Alexander, West Battle

Decline: Mille Lacs, most of the small metro lakes, Shamineau, Miltona

Holding their own: Leech, Cass, Bemidji, Wabedo, Little Boy, Winni

There are many lakes holding their own in MN, but meat fishermen, poor fish handling techniques such as pontoon trollers, and over fishing is hurting many lakes like Mille Lacs. It won't be long and the few true up and coming waters here will be on the decline too. There will still be decent fishing on those lakes, but not what it once was.

Just my two cents.

NC 12-02-2002 01:35 PM

MN_Fisher,
I'm not arguing at all, but I've always heard Mille Lacs was really starting to pick up the past few years. Am I wrong? Again, not trying to start trouble, just wasn't sure if my info. was correct.
NC

ToddM 12-02-2002 08:06 PM

What areas are you looking for?

Rip Vanwinkle 12-03-2002 05:04 PM

Lake Webster in North Webster,IN. is definitely on the decline. Poor management(weed kill)recently has had an immediate negative impact. I am afraid the extent of the damage has not even been seen yet. We will know more come spring time. On top of that there are some real bone head anglers that practice C&K(catch & kill)there too. Such a nice little lake. A real shame :'( :'(

mn_fisher 12-04-2002 03:34 PM

NC,

Sad to say the big lake is on the way down and it seems unlikely that the trend will change any time soon.

There are many reasons, but the biggest reason has to be the heavy fishing pressure and the poor fish handling techniques used by so many "experts" that fish the lake. One of the biggest problems is a group of pontoon trollers that don't even slow the boat down when they catch and release fish and, of course, they kill most every fish they catch. One guy has even been on TV and has made a big shot out of himself with his big pontoon and spread of planer boards. I think he works for the Post Office in Isle, but he seems to think he's a professional fisherman or something. Fact is, he's just a person with a pontoon who catches and kills a lot of fish and is partly responsible for the decline of the fishery.

I have no plans to spend anymore of my hard-earned dollars going to Mille Lacs when there is better fishing closer to home.

Good fishing.

no way 12-05-2002 11:38 AM

I have to disagree wth the big pond being on the decline. what you have is fish that are getting smarter. Do you really think one guy in a pontoon is going to make that big a difference in one year? I think you are looking for a scapegoat to cover up the fact that the fish are becoming educated. They just aren't as easy to catch and are frequenting different spots.

mn_fisher 12-06-2002 08:01 AM

I agree that the fish are getting more educated, are moving out to different spots and away from the heaviest fishing pressure, and have been following the open water baitfish more too.

However, there are a number of those pontoon boats on Mille Lacs and few of them handle the fish with any regard for the fish's welfare. They scoop the fish out of the water while the pontoon is moving, have ten minute photo sessions, and then just throw the fish back in the water and continue on their way. How many Muskies could possibly survive that type of handling? Thats why one sees so many of the big fish floating dead on the water.

One as to keep in mind that even though Mille Lacs is a large body of water, there is still a limited number of Muskies in it. Its not like there is an unlimited supply of +40 inch fish swimming around there. Even the loss of a hundred +40 inch Muskies in a year is going to have a big impact on that lake and from what I've seen, the lake is losing a lot more Muskies each year than that.

Add it all up and one gets fewer and smarter fish and that can only lead to poorer fishing. Keep spending your time on Mille Lacs if you like. I won't. I'm not interested when there are many other lakes in MN where one's chances of catching a good fish are much higher.

Good fishing.

no way 12-06-2002 10:57 AM

I would like to know where you are getting 100+ fish over 40 inches dying every year. That is a pretty specific number. If you are going to throw that out you should be able to back it up. Have you talked to any of these "pontoon" guys? I keep hearing this rumor and have the suspicion that it is something that one person saw and now it has grown to a fleet of pontoons commercial fishing the musky population. If you don't want to fish the lake anymore that is your right. But if you are going to hurt the business of the good people who own resorts and also guide on the lake, you should be responsible enough to back up the numbers you are claiming.

jlong 12-06-2002 11:33 AM

Sounds to me like someone (MN-Fisher) is trying the classic "scare tactic" to reduce the fishing pressure on his favorite honey hole.

I would try to educate the people you feel are "hurting" the fishery on Mille Lacs... rather than try and scare away more fisherman.... as a means to improve what sounds to me as an already GREAT fishery.

Increased fishing pressure in inevitable. Therefore, we need to learn how to manage it. I feel education is the best way beyond regulation.

As for upcoming waters.... I'd look a little further than just MN. The great lakes are developing several sleeper areas that are begging to be discovered (Green Bay, Detroit Area, and obviously Georgian Bay and the St. Lawrence River areas). A few southern reservoirs (Dale Hollow and Kincaid for example) are also developing quite nicely.

jlong