Walleye Message Central

Walleye Message Central (https://www.walleyecentral.com/forums/index.php)
-   Strictly Fishing (https://www.walleyecentral.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=16)
-   -   Trolling rods that won't break the bank (https://www.walleyecentral.com/forums/showthread.php?t=166677)

cspierings 05-20-2010 11:40 AM

Trolling rods that won't break the bank

I'm looking for some dependable/durable/affordable trolling rods for use with planer boards.

So far I have looked at Cabelas Depthmasters, Shimano TDR and Diawa Heartland rods.

I go back and forth between telescoping and two piece.

So of the rods listed what is the consensus interms of which is going to be the best bet for a reasonably priced solid rod? What about the action of the rod to use with cranks, harnesses and using them primarily with boards running mono or fireline.

Thanks

Esoxchaser 05-20-2010 12:04 PM

I use various Ugly Sticks for trolling for everything from Muskie through Steelhead, lake run browns to walleye.

locomoto 05-20-2010 12:09 PM

I have some of the Shimano Talora rods and really like them. I think I would've been just as happy with the Shimano TDR at less than half of the price. I'm in the market for a couple more planer rods and am almost certain I'll get the TDR's. I use 8' medium action for in-lines and planer mast fishing with crankbaits and it seems to work for me.

Juls 05-20-2010 12:14 PM

[quote=Esoxchaser;1202312]I use various Ugly Sticks for trolling for everything from Muskie through Steelhead, lake run browns to walleye.[/quote]

Shakespeare model# CAL 1100 one piece 7' Med Ugly Sticks for Walleye........$28.00 at Bass Pro.

Juls

Chad 05-20-2010 12:17 PM

[QUOTE=cspierings;1202303]I'm looking for some dependable/durable/affordable trolling rods for use with planer boards.

So far I have looked at Cabelas Depthmasters, Shimano TDR and Diawa Heartland rods.

I go back and forth between telescoping and two piece.

So of the rods listed what is the consensus interms of which is going to be the best bet for a reasonably priced solid rod? What about the action of the rod to use with cranks, harnesses and using them primarily with boards running mono or fireline.

Thanks[/QUOTE]

Scheels has a few new trolling rods out.
7'6 and a 8'6, both telescopic.
They also added a 12' and 14' two piece to their popular 10'6.
Lastly they added a 6'6" short to the popular 5' shorty.
I think they have it all covered now. I played around with them all when they came in and they all have a place and the action is perfect. I believe all the rods are under $100 with some under $50.

Pegsguy 05-20-2010 01:01 PM

I don't think you can go wrong with an UglyStick. Been using 4 of them as downrigger rods for 10 years or so and just had our first failure-oddly enough, it broke at the butt! Tom

MikeF 05-20-2010 01:53 PM

[quote]
Shakespeare model# CAL 1100 one piece 7' Med Ugly Sticks for Walleye........$28.00 at Bass Pro.
[/quote]

Juls had suggested these rods a few years ago and I bought 2 at BP on sale for 19.99. for eyes.
I have since picked up 2 more.
Great rod for the eyes and spring coho here on lake Michigan.
Last year we tried them as down rigger rods running 12lb test for king salmon and steelhead.
Light setting on the reel drags and it was a hoot fighing 10-20 lbs. kings on these rods.
Takes a while to get the fish in but it is like fishing for kings with an ultra lite setup.

Thank Juls
:bigsmile:

Mark Komo 05-20-2010 08:03 PM

A hoot indeed, eh mike.... ;) .

I have had some decent luck with the ugly sticks. Also, rapala had a pretty good rod, called the "long cast". Real cheap and stood up just fine. Telescoping and one piece. Around $20 or so. Now this was a few years back, so dont know if they still make em.

walleyejgr 05-20-2010 08:13 PM

tooth tamers sweet rods!!!

perchjerker 05-21-2010 03:44 AM

I have used the Heartlands for about 6 years now.

they work just fine