Walleye Message Central

Walleye Message Central (https://www.walleyecentral.com/forums/index.php)
-   Motors and Props (https://www.walleyecentral.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=33)
-   -   I found my fuel line problem, check this out! (https://www.walleyecentral.com/forums/showthread.php?t=193245)

JohnG 03-29-2012 05:45 AM

I found my fuel line problem, check this out!

I posted about a week ago about my 2004 Optimax 135 cutting out at wide open throttle, I took some advice and replaced my fuel lines and bulb with the new Mercury approved ethanol resistant lines, I also replaced the fuel filter. After installing the new stuff I decided to cut open the old lines and bulb to take a look, no wonder my motor wasn't getting enough fuel!

Make sure you are running the ethanol resistant lines! (On Mercury motors the approved lines are gray with blue writing)

[IMG]http://i152.photobucket.com/albums/s179/jgd2305/fuelline1-1.jpg[/IMG]

[IMG]http://i152.photobucket.com/albums/s179/jgd2305/fuelline2-1.jpg[/IMG]

[IMG]http://i152.photobucket.com/albums/s179/jgd2305/fuelline3-1.jpg[/IMG]

Juls 03-29-2012 05:52 AM

Wow....looks like corn...;)

That's unsettling....is it doing that inside the engine too, I wonder? Or, is it the rubber in the non-resistant lines that makes that happen?

Juls

micropterus 03-29-2012 06:04 AM

Do you have a fuel filter before the bulb?

TrapperMN 03-29-2012 06:12 AM

[QUOTE=Juls;1413291]Wow....looks like corn...;)

That's unsettling....is it doing that inside the engine too, I wonder? Or, is it the rubber in the non-resistant lines that makes that happen?

Juls[/QUOTE]

Yeah, It's the ethonol that eats the inner liner of non-ethonol resistant fuel lines.

yarcraft91 03-29-2012 07:37 AM

It looks like the people who rigged his outboard used the wrong kind of fuel line. I replaced the original fuel lines on my 1991 Johnson OB 2 years ago. The old line was stiff, but when I cut it open for inspection, there was no obvious problem on the inside. Ethanol-resistant fuel line has been available for many years, but doesn't always get used where it should.

REW 03-29-2012 08:28 AM

John,
I don't think that your pictures gave any indication that the fuel line was being eaten up by the fuel. It also doesn't appear that the fuel bulb was being destroyed by the fuel.

Rather, it looked simply like these deposits were dried residue of fuel.
i.e. fuel had been left in the hose and squeeze bulb during storage and the fuel had evaporated. It appears that this was the residue that was left behind after the fuel had evaporated.

However, it is very interesting that you posted the pictures, because I suspect that depending on what fuel is in use, and whether it has been treated or not could leave similar deposits in many boats.

It would be interesting if you could take the squeeze bulb and split hose to a chemist for a chemical analysis of the deposits seen in the pictures.

I am very doubtful that the chemist would find any rubber product in the deposit, but rather only fuel residue by products.

If you do have the analysis done - let us know.

By the way, prior to the issue, did you or the user of the boat and motor commonly run stabil or sea foam or similar product in the fuel tank and motor all of the time?

Just wondering.

REW

REW 03-29-2012 08:32 AM

John,
By the way, since this rig was a 2004 rig; I would think that the fuel line and squeeze bulb that was in the rig was an ethanol resistant fuel line.

Ethanol resistant fuel line and systems have been in use for about 20 years. So, I would be very surprised if your rig had anything but a fuel resistant hose and bulb.

Good luck
REW

jerr unlogged 03-29-2012 08:36 AM

Mr Paranoid here

Exactly the reason I run 91 octain (non-oxy) in my f115. Not taking any chances with a like situation. I also have a tendency to overdose with Seafoam. Knock on wood, never have encountered this unpleasant situation- - jerr

cast_and_blast 03-29-2012 09:00 AM

[QUOTE=REW;1413375]John,
I don't think that your pictures gave any indication that the fuel line was being eaten up by the fuel. It also doesn't appear that the fuel bulb was being destroyed by the fuel.

Rather, it looked simply like these deposits were dried residue of fuel.
i.e. fuel had been left in the hose and squeeze bulb during storage and the fuel had evaporated. It appears that this was the residue that was left behind after the fuel had evaporated.

However, it is very interesting that you posted the pictures, because I suspect that depending on what fuel is in use, and whether it has been treated or not could leave similar deposits in many boats.

It would be interesting if you could take the squeeze bulb and split hose to a chemist for a chemical analysis of the deposits seen in the pictures.

I am very doubtful that the chemist would find any rubber product in the deposit, but rather only fuel residue by products.

If you do have the analysis done - let us know.

By the way, prior to the issue, did you or the user of the boat and motor commonly run stabil or sea foam or similar product in the fuel tank and motor all of the time?

Just wondering.

REW[/QUOTE]

No way these were "dried deposits of fuel" or crud "left behind after the fuel evaporated". Assuming no leaks (OP mentioned none), how would the fuel evaporate? To evaporate, liquid needs exposure to air and an escape route othersie it's vapor. It's not going to go through the hose or the bulb, it's not going to go through the fuel pump and it's not going back through the fuel tank.

Can't say if it was due to ethanol or not, but the evaporating fuel theory doesn't pass the smell test.

Scott

TroyMansfield 03-29-2012 09:02 AM

It looks to me as an ethanol related issue, the crap you see in the line is what is left after ethanol fuel experiences phase seperation, which can happen in less then 30 days, I experinced this with my 225 opti, we have 2 1000 gal tanks at our camp, one is 91, which in Canada is non-oxy, and one tank is 87, well a couple years ago in Canada they started running ethanol in the 87 fuel, what a nightmare for the all the tourist operators with fuel caches and outpost camps, we had a few problems, but fortuanley we cycle through our gas and always have fresh stuff, but other camps that buy it way ahead of season didnt fare to well, any fuel with ethanol has a shelf life of 3 months, and I am quoting this from our Morgan Esso fuel plant mangager, he says if its not sealed and it is open to the atmosphere that it will draw water into the fuel and cause phase seperation which is very corrosive to many things. So we dont even carry 87 any more, just 91 octane, and no problems since