Walleye Message Central

Walleye Message Central (https://www.walleyecentral.com/forums/index.php)
-   Archery, Blackpowder, Rifles, Pistols, Shotguns...and whatever else you have. (https://www.walleyecentral.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=28)
-   -   Gun safe survive fire? (https://www.walleyecentral.com/forums/showthread.php?t=190850)

Pooch 02-12-2012 06:09 AM

Gun safe survive fire?

Has anyone ever had a gun safe that was actually involved in a fire or exposed to flame? Did the contents survive reasonably well?

I need to get a safe for a few guns, but mostly for old photos, paperwork and heirlooms. There are so many safes and claims out there that it is overwhelming.

Are gun safes airtight? What are the "good" ones? Prices are all over the place and I'm not sure price always indicates quality.

Some offer electrical connections, but wouldn't that create a potential weak spot for fire protection?

Can a safe be secured in an unheated outbuilding without any extra problems other than moisture?

Lots of questions, but looking for real experience with safes from you folks.

Thanks,
Pooch

wsummer 02-12-2012 07:22 AM

My in laws house just burned down 3weeks ago. He had 2 expensive gun safes holding 30+guns and another smaller safe holding 20+ guns. All 3 safes were completely destroyed as well as the contents inside including about 75+ guns all that was left was barrels. Guns safes are meant to withhold 1/2 hour of 1200 degree heat then the seal is broke and fire will get inside.. house burned to ground if it was a partial fire they might be OK in a safe.

brentfrank 02-12-2012 08:11 AM

If you haven't already check these out.

[url]http://www.libertysafe.com/[/url]

Ned 02-12-2012 08:23 AM

A friends house burned down last year.

He had 4 big browning safes(dont know which models) 2 of which ended up in the basement after they fell through the floor. A couple had well over 100 handguns in them as well as car titles and other important docs.

All of the guns were salvagable, Some of the guns had been really hot as your could see the color change in the metal. almost a case hardened look to them. this happened to his stainless smith revolvers mostly. his blued guns seemed to be just fine.

most of the leather slings were toast. they broke in half like a dry spagetti noodle when moved.

His car titles and such had taken on the old paper look where the edges were darker.

Now this probably was hotter than your typical fire would be. He lived in a rural area and by the time the volunteer fire dept. got there it was all they could do to contain the flames to the one structure and not burn down the out buildings as well.
The house went completely to the ground.

I guess i thought the brownings safe did their job very well considering they sat in a fire for over 5hrs. obviously it wasnt @ 1200f the entire time but none the less very hot.

muskyhunter47 02-12-2012 08:25 AM

the prices are all over for one reason you get what you pay for the best thing i can say is look at the fire rateing that will help you decide on what to buy i live in a town where the fire department is 2 miles away so i dont think my house would burn down also my safe is downstairs so my guns should be safe

djcoop52 02-12-2012 08:38 AM

I have a 880# JohnDeere Safe made by Liberty in my garage I keep the garage above freezing but temperatures changes a lot so I use a de-humitifying can that is rechargeable by putting in the oven for control of moisture seems to work fine. I bought my safe mainly to secure guns from accessiblity by grandkids we do keep some documents in it as well mine is ony rated for 45 minutes of fire protection hope to never find out if it works.

311Hemi 02-12-2012 08:46 AM

12 Attachment(s)
[quote=wsummer;1393157]My in laws house just burned down 3weeks ago. He had 2 expensive gun safes holding 30+guns and another smaller safe holding 20+ guns. All 3 safes were completely destroyed as well as the contents inside including about 75+ guns all that was left was barrels. Guns safes are meant to withhold 1/2 hour of 1200 degree heat then the seal is broke and fire will get inside.. house burned to ground if it was a partial fire they might be OK in a safe.[/quote]

I would be curious to know what brand safes they were and what the specs were on them.

K Gonefishin 02-12-2012 09:03 AM

Fort knox will go protect through a fire my friends hues burnt to the ground and his collection inside survived, his testimonial is on their site name is Dennis? They came in took pictures and gave him a we safe for free

fetchwillie 02-12-2012 09:26 AM

About 15 years ago I purchased the Liberty Safe and got the Presidental 40 that has a 2.5 hour burn time at 1200 degrees

I had researched the safe I wanted and walked into our local Scheel's store on the last day of the year and ended up getting what I wanted for 2.500, plus I had to pay a moving company to help get it into my lower level of a Rach style house

Well worth the effort, I wish I had two of them

Pooch 02-12-2012 09:28 AM

One more thoought...

After being in the fire service for 40 years, I've always felt that storing in the basement, preferably in a corner will give items the best chance to survive a fire. Drop down from the fire above will help protect the basement items for a short period. Don't forget that heat rises really fast in a fire. Think thermal drafts.

If there were room on my basement that's where the safe would be. I can see the error in storing a safe on the main floor. In a fire the heavy items hit the basement quickly and hard, possibly deforming steel and surely the seal.

Thanks for all the responses so far. It's all helping.

Pooch