Walleye Message Central

Walleye Message Central (https://www.walleyecentral.com/forums/index.php)
-   Strictly Fishing (https://www.walleyecentral.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=16)
-   -   What is the BEST Spincast Reel?????HELP!! (https://www.walleyecentral.com/forums/showthread.php?t=186495)

wallifishrmn 09-29-2011 08:07 AM

What is the BEST Spincast Reel?????HELP!!

My wife does not want to use a open face spinning reel and is complaining about the bad spincast reels I have--I agree they don't work well.

What is the best one? I have 2 Daiwa Goldcast reels now and they keep fouling up no matter how many times I take them apart or clean them. I need a great reel for an adult not a cheap spincast for a 5 year old. She loves to fish with me---WOW am I a lucky man--but these reels are not helping me.

I don't care about price--just want a great reel. Someone suggested salt water spincasts--don't know anything about those.

HELP!!!!!!!

fshrman-r72 09-29-2011 08:24 AM

spin cast reels

Try Abu Garcia, they have about 3 sizes.

Bill Krejca 09-29-2011 08:44 AM

I'm not much on spincast reels, but if I were to buy one, I'd get one that has an oscillating spool/ line pickup. Daiwa used to offer several, not many makers have them.

The oscillation factor keeps the line from falling over on the spool -undercutting itself - laying the line fairly evenly on the spool (like with a normal spinning reel ), should result in elimination of the sudden casting stops, as the line jams up on the spool, so common with spincast reels. Keep in mind, also, that the gear ratio is almost always lower with spincast reels, potentially resulting in a reduced/less line retrieve per crank.

I know you stated your quest is for a spincast reel, but in this day of technology change, learning how to use a spinning reel is not very difficult, and in my opinion, worth the performance advantages.

Bill Krejca

wallifishrmn 09-29-2011 09:15 AM

I agree the best solution is for my wife to just learn to use a spinning reel. I use Shimano Spirex because I love the Quickfire and the rear drag. Spirex is the ONLY reel with both these features.

Skunkedagain unlogged 09-29-2011 11:37 AM

Zebco omega. Bought one for my dad last year. Very impressed with it.

TrollerMan 09-29-2011 11:43 AM

Zebco Omega reelno doubt

Howdy!
The high-end Zebco (a paradox, I know!) Omega is the best one in my view and experience.
Gutsier than half the "name-brand" spinning reels of similar price ($55 - $65 range)

Let us know what you come up with...

Here's a link to Bass Pro, other retailers may also carry this reel:
[url]http://www.basspro.com/Zebco-Omega-Spincast-Reel/product/44496/80944[/url]

TrollerMan

Jimmy Jig 09-29-2011 11:51 AM

My wife doesn't like an open reel either. She used to use a closed face, but I got her to switch to a casting reel which is a better deal...........

mudpuppy 09-29-2011 01:18 PM

I won't say these are best, but when my son was learning to fish he didn't like spinning reels either. So I got him a couple underspins. One was a little Shakespeare Synergy, doesn't have much line capacity but works well for 'gills. And an Abu Garcia 276UI Garcia Abumatic Reel Underspin2bb 3.6:1 100/8#. Carefree for him and thats saying a lot with a kid. And they made for a good transition for him balance and feel wise when he eventually converted over to a spinning reel. Maybe you can convert your wife eventually, too? Just a thought.

jigstop 09-29-2011 01:48 PM

I would say the Pflueger Cetina is probably one of the best out there. If you can get her to use and underspincast reel I would strongly suggest going with one. Not because they are better reels but because you can get such better spinning rods than you can get a casting rod. Yes I know there are great casting rods out there but there are A LOT more nice panfish and jigging style spinning rods than there are casting rods.

REW 09-29-2011 04:12 PM

I appreciate you wifes wishes, but I have to say that the best spin casting reel, is
None of the above.

Many years ago when the children were out with me and one more fouled up their zebco reel, I asked for the rod.
They gave me the rod, and I took the last zebco off of the rod and threw it as far as I could.
I vowed at that time, that I would never have another spin casting or closed face spinning reel in the boat. I never have.

The next time I took the children fishing I spent a half hour with each of them and taught them how to use an open faced spinning reel.
They all learned to cast within the first 1/2 hour and non have ever asked for anything else.

The same is true for my wife. She first used a closed face reel, but after ridding ourselves of the closed face reels, she quickly adapted to the open faced reels and couldn't be happier.

Just get a nice short body simple 2000 sized open faced front drag spinning reel with nothing fancy on the reel.

Have her always open the bail by hand, and always close the bail by hand.
Once she starts doing this it will soon be automatic and you can say good by forever to reel and tangle problems.

Take care
REW