Walleye Message Central

Walleye Message Central (https://www.walleyecentral.com/forums/index.php)
-   Trailers and Tow Vehicles (https://www.walleyecentral.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=35)
-   -   Sky Winch? (https://www.walleyecentral.com/forums/showthread.php?t=196347)

4JawChuck 05-20-2012 05:26 PM

Sky Winch?

Anyone have one of these Sky Winches?

Do you like it? Any drawbacks?

[url]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8FzY5sszXmE[/url]

REW 05-21-2012 09:37 AM

Really, What is the point?

Any product can be made to look good or look bad.

I wouldn't trust holding the boat onto the trailer with this winch.

So, if you don't trust the winch to hold the boat on the trailer, why would you use it?

I think that it would be a great thing to mount on the front of the boat to raise the anchor. After all, that is what it really is; i.e. it is an anchor windless mounted on the trailer tongue.

But, use what ever product makes you happy.

REW

4JawChuck 05-21-2012 10:58 AM

I like the idea of a windlass without any rope exposed, I use a chain attached to my winch stand to hold the boat tight to the roller anyway..I don't use my winch for keeping the boat on the trailer. Seen too many straps cut or cables snap and winches fail...not to mention having been whacked a couple of times by the handle spinning, all I need a winch for is to get the bow loop close enough to by load binder chain to latch the boat down.

Kinda wondering how much reduction there is and how hard the grip is on the rope...seems like it might chew it up pretty good. Seen one at the dealer on Saturday and had never seen one before so I thought I would ask.

Anyone actually have one, give us a review if you do.

Fishermaniac 01-03-2013 12:26 PM

Sky Winch

I saw the product demo'd at a trade show, then bought one and it's pretty amazing.
I use tie-downs and never use my winch for affixing boat to trailer (In fact, I think it's illegal in most States!), so holding boat is a non-issue.
I use some very dicey public ramps with alot of moss, slime, and potholes and slipping/falling is a very real concern. This product takes all of those problems away and you can trailer boat without getting near the water. HIGHLY recommended.

Fishermaniac 01-03-2013 12:29 PM

Anchor retrieval

Never thought of using one for anchor retrieval, but it's a great idea.
The Worth Anchor Mate and Minn Kota winches are completely useless, since you can't hold enough line or use proper rope for anchoring anyway. Mounting a SkyWinch would definitely be the best solution.
The rope would just spool under the winch, so you could use a basket and keep things organized.
Awesome idea!

REW 01-03-2013 03:04 PM

A Capstan has been used for many many years in all sorts of boats for
anchor retreival, or making lines tight.

[URL]http://www.powerwinch.com/powerwinch/controller?action=category&c=4[/URL]

REW 01-03-2013 03:08 PM

The general way that blue water boats anchor is that there is an anchor chain or rope anchor located below the anchor capstan.

When anchor is paid out, the line is simply pulled out of the anchor locker until a hook up is achieved.

Then, when the anchor is retreived, the rope or chain is simply pulled up via the capstan and the rope or chain drops into the locker located below the capstan.

[URL]http://www.google.com/search?q=anchor+capstan&hl=en&tbo=u&qscrl=1&rlz=1T4GGHP_enUS471US471&tbm=isch&source=univ&sa=X&ei=GgHmUPqrNo6-qQHn74Fo&ved=0CDoQsAQ&biw=1600&bih=721[/URL]

Good luck
REW

ffishman 01-03-2013 04:47 PM

That is a novel idea.

clawman 05-02-2017 01:11 PM

boat launch retrieval

I was looking for the launch assistant or retriever I've seen in the past and came across this, pretty cool!

olefart 05-07-2017 10:42 AM

3 Attachment(s)
I use the sky winch for a Grumman sport canoe, weighs 115 lbs empty.
I can launch with or with out a ramp, above the water, or next to it.
I just launched and retrieved the boat with 2 series 31 batteries, 4hp motor with 3 gal. tank. 55 electric transom motor, anchor & rope, and fishing gear, loaded for one person. with the trailer in the water to the top of the tires I had 6 inch vertical rise to get to the rollers on the trailer. if I was level with the water line I can hand pull it up on the trailer. Because my boat doesn't get wet or float on the trailer, so no bunks they wouldn't work, rollers are the only way for my application and where I can launch from. Side wind of 10, l have a walk way I put on the trailer so I can walk out to the end for launch and retrieval, I put the bow up to the roller, doesn't matter where the rest of the boat is, then I walk back to the winch holding the line taut put in winch and turn the crank, it will squeeze all the water out of a half inch line it gets a very strong bite on the line, I think the line might break before it would slip in the winch, it will straighten out the boat and haul the boat right up on the trailer.
I like it with this small light boat, it is versatile, I can haul a boat from any distance from the trailer, up a steep river bank with no launch, just add lengths of 1/2 rope to make the line longer, this winch doesn't have a spool to fill up nor a handle to break your jaw unwinding it, it takes two hands to back off a load if there is tension on the line. It is so much better then having to wind up the extra strap you had to yank off the spool to reach the boat, my line is attached to the bow of the boat it goes with the boat so where ever the boat sits, I just lace the line around the gear and tighten up with the handle for quick tightening of the bow line, in wind and waves.
Small light weight boats, Id say yes use it, and also use a safety chain and or straps for transporting, I can lock mine down in a cleat and have it still taunt after a couple miles of very rough dirt two rut road and a 50 mile highway drive.
I doubt I would use it on a bigger boat. my bigger boat I have to have the trailer in the water to the right depth then drive it right up to the stop, attach winch tighten a half turn and pull out of ramp area and tie down. I don't even want to think about hauling the boat off the ground and up on the trailer like I have seen done to get them off the ramp. lol worse case
hope this helps you decide what will be best for you.