Walleye Message Central

Walleye Message Central (https://www.walleyecentral.com/forums/index.php)
-   Boats (https://www.walleyecentral.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=32)
-   -   Value of Alumacraft Magnum 165 CS? (https://www.walleyecentral.com/forums/showthread.php?t=168552)

polarpower 06-29-2010 10:03 PM

Value of Alumacraft Magnum 165 CS?

I'm looking at purchasing a 1995 (?) Alumacraft Magnum 165 CS equipped with a 60 hp Mercury and a Shorelander roller trailer. The boat is in average condition, used, but not abused. It comes with a 12V Minnkota Powerdrive trolling motor, depth finder, and fitted cover. I'm not sure what a good price on this boat would be, there aren't very many for sale to compare to. Any input is appreciated. Thanks!

Thane 06-30-2010 06:45 AM

I don't believe the Magnum was even made in 1995 but I could be wrong. I have a 2005 Magnum 165cs (last year it was built) and it's the size of the new 165 Classic but more dressed up. Should be of similar value or greater value to the older generation Navigators but it's built with the wider gunwhales similar to that of the Dominator or Tourmament series. It's a great boat and if the price is right it should be a fine choice.

polarpower 06-30-2010 07:58 AM

Thane, I believe you're correct. Based on the year of the motor & trailer, the boat I'm looking it is probably a 1997 model year.

ChuckD 06-30-2010 08:40 AM

I almost bought a new 2000 Magnum 165 CS w/ a 75 Mercury 2 stroke, trailer for $12,000. Just to give you an idea what they were new. If in fair shape, $5-6K??

beeman 06-30-2010 08:46 AM

In my area it's what ever the seller wants for it

156 Attachment(s)
I wouldnt think it's worth very much at all being $12k boat new. I wouldnt pay $6k.

npauls 06-30-2010 05:42 PM

I just bought a 99 alumacraft magnum 165 cs in the fall with a ****ty little lowrance and a 40 hp 4 stroke merc. Also had a galvanzied bunk trailer and I payed $7000 canadian which at that time seemed like a super good deal compared to anything else I could find used on the market around here. The guys also met me half way at a lake to let me take it for a test run and check everything over. It is a very nice floor plan for me and I love it other then the fact it is way underpowered which will be fixed as soon as I can afford it.

Nate

sl8banner 05-31-2020 03:57 PM

1998 Alumacraft 165 magnum cs

Here we are nearly 10 years later. I am going to look at a 98 listed at 4000. Meeting at the lake to test it out. I have been looking for a boat in this price range for a long time. Alumacraft is a highly respected brand in my knick of the woods. (Utah) They are well built and will take alot of abuse. Once they get this old I think they basically hold 100% of their value. The condition of the equipment like motor, trolling motor, electronics etc. would influence me greatly on an Alumacraft this old. The hull will be a no brainer. The boat I am looking at seems to be average with dated equipment, no kicker included on a bunk trailer. At 4000 I am a little worried that there might be something wrong with it. The seller is telling me every thing works well, new bilge and live well pumps. Boat has a 1999 Merc 90hp. Ill update this post after I look at it tommorrow.

REW 06-01-2020 08:14 AM

Figure that the average price for that motor would be in the $2500 range. The hull and trailer would be worth about $2,000. So - somewhere betwen $4,000 and $6,000 would seem to be a fair price.

Remember, electric trolling motors and depth finders that are more than 10 years old have essentially 0 value with respect to resale price.

Also, realize that anything like a consumable - like a battery, locator, electric trolling motor are all worth essentially 0 since they get used up over time and one or all of them are likely needed to be replaced.

The key think to do is to check the compression and leak down on each cylinder and to check the lower unit to be sure that there is no water in the lower unit.

With respect to the trailer, if you purchase it, you will want to pull the wheels and check and if necessary replace the bearings and seals on each wheel. Also check all of the tie down straps and replace any that are worn. Also, pull the winch strap all of the way out and if worn, replace it. Also grease up the winch when you have the strap off of the winch. Check any rollers for wear on the trailer if a roller trailer and check the bunks for rot and decay if a bunk trailer.

In the boat, check the transom for soft spots and rot as well as check every inch of the floor and doors for bad spots and bad hinges. Finally go over every fastener on the boat, including the screws or bolts holding the seats to the floor of the boat. Don't be surprised if the holes holding the seats in place have soft spots or rot that need mitigation as well.

These are just the common sense things that go with the purchase of an older piece of marine gear that has been exposed to use and the elements.

Good luck and good shopping.

Take care